Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
I wonder how long it will take vfn to tell us
I don't know if they will or not, but geeze....at least give them until a business day. It is Sunday you know...
Old 04-01-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

After seeing those pictures im pretty confident I make a closer fitting hood than that.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Captain Double Post

2quikta your right my bad, im awaiting a big back operation and kinda lost track of what day it was lol, my bad,
Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all you help and support! I am pretty sure they won't do anything as I went through all this with them already via email.. The hood is not under warranty anymore and hasn't been for awhile, I guess they think that people have tens of thousands of dollars and can get a car of this caliber built painted and running in less than 3 months.. I appreciate all the help and support by each and everyone of you, who before today I never knew. Shows that there are real people out there that are willing to stick together with only one thing in common, the love of f-body's!!

Now it's just a waiting game to see what response we as a team/forum brothers and sisters get.. But I need a hood and this thread was started for me to find another company that I can purchase a hood from.. As far as vfn, i love this hood, I love the wsq hood, I would be greatful if they just replace a hood I own that is yet to be modified with the exact hood that I have. Till then I'm not gonna get my hopes up. What other company makes a good quality hood for my car! Joe van o from what I am hearing sold his molds..
Old 04-01-2012, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car looks sick

I don't know of any other companies making a pin-on that extends to the windshield.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
Car looks sick

I don't know of any other companies making a pin-on that extends to the windshield.
Thanks!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by flewbyyou04r1
looking to buy a good quality pin on hood for my race car.. 98-02 ws6.. i have an extended cowl vfn hood and it has got to be the worst fitment hood i have ever seen in my entire life, i contacted vfn and they basically told me to shove it in the nicest and most polite way possible.. (through email) i have pics of the fitment issues, i sent them plenty of pics, put the front end on, take it off side view birds eye view etc etc etc.. ill post pics if possible.. anyways i am just done with this hood and looking for a good quality hood! any suggestions?

One thing not mentioned here is that hood was bought USED from another customer about 4 years ago. You did not purchase this item directly from us.

Keep in mind this is a pin-on and not a bolt on so it does not have an inner structure frame like a bolt on that will help hold its shape. And it was never installed on a car, we don't know how it sat for these past 4 years, or how the prior customer had it stored during the time that he owned the hood.
That being said, our goal is to get that hood working for the customer, and we explained this when he emailed us.

When there are fitment problems, we do need to have a complete picture to help troubleshoot the fitment and get it right.
Because of this, what we ask for is a complete view showing the entire hood so we can have an overall vision and advise the customer accordingly, these are the images we received:

As you can see is that the nose is off the car in this first set of pictures.
It is very difficult to fit the hood correctly - or even troubleshoot the problem - when the nose is off the car.
Explained this to the customer, and recommended he install the nose which would help set the hood in the correct location.

Once the nose was installed, he sent us more pictures of how the hood was not fitting correctly and what we will do for him.
We explained that we would need another visual of the hood as it sits on the car - a birds eye/over all shot - which will give us the best visual.

We got these instead:

As we explained to him, it is very difficult to troubleshoot something without having an overall view of the entire hood - which I explained that we needed in the first email I sent to him.
At this point, the most we can do is tell him to close his headlights?! Very hard to determine what is going on with the hood if you don't have that entire view.

Explaining this to him - again - I get this response:

"I went to the shop to take a picture of the hood he has the front end off it again and got upset when I told him I needed it back on.. I honestly don't think he is gonna do it as he is prepping the car for paint on Saturday.. I don't know what else to do at this present time.. Also if this is a mfg flaw what is it that can be done? No disrespect but if nothing will get done I am not going to waste his time taking the front end on and off numerous times. He will end up charging me and at that point I may as well buy another hood... Thanks again and I apologize if I am coming off rude but I am frustrated with this. "

I explained this:

"I understand.
And I apologize for wanting the other picture.
It's just hard to determine what exactly is going on with the hood without getting that overall visual. Which is why I asked for one initially in the first email I sent ~ Like to get that out of the way up front so we're not going back and forth on this."

We never received any additional photos, and aside from a few other emails, this is where we are at with this.
Can't do anything more until we receive photos, and even then as we explained we can only troubleshoot the item because it is a 2nd hand 4 year old item.

Did notice that you posted in the thread about the Q hood fitment. We emailed back and forth a few times with Trey in regards to his hood, notice how well it fits now at this point? It is because he sent us over the visual we requested and we were able to get him squared away.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:39 PM
FormerVendor

Just wanted to add, that instead of sending the picture over to fix the situation, you spent time going on here and saying how we were doing nothing to help you. Told you to take a walk, in a nice way.

