Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

BLS 93-97 Camaro Bi-Xenon Projector Retrofit - Install Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look great! The one question I have is this: if someone was to order all four lamps, would it be possible to split them so only the two outside lights were on for low beams and all four for highs? Or is that not possible with this setup?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by BLSolutions
Here is a pic with the same camera used for our other headlight kit pictures. It may give a little bit different perspective.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...o/DSC02422.jpg
Is that all 4 still in that pic?

The cut-off looks a bit soft/fuzzy. Adjusting the shield toward/away from the lens slightly may sharpen it.

What bulb do these projectors use?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
Is that all 4 still in that pic?

The cut-off looks a bit soft/fuzzy. Adjusting the shield toward/away from the lens slightly may sharpen it.

What bulb do these projectors use?

Originally Posted by BLSolutions
the projectors take H1 lamps.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EsCrasston
They look great! The one question I have is this: if someone was to order all four lamps, would it be possible to split them so only the two outside lights were on for low beams and all four for highs? Or is that not possible with this setup?
HID's don't like being cycled on and off repeatedly, like halogen high beams. That's why the bi-xenon projectors use a small shield for the low beam cutoff that is then lifted by a solenoid to produce your high beam. This way, the bulbs are always under power.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 AM
FormerVendor

It could be done without too much trouble. Using a HID lamp as a high beam is fine as long as you are planning to use it continously, meaning no rapid cycling. There is a brief warm up for HIDs as well so again, this may not be the best option if you plan on using them intermittently. Since these accept a H1 lamp, you could run a halogen in the high beam location projectors which could be turned on only when you engage the high beam switch.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
HID's don't like being cycled on and off repeatedly, like halogen high beams. That's why the bi-xenon projectors use a small shield for the low beam cutoff that is then lifted by a solenoid to produce your high beam. This way, the bulbs are always under power.
I understand that. I guess I should have worded my question better. I personally am not worried about the high beams, but if I was to purchase this kit I would want all four housings, if even just for the appearance. I was more concerned with being able to just have the traditional low beams on by themselves. Eliminate the high beam portion of my question.

BLS - that's the answer I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

have you tested a tinted lense for light output? Not a style for everone but could look nice.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

One set gives you low and high,
Old 12-14-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EsCrasston
I understand that. I guess I should have worded my question better. I personally am not worried about the high beams, but if I was to purchase this kit I would want all four housings, if even just for the appearance. I was more concerned with being able to just have the traditional low beams on by themselves. Eliminate the high beam portion of my question.

BLS - that's the answer I was looking for. Thanks!
So just run two lights but 4 housings? Yeah, don't plug in the bulbs.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
So just run two lights but 4 housings? Yeah, don't plug in the bulbs.
LOL - Really? I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to spend a grand on headlights and not plug in the bulbs. Come on now. My point was that I am not concerned as to whether or not the high beams were HID's or not as long as the housings matched, but rather if I was able to run the outer lights without having the inner lights on with them. BLS answered my question.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:28 AM
FormerVendor

We have not tested output with a tinted lens but it could surely be done. The first objective was to produce the most light output possible so added a tinted lens would certainly reduce that.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks really good. Even with the black surround. Always great to see folks still producing products in the USA and for our older cars.

I'm really interested in when you might be setting up a group purchase. PM SENT.

Also, I dont know much about the HID systems and setup so I'm a little confused with the last few comments about which lights are on and off for the high and low beam settings and the amount of bulbs involved.

1) Are you saying that each individual light housing contains two bulbs?

2) Are you saying that when you turn on only low beams, all four light housings are illuminated instead of just the two outers?

3) how exactly are the high beams enabled or turned on off? With the normal switch or some other switch sold with the kit? Are the High beam bulbs always on and just covered/shielded?

4) I'm thinking a few years down the road, In case something were to damage the lexan or entire housing, is it easy/cheap to replace and repair? Do/will you be selling replacement parts should something get damaged from wear and tear or will you only be selling whole units?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperzone
Looks really good. Even with the black surround. Always great to see folks still producing products in the USA and for our older cars.

I'm really interested in when you might be setting up a group purchase. PM SENT.

Also, I dont know much about the HID systems and setup so I'm a little confused with the last few comments about which lights are on and off for the high and low beam settings and the amount of bulbs involved.

1) Are you saying that each individual light housing contains two bulbs?

2) Are you saying that when you turn on only low beams, all four light housings are illuminated instead of just the two outers?

3) how exactly are the high beams enabled or turned on off? With the normal switch or some other switch sold with the kit? Are the High beam bulbs always on and just covered/shielded?

4) I'm thinking a few years down the road, In case something were to damage the lexan or entire housing, is it easy/cheap to replace and repair? Do/will you be selling replacement parts should something get damaged from wear and tear or will you only be selling whole units?
Each housing has one bulb and a shield. The shield will allow for high beams. So when low beams are on, all four housings are lit up, click the high beams up and all four are now high beams.

No added switches are needed, and the harness to run both sides was a piece of work, all plug and play. Still very impressed with quality of setup and its output.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shownomercy
Each housing has one bulb and a shield. The shield will allow for high beams. So when low beams are on, all four housings are lit up, click the high beams up and all four are now high beams.

No added switches are needed, and the harness to run both sides was a piece of work, all plug and play. Still very impressed with quality of setup and its output.
+1, hyperzone, just google bi-xenon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrNiCVmn2ko
Old 12-15-2011, 05:15 PM
FormerVendor

You all beat me to the punch. Thanks for spreading the info. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Is there an expected date of sale to the public yet?
Old 12-23-2011, 09:53 AM
FormerVendor

We plan on running the intro group buy for these in January. Might be a tough time to launch right after the holidays as many surely just spent considerable cash already. We will see how it goes.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

great job guys. once these are a success you have to do something for our fog lights too.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Great design! I'm likely in for a set of four @4300k when a GP starts. The custom housings set this apart from all the other options and really add value to the design.

Are you using bulbs with a UV blocking coating? If not, the high UV output from the bulbs will eventually cause Lexan lenses to craze, and may deteriorate the plastic in the housings. Something to consider. Regardless, are the Lexan front covers easy to remove for replacement or service?

Last edited by JP95ZM6; 12-29-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by C_Rules
great job guys. once these are a success you have to do something for our fog lights too.
Thank you! Fog lights will certainly be a challenge as most aren't looking to put any real money into them. With good headlights, the fogs become less of an issue.

Originally Posted by JP95ZM6
Great design! I'm likely in for a set of four @4300k when a GP starts. The custom housings set this apart from all the other options and really add value to the design.

Are you using bulbs with a UV blocking coating? If not, the high UV output from the bulbs will eventually cause Lexan lenses to craze, and may deteriorate the plastic in the housings. Something to consider. Regardless, are the Lexan front covers easy to remove for replacement or service?
Thank you very much and excellent questions. Still undecided on using acrylic or polycarbonate for the front lens however either will be plenty strong and UV stabilized. The lens may removed without any issues if anything needs to be serviced. Much of the front lens is supported by the housing itself which will make the entire structure very strong.

Quick Reply: BLS 93-97 Camaro Bi-Xenon Projector Retrofit - Install Pics!