Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Side molding removed

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 06:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on doing this in 2 wks when I get my good wax but what do I need to do this besides goo gone? I have clay bars and a ton of detailing supplies so what else is needed and what's the steps from start to finish ? Thanks
Old 04-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

Looks way better. I just did it to my white SS.

Wheels go a long way so save up. lol. These are what I went with. $190.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-Rim-Fits-...item5ae4ec5225

Paint the sail panel gloss black and that car will really pop.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by camaroboy14
I am planning on doing this in 2 wks when I get my good wax but what do I need to do this besides goo gone? I have clay bars and a ton of detailing supplies so what else is needed and what's the steps from start to finish ? Thanks
I'm in the middle of it on my firebird (got the moldings off still dealing with the tape). depending on what you feel like really most people use fishing line to get behind the molding to "cut" the tape, some say use a blow dryer because it will soften the adhesive, personally I used a coated wire similar to HIGH strength fishing line for the first 6 inches or so on the doors then grabbed it a slowly peeled it off being careful not to kink the molding.

removing the molding (all 6 pieces) is less then a 10 minute job, cleaning up the tape and adhesive residue left by it is the hard part, I used a pressure washer to blast away most of the tape and will be hitting the rest of if with some Goof Off in the morning and we'll see how that goes.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

I've done this on other cars in the past and the easiest thing I've found to do is take 3m adhesive remover and pour it along the top of the moulding and let it sit for 20 min. then pour some more along the top and let it sit for another 20min. Then come back and grab ahold of it, and it just falls off, very little effort and most of the adhesive is gone also. Take a rag with adhesive remover on it and wipe off what little bits left and wax it, done!

Quick Reply: Side molding removed