Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 05-20-2016, 01:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

LED interior lights swap out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default LED interior lights swap out!

Hello all!

I had recently read a thread on here about swapping out the interior lights with LEDs. This sounded like such a great and easy idea that I ordered my bulbs. It took me about 15 minutes to install and it is SOO MUCH BETTER!!! All I did was my 2 map lights and the dome light.

All bulbs were ordered from superbrightleds.com and I received them 3 days later. I have a 2002 Trans Am, so for the map lights I used (2) WLED- xHP9-T cool white bulbs. For the dome (not pictured bc I'm not really satisfied) I used (1) RL4410-xHP9 Rigid Loop Festoon bulb. The reason I'm not satisfied is that the light is directed straight back, instead of having a 180 degree coverage to help light the back seats. If anyone has a suggestion to get a better bulb for the dome light, I'd appreciate it if you let me know.

I recommend this upgrade, at least the map lights to anybody who has $30 lying around and a few spare minutes!

Name:  photo-15.jpg
Views: 3542
Size:  31.1 KB
Old 02-14-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! I've left the stockers in there because i like privacy and feel like these lights are so dang bright that everyone around you is gonna be seeing everything in the cabin also being blinded while your driving. I dunno, maybe its not that bad though you tell me. Defiantly looks a lot better!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waiting to get my car back from the painter to do this!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got red leds from superbrightled's.com i love them i just need to get some led strips or something for the floorboards!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Hello all!

I had recently read a thread on here about swapping out the interior lights with LEDs. This sounded like such a great and easy idea that I ordered my bulbs. It took me about 15 minutes to install and it is SOO MUCH BETTER!!! All I did was my 2 map lights and the dome light.

All bulbs were ordered from superbrightleds.com and I received them 3 days later. I have a 2002 Trans Am, so for the map lights I used (2) WLED- xHP9-T cool white bulbs. For the dome (not pictured bc I'm not really satisfied) I used (1) RL4410-xHP9 Rigid Loop Festoon bulb. The reason I'm not satisfied is that the light is directed straight back, instead of having a 180 degree coverage to help light the back seats. If anyone has a suggestion to get a better bulb for the dome light, I'd appreciate it if you let me know.

I recommend this upgrade, at least the map lights to anybody who has $30 lying around and a few spare minutes!

All i did was switch the bulb around so it faced the front of the car ( mine could be installed either way and work ) and bent it backward to angle towards the seats, my loops had some play and bent a little without breaking, so it lights up the back seats instead of the cargo.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:41 AM
TECH Junkie

I had the same problem with the rear lights. The light faced backwards. So I took some copper wire and twisted it really tight and made a loop on both sides. I was able to slide that loop onto the connector in the socket and face the light down. Hard to explain, but took 5 minutes tops.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Looks good, just ordered all LED replacements from ijdmtoy.com

BTW did u get 44mm or 42mm ones?

Last edited by MidnightMafia; 02-15-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Looks good! I've left the stockers in there because i like privacy and feel like these lights are so dang bright that everyone around you is gonna be seeing everything in the cabin also being blinded while your driving. I dunno, maybe its not that bad though you tell me. Defiantly looks a lot better!
I thought the same thing about them but thought for the price, I could at least try the map and cargo area lights and after installing mine, I liked them rather well.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

^ Maybe i will try them after all, that's a good point.. Not as bad as im thinking than i guess?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Launching!

So I have been looking to do this to my car for a while now and I just went out in the driveway to try it. I think I'm really stupid or something cause I can't seem to get the map lights out...hah also there is supposed to be lights in the Heat/AC controls right? Well mine are also out and realized it's going to be a pain except where do the lights even go in there??
Old 02-18-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I tried a lot of ways to get my map lights out. I finally just got a paper plate and some needle nose pliers and crushed the bulb. I was then able to grab hold of the filament with the needle nose pliers and pull them out. Took me 30 minutes to figure this out and only 2 to get the job done
Old 02-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
I tried a lot of ways to get my map lights out. I finally just got a paper plate and some needle nose pliers and crushed the bulb. I was then able to grab hold of the filament with the needle nose pliers and pull them out. Took me 30 minutes to figure this out and only 2 to get the job done
As much as it sounds like that would be the fast way to do it lol I'd like to know how I could get them out of there if I didn't like the LED lights so I could just put the stock ones back in.

Quick Reply: LED interior lights swap out!