Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LAST CHANCE to buy gauge overlays...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sommer86
Mark/6LE...

Do we need to hire XxXTransAmXxX do do our PR?? lol... He's done a great job so far, hahaha.
**** I'll do pr, Ive got nothing else going on atm
Old 02-07-2012, 04:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
Is there an install write-up anywhere for these? I'm more concerned with putting the needles back on and the gauges not being off.
It really isn't too tough. You just have to pay attention a bit and take some pics. Are you also buying needles? If so, the needles include my detailed instructions. If not, I can just email them to you so you can it it all back together again the same as before.

**And here's an update**
To everyone with a needle order, the needle machine crapped out again and I've been moving the last 3 weeks and prepping for my first baby, and Mark can attest to that, lol. But The machine should be good again in a day or 2 and the orders that were finished before hand will ship this week. The last orders will go out no later than Saturday I believe.

-Mike
6LE Designs
Old 02-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Launching!

Sommer, are the needles still going to be available in a few weeks or are they no longer going to be produced with the overlays going away? What about the 6LE bezels?

I would like to purchase both of these items to go with my new overlay, but haven't completely decided on a final style yet and need to know where to rank that decision on my priority list.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

The needles will be available, they are made in Burbank, the overlays are made in Arizona
Old 02-07-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really isn't too tough. You just have to pay attention a bit and take some pics. Are you also buying needles? If so, the needles include my detailed instructions. If not, I can just email them to you so you can it it all back together again the same as before.
I'm thinking about buying needles, probably will. If they come with instructions, all is good.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

so question about the needles... if i got blue needles would they glow blue with red led backlighting?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^Purple...
Old 02-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the most creative ones recently...

Page is still up (we're still waiting on money for machines) place your order...
Old 02-07-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^thats pretty sick!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

If we have an overlay with a graphic in the middle like that, would/does it look wierd w/o any bezels for the different gauges?

And on the needle topic, what color would white needles light up with the factory pontiac bulbs?
Old 02-07-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

That overlay is def unique!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shenlon
Sommer, are the needles still going to be available in a few weeks or are they no longer going to be produced with the overlays going away? What about the 6LE bezels?

I would like to purchase both of these items to go with my new overlay, but haven't completely decided on a final style yet and need to know where to rank that decision on my priority list.
Yes, i'll still make needles. I make them locally in Burbank so i can make them FOREVER, hahahahahahaha (evil laugh)

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
I'm thinking about buying needles, probably will. If they come with instructions, all is good.
They sure do. Really easy to install too.

Originally Posted by maxplusten
so question about the needles... if i got blue needles would they glow blue with red led backlighting?
Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
^^Purple...
Purple, like Mark said. Think of it as paint... if you mix colors you get different ones after. The needles will be the same as the LED's. The other really nice thing about the white ones is that they'll look white in the day and can look any other color at night.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Addict

This would look cool... without the letters:

Old 02-07-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Purple, like Mark said. Think of it as paint... if you mix colors you get different ones after. The needles will be the same as the LED's. The other really nice thing about the white ones is that they'll look white in the day and can look any other color at night.
Hmmm....this may make me rethink a needle purchase. I wanted to get white with them lighting up white. Can you just change the bulbs for the needles?

Last edited by 2QuikTA; 02-07-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You would have to custom wire an LED at each needle location to have the needle glow a separate color from the backlighting. Factory uses those icky bulbs but that allows for the red or orange needles with the sort-of white lettering.

I had green LEDs in my gauges but stock red needles. It sucked a bit because the needles were hard to see sometimes. I have a crappy pic which makes it look worse than it really was (also shows dark spots that didn't really exist) but it was still not too great. I bought white needles from Sommer so that they would glow a nice green at night too, but then I wrecked the car before I ever got around to pulling the gauges again to install them.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...es_cellpic.jpg
Old 02-07-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can't decide on white needles with red faced gauges or red needles. Using blue LEDs so they'd light up blue or purple at night.
Anyone have pictures of purple needles?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Does anybody else have hot spots using LEDs? What I mean is one spot is lit up really bright and the area around it gets progressively duller. Some areas on the overlay don't light up well at all. It'll do the job, but doesn't exactly look great. I don't have my blue 194 LEDs yet, but I was able to test out a red 5 SMD LEDs 360 degree lighting, a red 9 SMD LED 360 degree, and a green 6 forward facing LED. The green one left the worse hot spot, followed by the red 9 one. The red 5 one was the best, but still had a problem. Not so much of a hot spot, but that it didn't light up the entire section the same brightness. I noticed the regular incandescent 194 bulb light up the most evenly, but makes my gauges look factory red. Of course the red LED made them super red, and the green made them a nice green.

Don't get me started on the warning lights, I can't even see those in day light. Difficult to see even at night! The font is much smaller than factory. I have white LEDs instead of the red and yellow. They now light up a dull purple with these gauges. They were extra bright behind the factory gauges, thats what bugs me the most. I'm pretty sure I'm going to cut out that section from these 6LE gauges and cut the factory overlay to fit behind the TA bezel. I could live with the other lighting issue, but not the warning lights. I shouldn't have to do that with the price of these, but whatever.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
Does anybody else have hot spots using LEDs? What I mean is one spot is lit up really bright and the area around it gets progressively duller. Some areas on the overlay don't light up well at all. It'll do the job, but doesn't exactly look great. I don't have my blue 194 LEDs yet, but I was able to test out a red 5 SMD LEDs 360 degree lighting, a red 9 SMD LED 360 degree, and a green 6 forward facing LED. The green one left the worse hot spot, followed by the red 9 one. The red 5 one was the best, but still had a problem. Not so much of a hot spot, but that it didn't light up the entire section the same brightness. I noticed the regular incandescent 194 bulb light up the most evenly, but makes my gauges look factory red. Of course the red LED made them super red, and the green made them a nice green.

Don't get me started on the warning lights, I can't even see those in day light. Difficult to see even at night! The font is much smaller than factory. I have white LEDs instead of the red and yellow. They now light up a dull purple with these gauges. They were extra bright behind the factory gauges, thats what bugs me the most. I'm pretty sure I'm going to cut out that section from these 6LE gauges and cut the factory overlay to fit behind the TA bezel. I could live with the other lighting issue, but not the warning lights. I shouldn't have to do that with the price of these, but whatever.
If I remember correctly you wanted to make sure the warning lights were as hidden as possible, didn't want them noticeable.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by McNord
If I remember correctly you wanted to make sure the warning lights were as hidden as possible, didn't want them noticeable.
Right, but you said it was just the way some pictures were taken that made them look more noticeable and we just left it at that. I meant nothing about their light output. I couldn't tell you if my SES light came on if there was any day light outside for example. I just didn't want some cheesy text that you could very easily read (without the warning light being on) Basically just like factory, not easily read, but lights up just fine. I'm not mad, just upset that I was expecting something else. The gauges look great! I can fix what I don't like.

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 02-08-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can you do a 200 mph version with stock letters and numbers? I would like 2 like that, 1 with the 30th anniversay emblem.

Quick Reply: LAST CHANCE to buy gauge overlays...