Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Liquid UV protectants for clear headlight lenses?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Liquid UV protectants for clear headlight lenses?

I replaced my yellowed headlights on a 99 Camaro a few weeks ago and I would like to avoid having to do this again on this car and also on my wifes 08 Honda.

I bought some liquid stuff that claims to protect headlight lens from UV light and yellowing? It went on like an oily goo.

Does this stuff work?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it would help if you listed the name brand of the product.

Meguiar's recently released a specific product that will help with U/V protection. Do a google search.

I always wash and at least wax the lenses to put some level of protection in place. As for your yellowed lenses if you still have them, they can be restored. Meg's as well as many companies now offer a "restoration" kit which basically takes some layers of the damaged lense off and leave clean and clear lense in place. I have a rotary buffer and that works too but if you dont have the tools a basic electric drill with ther supplied attatchment works too.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Headl.../dp/B006MXD650

Old 04-18-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Veteran

I tried several of the specific lens restore products before I replace the old headlights including the ones with fine sandpaper.......... nothing worked.... they were 14 years old and were in very bad shape...

it is in a small clear bottle with a spray top.... can't find it now.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
I tried several of the specific lens restore products before I replace the old headlights including the ones with fine sandpaper.......... nothing worked.... they were 14 years old and were in very bad shape...

it is in a small clear bottle with a spray top.... can't find it now.
You have to do more than just use the product. Typically for severe casses you have to wetsand the lens and step up the grit to about 1500. Then use rubbing compound then polishing and then finish with a glaze to get them clear. Then a coat of clear coat to keep them clear for years to come.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, there are many topics on this out there on the internet. I prefer the wetsand / wool pad route, I love PlaticX from Meg's works killer.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Veteran

...I tried the abarsive treatments more than once; they made it worse.

Anyway, how often do you use the protecterant liquid? Do you have to apply this stuff every time you wash the car? The stuff I bought seems like the liquid just lays on the surface and must wash off when it gets wet.

Quick Reply: Liquid UV protectants for clear headlight lenses?