Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

T-TOP part discontinued from GM, any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got two brand new ones....going in soon. My originals are still hanging in there. I think they can be removed and maybe just painted and they would look good again. They still haven't shrunk and warped yet.....

Old 12-04-2018, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waiting to hear back from firehawk jeff
Old 12-05-2018, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok now that people has them . What about the sail roof panel in back of the t-top ? How can we get these ?
Old 12-06-2018, 07:07 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 ss
Ok now that people has them . What about the sail roof panel in back of the t-top ? How can we get these ?
MAGG Performance is the only company known to offer replacements. Beware - they recently took over the molds from 6LE Designs and I don't think many people have experience with them.

Even when I got mine, it looks like RK Sport actually did the fabrication. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I never saw RK offering the part..
Old 12-07-2018, 04:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
MAGG Performance is the only company known to offer replacements. Beware - they recently took over the molds from 6LE Designs and I don't think many people have experience with them.

Even when I got mine, it looks like RK Sport actually did the fabrication. I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I never saw RK offering the part..
Thanks for the reply I’ll look in to it but I wish gm can bring these back in production
Old 12-07-2018, 04:07 PM
Save the manuals!

Thanks for the reply I’ll look in to it but I wish gm can bring these back in production
That won't happen. Once parts get to a certain demand, Classic Industries will pick them up and that's going to be the next best source of supply going forward. This is where most people go to get original parts for their classic GM cars.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, as I learned from the dealer years back, GM doesn't directly make the parts for their cars, they go through other companies. Once those companies decide to stop manufacturing the parts for older cars you are pretty much screwed unless someone else steps up and decides to reproduce those parts. I am going to veer off-topic for a bit and stress that if I had my own car company, I would want to have former customers with my older cars to still have access to the parts to restore those cars to like new. To take it a step further, to TRY to use the same body frames for the models of cars so that you can literally swap parts from new production models to older models if the customer prefers the styling for that year. As a side business, my company could take custom requests and rebuild older models since the parts and frames will still exist to have this ability, or we can build a new production car with swapped parts from previous years based on customer wants. Instead of buying "cookie-cutter" cars, you now have a car company that offers absolute customization using old parts from previous models that can be swapped on newer production cars.

Unfortunately, the reality of it is, I don't have such a company and we are stuck relying on custom shops or finding ways to replace parts that don't exist anymore. I know I mentioned it somewhere but you probably could have a 3D-printing company produce these T-bar "end clips" out of hard plastic, there is really nothing to them at all. OR, a custom shop could probably weld on metal and shape it so that it fills the void and you never have to worry about leaking, ever! I am just saying, WE HAVE OPTIONS!

That won't happen. Once parts get to a certain demand, Classic Industries will pick them up and that's going to be the next best source of supply going forward. This is where most people go to get original parts for their classic GM cars.
Eh, I have bought from Classic Industries and their parts are EXPENSIVE! The mark-up is insane and they ONLY offer parts so long as these original equipment manufacturers are still producing the parts. So, once a company stops selling the product, Classic Industries won't be able to help you. This came from a sales rep I talked to long ago about the door panels for our cars! No one makes them so Classic Industries can't sell them!
Old 12-08-2018, 01:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

As mentioned above, Classic Industries, Year One, etc., are generally just retailers/distributors of reproduction parts which are made by other companies. Sometimes those items are even just drop-shipped from those other companies (as I've seen a few times when ordering from them for my Nova). But, they occasionally do have leftover stashes of NOS parts, and/or have contracted with other companies to make exclusive items under their name.

What's obviously best is when reproduction items are made on the original GM tooling; I've also bought some items like this, from a company called "Trim Parts". This is very high quality stuff, but also not cheap. In the antique/classic car world, there is a wide range of quality when it comes to repro items; some are great, some are decent, some are awful. These distributors (CI, YO, etc.) will often source from many different suppliers, so quality level may vary from item to item.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE!

$40 per set! Just bought three!!

Last edited by wssix99; 06-28-2019 at 11:50 PM. Reason: advertising removed
Old 04-27-2020, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any left

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
Ok, I can get these for less than $12 shipped to you.. I know that for one set it will cost about $15 depending on if they charge me tax... Does anyone want a set? I need some for myself and so do a few others so I figured I would buy a bunch and send them out from my house for a couple of bucks. They charge $10.50 just to ship two little pieces. The pieces cost about $2.10 depending on tax or ???fee. If we can get enough people to order them, We can probably get them for half that, even with me shipping them to you from my house.

what are the chances of you still having some of these?
The following users liked this post:
k3000 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

hawks 3rd gen has repos....try them
Old 04-28-2020, 03:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Ok, a question?

Other than for looks, do these seem to have any actual function to prevent leaks? Been wondering...
Old 04-29-2020, 10:49 AM
Save the manuals!

No clear function. They cover cover a physical gutter that drains water out from the T-Top area.
The following users liked this post:
k3000 (04-29-2020)

Quick Reply: T-TOP part discontinued from GM, any recommendations?