Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Detailing: JL WS6 2009 Dodge 2500

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arrow Detailing: JL WS6 2009 Dodge 2500

Well finally got some time to work ok JL's Truck (Drag Race Forum Moderator). Been asking me for a while so no time like the present.

Let it be said that this truck is very well taken care of for the 50k+ miles on it and JL washes it with leaving minimal marring and swirling but alas it still has them. The car has Dodge's Brilliant Black exterior paint and it looks amazing. Thinking of it like looking into space and seeming a million stars.

I don't have a honest side by side correction comparision. So I got started and simply slipped our minds. With the flake its hard to pick it up but it had swirls so we got them out easily.

We did not want to put the rotary to it but JL Picked up a Porter Cable Xp with the extra length cable which is helpful as hell.

** All pics with tape are taken with my Droid, the afters were with my Nikon so sorry for any not good pics. No sun pics due to weather issues this past sunday.

Process:

Wash- Meguiars Gold Class
Clay- Mother's
Tape- 3M Blue
Compound- Meg's 105 on LC Orange Pad
Polish- Meg's 205 on LC White Pad
Glaze- Meg's Showcar #7
Wax- Meg's Ultimate Paste (2 coats
Booster- Meg's Ultimate Quick Wax (after cure)

I will be expanding out my product selections but this is what I know and I know works. But there is other great stuff out there. No matter what I will be using LC pads, love that stuff!

Using light, consistant pressure, alternating strokes, low setting like between 1 and 2. Not sure the rpm ratio, I will have to research that more. Also plan on getting a PC for myself as I love the rotary and def has it's place with heavy correction and scratch removal. Also considering wetsanding whatever else needed but I want to jewel to a fine finish.

Before: The only good one that showed swirling.

Taped:

Results:

Like I said, not perfect but very pleased with the results. Love the reflections. Took a few man hours bout 1 hr for tape, and 1-1/2 hr for washing/claying, 10 hours total (cutting/polish/glaze/wax). JL did a few sections and look to be doing more projects together.

PM if you have questions. Located in Central Connecticut.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks really good A buddy and I did this to my car last summer. Took us about a total of 6-8hrs between the two of us working together. I love how the reflections look when you are done.

Here's a couple of mine.

Taping is actually pretty interesting since the car looks quite funny once you tape it all off.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:47 AM
Internet Mechanic

Thanks man, appreciate your pics, those shots look killer and love the first one!

Yes taping the car looks goofy but IMO its a needed step. You can correct and not mess up any of the trim or spend the same amount of time tying to correct mistakes. I do not have any smaller backing plates so with working with 6.5" Pads is the smalles and stuff like the A-piller could have been a disaster.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know exactly what you mean. I love the look of reflection shots in paint. Makes you know you did a good job. Thanks I didn't have to tape off around my headlights or taillights though so that was nice. I clearcoated my headlights after I restored them to keep them nice and clear and I tinted my taillights so it was nice to be able to get them even more shiny
Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good
Old 04-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Internet Mechanic

Thank you much. I have a Halogen light stand and I have to take some better shots w/o ambient light. Also a good correction shot is important. If I can get some NON metallic cars as it is easier to see the damage with my light gun.

I think I went too low a speed on the DA, someone passed along a RPM comparision which was very helpful.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Buffer-Comparison/

Still used to my Rotary which some of that info I need to toss out the window.

Quick Reply: Detailing: JL WS6 2009 Dodge 2500