Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How to: New upholstery for my car

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Nice work! I agree that hog rings should have been used. Either way, they look awesome. I'd like to convert my tan interior to black (real) leather some day.
Ive used hog rings in the past. Me and my old man have done a few re-upholstery jobs in the past and after having used these zip ties I can tell you that Im not planning on using them again. Ease of use being one of them, no special tools required and easy redoing if something went wrong. When he looked at the way I was using the plastic ties, he said..."damn...that's clever!"

Last edited by chaman; 04-06-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
zipties work fine and they pull the material in better too.... It looks good
Thanks man! BTW...rot in hell! LOL!!! Some people, huh?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
Sounds like you did a very good job on them! I'm in for more pics!

Seller rubik818, Ebay. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chaman
Ive used hog rings in the past. Me and my old man have done a few re-upholstery jobs in the past and after having used these zip ties I can tell you that Im not planning on using them again. Ease of use been of them, no special tools required and easy redoing if something went wrong. When he looked at the way I was using the plastic ties, he said..."damn...that's clever!"
I believe that was my suggestion, wasnt it??? haha... I hated my hogring pliers, they would pinch my palms and not close like I thought they should.. I even went and bought a good pair but they were bulky and didnt get into the seams well. Plus, there was always a 1/2" gap in everything.. the zipties help eliminate the gap and you can get more attachment points in there so the seam being pulled in is uniform and not so wavy... I did make sure to use some new, expensive ones though... just to make sure they wouldnt crack, strip, or break later on...
Old 03-26-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chaman
Thanks man! BTW...rot in hell! LOL!!! Some people, huh?

Oh, you read the "I need a carfax" thread huh? That dude was a tool. What was really bad was that he's been a member for like 3-4 years and still made that thread...
Old 03-26-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ANTICOP RAM AIR
I believe that was my suggestion, wasnt it??? haha... I hated my hogring pliers, they would pinch my palms and not close like I thought they should.. I even went and bought a good pair but they were bulky and didnt get into the seams well. Plus, there was always a 1/2" gap in everything.. the zipties help eliminate the gap and you can get more attachment points in there so the seam being pulled in is uniform and not so wavy... I did make sure to use some new, expensive ones though... just to make sure they wouldnt crack, strip, or break later on...

Thats right bro, your idea alright. Pretty inventive. In the end I think these ties will outlive the hog rings which tend to corrode with time.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work! Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Those look great, might look into them for my redo.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Took the drivers seat out today and as expected I worked much faster. The foam on this one was in much worse condition, something which it was not a surprise, specially the side bolster. Time to do some repair!

I started with the seating area. It was starting to tear at the seating area and had some material fatigue. I got some half inch foam and went to town. I used 3M Foam Fast 74 adhesive. Thing sticks like crazy.

Then cut out the excess with an Xacto knife.

It does not have to be perfect since all that area will be hidden under the new piece which also has some thin foam padding.

The it was time to repair the side bolster. It was ripped down the very middle of it. I first glued the part together then added some foam over it.

Then I cut the new addition to reduce its bulk and generally matched the contours of the bolster itself. Again it does not need to look perfect.

I will let those rest until Sunday when I will probably add the new upholstery and put the seat back together again. Next will be the door panels.

Last edited by chaman; 03-30-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts

Interested in seeing how that seat looks once its back together. I know nothing about upholstery work and want to learn. I've always wondered how they fix a seat where the foam is completely gone.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Interested in seeing how that seat looks once its back together. I know nothing about upholstery work and want to learn. I've always wondered how they fix a seat where the foam is completely gone.
I hope it looks good! LOL!! This is like my 3rd upholstery project. Other two were in old cars with with my old man.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything looks good so far, will probably use this thread for tips when I end up doing my seats.

and good luck with the door panels, Im in the process of doing mine now and they are a pain in the *** lol.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Im surprised to find out that Chaman is 40, I always figured he was younger.

Seats look good, amazed to see how thicker the new material is compared to the old.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Very good job man! Now your going to make me want to try it.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Tomorrow will deal with the front seat. If everything goes fairly smooth I will try to tackle the door panels.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

ive always wanted to do the door panels, but im scared ima **** it up somehow.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by J LT1 TA
Everything looks good so far, will probably use this thread for tips when I end up doing my seats.

and good luck with the door panels, Im in the process of doing mine now and they are a pain in the *** lol.
Hope I can be of help!

Today I started to install the upholstery but first....

Sun!! Tropical sun at last! I put the other seats for a little sunbath. Also I put in the sun this little baby...

It was way easier to install it this time but not that much! Still these two have been a real PITA!
Now its time to put the seat upholstery back. As said before the lower part is easier and does not use any zip ties or hog rings. Of course you have to detach it from the adjustment rails. Its important to put the air lines through the hole in the back of the upholstery at this time. If you forget it now, it will be harder to put it in place.
Notice how the repair areas are not visible when the piece is in place. You can not touch it but take my word about how much better these now feel with that little extra foam padding!

Now in this part I will try to cover the issue pertaining the headrest installation. At this time you will need to make holes through the top part of the seat for the the two plastic trims where the headrests post slide in and out. These also help to attach the upholstery firmly in place. They have to pierce completely the material so they can snap into place at the seat frame.

With the two of them in place now pull the cover over the seat and at the same time slide these two sucker into place.

In the end you will have this:

At this moment is were I explained you about substituting the metal clips they have at the end inside the seat with a zip tie. These work like a charm! What you want here is to "close" the part inside the seat so you can have the "stop" action when you raise the headrest. Not doing so the headrest will not stay up. This is the pic of that part again so you can understand better:

Once you tackle the project you will clearly see exactly what Im talking about.

The assembling of the seat goes the same as the passenger seat.

Okay, boys and girls, lets step back and look at the final result:

Next stop...door panels. ****...God help me! LOL!

BTW, just ordered a trophy mat!

Last edited by chaman; 04-01-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Chaman, I have door panels already dismantled and can show you what they look like... also, you need a soldering iron... plasti-weld and a dremel tool with small cutoff wheel.... Thats what I used... if you just cut out the insert without being careful, you wont have enough material on the tabs left to reattach your new inserts...
Old 04-01-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

What is plasti-weld? I have a soldering iron and dremel.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

like jbweld but for plastic... I used it on top of the tabs, it cures and attaches itself to the tabs you have to trim off to get the insert out...

Quick Reply: How to: New upholstery for my car