Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Thoughts on my diamond plate center console?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteStallion00
You'll note there are no cup holders, though Haven't quite figured that problem out yet.
I modified an IROC Camaro console to go in my El Camino. They don't have cup holders either, so I went and got some cheap black plastic ones from a boating store. Like the kind that slip in to a hole on a boat They work great and since my interior is black they don't look too out of place, plus the console is black plastic and vinyl. I'm sure in your case you could paint them or something or maybe the black would look fine. The best part was I think I spent $3.
Jessica
Old 04-16-2012, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm I kinda like it. Props on the craftsmanship and being different. Now work some kind of cup holders in there and you're golden! Lol
Old 04-16-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to have my floor board in DP. Nice work BTW!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:07 AM
Launching!

Thanx. I realize it's not for everyone, but neither is my art; the world would be a bit drab if we all had the same attractions.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:31 AM
Launching!

78_elky: I found some nice looking fake-billet looking cup holders at the shop near the docks where my parents kept the sailboat. I thought they'd be perfect, but the gotcha in all this is that the console is low. You'll note that it's all at the same level as the gear shift; too low to use for an arm rest (back to CO99z28Vert's comment at the beginning about it being hot) and too low to mount anything on the side or through the top of.

Since these pics were taken I mounted a small AC inverter and a 4 outlet accessory pack (cig lighters also went away with the original console) to the top, replaced the blue lights with some black lights (I'm a blacklight artist) and am in the process of adding some blacklight reactive highlights (like the radio trim shown here). I also re-trimmed the entire interior in black vinyl (not a job I'd recommend doing yourself, I sure won't again). A trip to the junkyard to find some black seats is next. Maybe I'll grab the entire interior because my heavy duty 3m adhesive doesn't stand up to direct sunlight very well and the vinyl is starting to peel off .

Old 04-18-2012, 05:35 AM
Launching!

looks very big, tacky and out of place considering its in a camaro. but that's just my opinion... if it was in something like a custom semi truck, pickup truck or mini-truck with a theme/functionality, it might be my cup of tea.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:37 AM
Launching!

Its a TA, but I get what you're saying. by the time I'm completely done with all I want to do it will look pretty custom. If i could just find that damn winning lottery ticket....
Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sorry if I missed it, but what's the point of doing this?

It looks way out of place.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteStallion00
Before I built it, I used the diamond plate for some of my artwork, so I got my money's worth out of it

Just when i stopped having nightmares i see this thanks guy j/k but that is kinda creepy
Old 04-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

I can appreciate the fact you are being unique, but everything about this interior clashes like crazy, especially the last pic with the neon green trim. That being said, it is your car, and your canvas, and i can respect that you are gonna do what you wanna do to it no matter what people think, and so i say KEEP GOING!

BTW, please tell me that is a painting on the diamond plate, and not an actual photo of a man with a blue wig on... :o
Old 04-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Launching!

The interior is a work in progress. The green trim is actually black light reactive, there will be a few pieces here and there that will react to black light when I'm done. There are black lights mounted at various locations inside the cockpit. It will all come together once it's complete; things that don't react won't be visible and everything that does will seem to be suspended. I'm a black light artist.

The above piece is actually a black light photograph of one of my models. Unfortunately it does lose its effect up close (and the aspect ratio seems to have gotten tweaked, too). I have a version of it where the reflection actually looks like Christopher Walken; the model wasn't too happy about that Believe it or not this is the same girl:

Old 04-20-2012, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummm nope...looks like you do nice art work.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love blacklight ****!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That console would have looked cool in my truck, super tacky in an f body. But as stated its your car, go nuts!
Old 04-22-2012, 03:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2QuikTA
Somebody...somewhere....wants their toolbox back
lmao

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my diamond plate center console?