Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Dynamat Install Question!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have sound insulated all 3 of my vehicles. 100% What you are talking about is just step one. You want to put some closed cell foam on top of it as well to really make it work. What dynamat is, essentially is just a vibration dampner, yes it does help a small amount on db reduction, but the true deadening is from the FOAM on top of the dampner.

Look up SecondSkin and you will see all the steps to truly make a ride acoustically dampened.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And step 3 being a mass loaded vinyl.... Closed cell foam is just used as a barrier between the vibration dampner and mlv. Second skin is a good choice though, the luxury liner pro is a good product.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Launching!

sounds like step 2 and 3 add alot more weight as well.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:14 AM
12 Second Club

He speaks the truth on the closed cell foam. i used it as well. as far as weight, who gives a ****? do alot of pro-stock racing with that thing? if it bothers you that much, put in a fresh air filter.....
Old 02-06-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
In the rear I'd mainly concentrate on walls in the trunk stump area and qtr panels, also consider going over the trunk stump area from under the car (and floor-pan) with some Cascade VB-1S PRO Quiet Kote Damping Spray. It sticks and works a lot better than using regular undercoating.
This is correct; I just put Hushmat, two boxes in the SS. I did not have enough to finish the trunk and do the doors. It was a bitch!

The area that needs the most love is the hump/stump that goes over the axle, it is bare sheet metal with no sound deadener.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

I used about 120 sq ft of edead all over my SS. Another thing you can do is buy some bags of cotton fibers from hobby lobby and stuff it in the areas behind the rear speakers, the doors, just anywhere there is a void between panels. If you can find some big chunks of foam put it in the area where the spare tire is, if you have it removed, that also dampens some road noise.

Quick Reply: Dynamat Install Question!