Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How hard is GM clear coat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How hard is GM clear coat?

I polished my '02 Z28 with my Griot's Garage DA and the Meguiar's Micro Fiber DA system. Fantastic results but I still see some slight swirls and I don't think I was aggressive enough but I was being conservative as I had never used the system before.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM clearcoat is relatively hard. The key to correction is to take your time with each step and don't move on until you're satisfied with the progress.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ZaneO
GM clearcoat is relatively hard. The key to correction is to take your time with each step and don't move on until you're satisfied with the progress.
Thanks for the info. Time to get a xenon light to help guide my progress.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Need Gofast in here, but he told me to be as easy as possible because the clear on these cars is hit or miss. Some can take some punishment and some can't.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try Menzerna SIP its made for hard clears like GM, I ordered some yesterday from autogeek cant wait to try it out.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroSS27
Try Menzerna SIP its made for hard clears like GM, I ordered some yesterday from autogeek cant wait to try it out.
I will double that. I almost always have to use Mezera on the very hard clears of the Vette and Camaro. Try SIP on a orange pad and finish out with 106FA on a white or black pad. Works very well for me. For more stubborn stuff I will start with m105 on a purple foam wool or W-5000 megs double sided wool, before moving to Mezera. In GoFast's detailing thread, the GM hard clear issues are covered, if you have some time to sort thru it, he goes a bit more in depth.

Im not familiar with Griots DA, but I will say, on my Porter Cable, I almost never use it below the 5-6 settings. Possibly your polisher was at to low of a speed?
Old 01-01-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try the Mezera and I'll try again with the Meguiar's MF system.

The Griot's DA machine is fantastic... a lot of people on autogeek use it and I use it on 4 to match the opm as suggested by Meguiars.

Quick Reply: How hard is GM clear coat?