Instead of focusing on what I need to be doing here, I spent most of the morning responding back to your post - between helping customers and other things that needed attention.
It really irritates me because, although I never mind helping a customer when they need something - it's what I am here to do, and do it gladly - I do have a problem having to explain ourselves when we've done nothing but try to help you out.
Thank you for the "nice" feedback you left us.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn....
Old 04-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Captain Double Post

That makes some sence, honest it could have alot with how the hood was cared for previous, if it was under a heat lamp for awhile i can see it getting out of wack, i have a vfn hood on my car and love it, honest op i feel your only option is to make that hood work/ or vfn if he bought another hood from you guys would it be better than what he has, i say buy another one just because there is no other hood options out there, i just like to see everyone come out happy,or somewhat happy that is, there was a time my buddy got a fiberglass hood for his stang, he had it laying on the roof of his car, well he fit it before winter and we think the heat from the lamps above screwed it up, i remind you even the clear coat on his car was damaged, maybe something like this happend
Old 04-02-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew Jeanie wasn't a douche....

Can we get his hood to fit or is it trash? That is the question.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

First thing i would like to mention is that yes it was bought used literally 1 week after the previous owner bought it, i still paid good money just saved on shipping... He dosent live in michigan but his chasis builder's shop is here where i drove an hr to pick it up and seen the reciept..

as far as the hood and how it sat, it was on a shelf, with no lamps or heat near it at a shop, in a heated and cooled enviorment where the complete structure center and all were completley supported, it is not about the hood being disformed its about the gap on one side.. yet when i set a factory hood that was stored standing up on end for years it lines up perfectly. i guess hoods shirnk in time also???

as far as the pictures u posted, i cannot see them on this thread, and i have sent more than 6 pictures to you, not including the pictures of the car painted, nor including the trailblazer ss picture with an aftermarket hood that lines up nearly perfect, just as proof that where my car is at has done many of these so this is not there first rodeo, also i will gladly give any member on here my email address and password for them to see how many shots i have sent over.. headlights opened,closed,nose on (even though its was white and dirty), i am very miticulous with my toys, and take better care of them and there parts than most people do, my wife even thinks i love them more than her! its not like this is a $5000 car i have nearly $65000 wrapped up in this as u see it. and yes as far as i know that was the email sent to u, understand that i run a company, its at a shop that has other customers so when i send pictures and it take 2-3 days to get an answer most likely the car is on to the next phase, i am not blaming you for taking days to answer me as i undersrtand its not only me you are dealing with, and that this is not a personal email, i am stating facts that people move forward on jobs at hand.

This thread wasnt to bash or give u negative feedback as im sure the 5 people it may effect isnt going to bankrupt your buisness, its was to find a different company to purchase a quality hood from, unfortunately with people asking questions this is what it ended up being.. also its not like i dropped the hood, or decided i dont like it and want a different style, and/or i wasnt going to return this hood to you. i would gladly send it back so u as a company could figure out what and why and hopefully fix the problem for other potential customers. i purchased this hood because i liked the look and style and was told vfn had one of the best fit and finishes.. i apoligize for buying it 1 week old to save a few bucks but i thought i was fortunate to have found the hood i wanted brand new untouched for over a hundred dollars less than i was originally gonna purchase it for.

With that being said i appreciate that u took time out of your day to read this thread and respond to it and all my emails which u may or may not have got them all..

Last edited by flewbyyou04r1; 04-02-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:24 PM
FormerVendor

I understand that you're searching out for another place to purchase a hood from. However, to say that we told you to get lost nicely and not help any, that is where I have to step in.
You say that we're not going to loose much business over 5 upset customers...but here's the thing, we take EVERY complaint seriously. Even yours when you contacted us about the hood that you purchased 4 YEARS AGO USED.
Would have been a much better situation if you had test fitted the hood right after you purchased it from the previous customer, we could have probably covered it under warranty for the original customer if it was a problem at that time But its been 4 years.

About the trailblazer picture - I NEVER saw it. Aside from that, the body man's ability to install a hood was never in question. YOUR hood is the one we're looking for pictures of,

Another thing you don't mention is that the body guy was getting upset with you for having to put the nose on and take pictures - and that you weren't going to have him shoot the picture that we requested to begin with!
How is that us not helping you out?!

As I explained to you, we have no idea on how the hood was stored, and yes, the hood will actually "pull in" towards the sides if it is stored on it's side for a period of time.

We've been pretty responsive back to your emails and questions and we can still help you with troubleshooting with that picture we asked you for initially.

Last edited by vfntech; 04-02-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

The car is painted the nose isn't, once it is I'll send u pictures regardless if I got another hood or not.. Car was getting the chassis done when I purchased the hood, and as I stated in an email I was hurt so it was put on hold. Yet the hood went straight to my body guy as I have a relationship with him as he is like family.. I never said he was upset for putting the nose on I said he was getting upset because he had put it on then took it off after I shot pictures, started prepping the car, then I asked him to put it back on which would make all his prep work useless.. U apparently did not get all my emails I'll resend them to u one by one if u would like, as I had the nose on the headlights on. I sent u trailblazer pics that I believe u responded too..

