Sponsored by: DashLynx

Shift Light Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shift Light Help

Whats up enthusiasts,

So I am going to be wiring a raptor shift light from ws6store.com and had a few questions with the install. Ive done this once on a 94 z28 back in 2007 and do not remember much of the install.

First: I know the one tach wire that I have to splice into is on the passenger side toward the front right where your feet sit after taking off the panel. But what color is the wire and is there more than one module I need to specify?

Secondly: For the ground I believe last time I just grounded it to the support bolt for the steering column, does anyone know of a better spot?

Third: For the power, what is a good source to cut into? I believe I took the source from my radio fuse. However I all ready have my radar detector spliced into it currently. Can I still use the radio for both or is there a second good fuse source you recommend?

Your advice and input is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Whats up enthusiasts,

So I am going to be wiring a raptor shift light from ws6store.com and had a few questions with the install. Ive done this once on a 94 z28 back in 2007 and do not remember much of the install.

First: I know the one tach wire that I have to splice into is on the passenger side toward the front right where your feet sit after taking off the panel. But what color is the wire and is there more than one module I need to specify?

Secondly: For the ground I believe last time I just grounded it to the support bolt for the steering column, does anyone know of a better spot?

Third: For the power, what is a good source to cut into? I believe I took the source from my radio fuse. However I all ready have my radar detector spliced into it currently. Can I still use the radio for both or is there a second good fuse source you recommend?

Your advice and input is greatly appreciated.
For tach signal I used the PIN 10 at the computer (white wire). For the ground I used the metal bar that is connected to the body under the glove box and for the power I used the traction control power.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bene
For tach signal I used the PIN 10 at the computer (white wire). For the ground I used the metal bar that is connected to the body under the glove box and for the power I used the traction control power.
Cool, So this pin 10 computer white wire is the box by the passenger seat foot area right? And with the traction control source will the power be disabled for the shiftlight if the tcs is turned off?
Old 03-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Trunion King

Cool, So this pin 10 computer white wire is the box by the passenger seat foot area right? And with the traction control source will the power be disabled for the shiftlight if the tcs is turned off?
No. The tach wire is at the computer, inside the engine bay. You have to take the computer out of the tray and take the cover off.

If you tap the power wire before the the traction control switch it will stay on. It will only be off when the key is off from the ignition.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No. The tach wire is at the computer, inside the engine bay. You have to take the computer out of the tray and take the cover off.

If you tap the power wire before the the traction control switch it will stay on. It will only be off when the key is off from the ignition.
Damn I am not sure if the wire is that long to reach. You know where I am talking about by the passenger side seat. You pull off the right panel where your right foot would be to access the tach wire.

What if I just hooked it up to the tcs fuse for power?

Also what is the max and min ampage I can hook the light up to?

Thanks again
Old 03-17-2012, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 03-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Trunion King

Damn I am not sure if the wire is that long to reach. You know where I am talking about by the passenger side seat. You pull off the right panel where your right foot would be to access the tach wire.

What if I just hooked it up to the tcs fuse for power?

Also what is the max and min ampage I can hook the light up to?

Thanks again
Maybe somebody can confirm here if that is the same wire.

This link what I followed when I was installing mine.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ht_install.htm
Old 03-17-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe somebody can confirm here if that is the same wire.

This link what I followed when I was installing mine.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ht_install.htm
Yeah Im not sure either, I really dont wan to go the pcm route because I know we can do it the other way. Im planning on doing this tomorrow morning I hope I can figure it out blaaa lol
Old 03-17-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone install a shiftlight/tach on a ls1 fbod that did not connect it directly to the pcm under the hood??
Old 03-17-2012, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dddude
Old 03-17-2012, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe try the electronics section, instead of making two threads in the wrong section ? Btw why not save the grief and hook it to the pcm , there is no good reason not to ?
Old 03-17-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
Maybe try the electronics section, instead of making two threads in the wrong section ? Btw why not save the grief and hook it to the pcm , there is no good reason not to ?
I deserve that, I am just working in a real time constraint right now. I just dont want to have to extend the wire because I know it can be done this way. In all honesty I may have to
Old 03-17-2012, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

If your installing a raptor shift light. Thier should be no need to extend the wire. When I installed mine to the pcm I had plenty of wire to make it.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by luna123black
If your installing a raptor shift light. Thier should be no need to extend the wire. When I installed mine to the pcm I had plenty of wire to make it.
How do you access the pcm from inside the car?

Like what route do you take?

And can anyone explain this pin thing better to me. I understand that it is a white wire but if I were to be looking straight at the pcm from what view is it if anyone can explain it to me in easier terms.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

i ran mine under the dash pad ocer to the pass side then down the dash and thiers a grommet right behind the pcm you can poke the wire through. as far as what pins read the link posted earlier in this thread. you have been giving all the information that you need to do this. you just have to do the research from here.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you splice in PIN 10 white wire on the RED PCM connector. I didn't see that mentioned. Luna is correct get under the passenger side of the dash, pull off the access panel and poke the wire through the grommet on the firewall with the other bundle of wires. Then route it up and solder into the correct wire.

For power I spliced into the cigarette/accessory orange wire under the center console. 12 volts switched is what you want and is more than enough power to run the light.

For grounding I used a bolt near the airbag sensor on the tunnel also under the center console and had no issues.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All right thanks guys, I think I am good to go for this.

I will be doing this tomorrow. I will post again if I have any small questions.

Thanks again all of you
Old 03-17-2012, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

I just posted this in your other thread but go to the raptor website. You'll be set from there.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how do you access the rubber grommet in the fire wall from inside of the car? what do you have to remove? the side plastic panel along the floor running board or the glove box etc?

Also how do you take off the plastic guard on the red pcm connector to view what pin number it is?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Launching!

how do you access the rubber grommet in the fire wall from inside of the car? what do you have to remove? the side plastic panel along the floor running board or the glove box etc?

Also how do you take off the plastic guard on the red pcm connector to view what pin number it is?
You just neeed to remove the plasticcover under the dash to get to the grommet. The easiest thing to do then is use a clothes hanger or something similar to fish the wires into the engine bay. I dont have a picture of exactly where it is, but once u get undder the dash u should easily see it.

the numbers for the pcm pins are underneath the plastice cover which if i remember correctly just snaps in place. I dont think u have to remove the bolt in the middle of it, but i am 2000 miles away from my car right now, so I cant exactly go look at it lol. easy enough though

Quick Reply: Shift Light Help