This seems like it turning into an argumentative competition and that is not what I want it to be.. Regardless of the fact I really do not believe the fact that a hood will shrink that much after its been through its heat cycles from your factory, if that was the case these hoods would have to be made for garage queens only as it it subject to all types of different weather conditions.. Especially on a car making 2000 hp with twin turbos underneath that hood would be way hotter than any weather condition it will be in!

Last edited by flewbyyou04r1; 04-03-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flewbyyou04r1
This seems like it turning into an argumentative competition and that is not what I want it to be..
Not to be a douche....but what did you expect with a thread title like that and then sort of bashing a respected sponsor on the board?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:56 AM
Captain Double Post

Op i hate to see something not work out for ya, i understand where you area coming from, if i can help anymore let me know
Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
Not to be a douche....but what did you expect with a thread title like that and then sort of bashing a respected sponsor on the board?
well sponsor or not, i am not happy with the quality and fitment of my hood/product.. i am a customer weather or not it was bought 1 week old or not, its still a vfn hood that may be going on my car so there name is on it.. if i was indeed happy with the quality this thread would not exsist and i would give them the credit that is due..
Old 04-03-2012, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't feel bad

When I received mine from them it was sat on the car within the hour and that is how it fit
Old 04-03-2012, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
Don't feel bad

When I received mine from them it was sat on the car within the hour and that is how it fit
How did you get it to fit? Did you buy it directly from vfn? I wonder if it could of been a bad batch?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:55 AM
FormerVendor

There are no bad batches because we do not do mass production.
One of the reasons we build our hoods as ordered, so that we can keep an eye on what is going out of our shop.

Z28/2008 - not sure what your situation is, but can always pm me if you'd like to go over the fitment. Will have you send an overall birdseye view of the hood and I'll need your order info so that I can pull it as well ~

Flyby - it's one thing to say you're unhappy with your product and try to look for a resolution and another thing to call us out and talk smack. Sponsor or Not - you would not appreciate it if someone started a thread bashing you AND posting on several threads as well.
Customer or not, it sure doesn't want us to help you out any further.

I received your emails - all of them - and have them saved as well. Anything you sent me I have - we have gmail, which allows for minimum spam control so I don't see a problem there.

What you keep failing to mention is this - and I quote in your own words:

"i purchased a hood (never mounted or used by him)approx 4 years ago off a gentelman (james kersay) to use on my 1998 firebird, it was a 5.5 extended pin on"

NOT A WEEK AFTER IT WAS PURCHASED DIRECTLY FROM US.

Again, as I had mentioned, IF you did purchase it at that point, and wanted to keep the warranty, it should have been test fitted and we could have better helped you with the hood.
At this point, it's a little hard to help a "customer" who has had something for several years with a product - who won't even send the original picture that we requested UP FRONT. Only wants to question if we're going to do something about the warranty, then complain when we don't.

Purchase from another company and see if they even respond back to you after several years of having a product - I'm sure they will, to help walk you through a purchase of a new hood.

You keep questioning our reasoning behind the storage issue and how a hood would change shape. We have been doing this for over 40 years. I think what you don't realize is that not only do we make our parts here, but we also install them. Because of this we are extremely familiar with how our parts fit.
Have run into other situations where a hood was improperly stored - even here at the shop before we realized that hey! storing a hood with a large scoop on it's side (during it's curing time) will cause the hood to start sinking down into the scoop after a while.

And even then, the hood is completely fixable - which we could walk you through.

Kind of get the feeling we're just beating a dead horse here anyways. You're not going to send the picture and keep posting on how unhappy you were about your experience.
Me personally, if I had purchased something years ago - used or not - and you had a company willing to work with you on how to correct your problem, I'd be really happy. It's not often you see that out here - most wish to line their own pockets - easier to have a customer make another purchase then to go back and forth with an issue.

And on the body guy, being upset - I believe this is what was said:
"I went to the shop to take a picture of the hood he has the front end off it again and got upset when I told him I needed it back on."

With this being said, PLEASE stop saying you didn't say things. Just be honest. You were pretty polite in the emails we sent back and forth, never bashed you on that. Actually, I expected to see a picture within a week or two so that we can get to the bottom of this and move on. Instead, I get a keyboard warrior.

You can go on with this...but I am done. If you wish to send me that picture we requested - then please, by all means do. As I mentioned in the emails, I cannot tell you if it's a warranty issue or troubleshooting at this point - hands are tied - until I see it.

But can no longer go back and forth on a dead subject.

Thanks.

~ On another note ~ Thanks guys
Funny thing about the line of not being a douche - haven't heard that in YEARS!! Then over the weekend while out with some buddies, one who wanted to bring a huge bottle of jamison into the cab with us. One of us asked if the cabbie minded, who responded "I'm not a douche!" unexpected, funny and I think that line is making a comeback!! ~

Jeanie

Quick Reply: adjustments