Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Detail Freaks Step Inside Please

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detail Freaks Step Inside Please

My PC7424 is a bit old, but it works well.. I do however need new pads. Adams seems to have a nice pad and backing system that I think I wanna dry.

Do they cut well? Anyone used them?

I have the old lake country pads.. Yellow,Orange and Blue, I also have two of the newer black pads for finishing. I want to buy some new pads and some good cutting compound. I've heard great things about the Megs 105 and 205 polishes? I have some Merenza SIP, but its a pita to get off. My 07 TL was buffed wrong at some point in time and has a lot of micro-marring and buffer trails all over it. Plus it's black, so I really need to work on it to get it up to snuff.

So I'm looking for recommendations; I don't have a ton of money to spend, but I don't care to buy some pieces at a time until I get my stock pile worked back up with new product.

I'm not too worried about car soap, unless someone can tell me a good reason as to why I should go with something high dollar? I have a ton of basic meguiars wash soap that I can use. I have a bunch microfiber wash mits as well.

Looking at new waxes and such as well; Whats the difference between this product.

http://www.autogeek.net/dark-soft-carnauba-wax.html

and this one?

http://www.autogeek.net/dodo-purple-haze-pro-wax.html

Is that a solid wax or am I in the wrong place?

For interior I think I'll go with Adams interior products.. Do you guys prefer to use a Leather Cleaner and Conditioner or do you prefer each to be separate products and not a two in one? After cleaning the interior I know it will smell nice with the leather and interior cleaners and trim protected, but has anyone used the chemical guys stripper scent stuff? I hear it smells really good and a lot of people recommend it. Anyone familiar with it? Or what do you use if anything?

http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guy...freshener.html

Anything else? Anyone have any recommendations?

I use stoners for windows and I'm content with how they turn out each time.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the pads, Lake country flat orange, white, and black are the main pads that will work for you. SIP shouldn't be hard to remove....how long are you working it? 105/205 are both very good.

Not sure what the difference is between the two waxes. Dodo Juice is good stuff, but those are both soft waxes and the durability on them will be short.

For the leather, I recommend the Zaino leather cleaner (Z9) and conditioner (Z10). However it is important to note that the factory leather in your car is a coated leather and conditioners can not penetrate the surface. So there is no real point in conditioning them....it will just sit on the surface.

Get yourself 2 buckets and grit guards too if you don't have them already.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
For the pads, Lake country flat orange, white, and black are the main pads that will work for you. SIP shouldn't be hard to remove....how long are you working it? 105/205 are both very good.

Not sure what the difference is between the two waxes. Dodo Juice is good stuff, but those are both soft waxes and the durability on them will be short.

For the leather, I recommend the Zaino leather cleaner (Z9) and conditioner (Z10). However it is important to note that the factory leather in your car is a coated leather and conditioners can not penetrate the surface. So there is no real point in conditioning them....it will just sit on the surface.

Get yourself 2 buckets and grit guards too if you don't have them already.
Thanks! I was hoping you would reply! I tend to lurk your threads a lot :p

On my firebird I would work it for quite a while, I just remember it being kind of greasy and I would either have to wash again to help remove before laying down a swirl cutter or I would wipe with the rubbing alcohol.

What steps would you recommend ? 105 on Orange, followed by 205 on the white? and then what would you use on the black? I need a few new orange pads and I could use some white.. my black pads are basically brand new.

What wax would you use? I had heard / read great things about the dojo so I figured if I pick up some I will use it on a rare occasion, but if you know something that will work well and last me a bit longer Id gladly step up for better coverage since this is my DD and it lives outside.

So there's no wonder my *** is sliding all over my seats then after I clean/condition them? So would you suggest just using a cleaner then instead of the conditioner? I just want to help give it as long of a life as possible. I use stoners on the glass, seems to work well enough, but what would you consider good for the plastics/dash and such? I've always just used some basic Megs cleaner on it.

Thanks for the help/advice man I really appreciate it!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Exactly what GoFast said! I love Menzerna products. I never have a problem with SIP, sounds like you're using too much product. 2 bean sized dots is all you need on a 5" pad to work a 2' x 2' area. Meguire's stuff tends to dust, but the D300 is okay about that. Menzerna's stuff will stay oily.

105 and a orange or white is a good start. I might also recommend you the Meguire's 5" cutting microfiber pads and their D300 MF compound. That works amazing on just about everything. That compound also works well on foam pads. 105 is stronger than D300 BTW. Depending on how hard your paint is, you'll have to use of either the white or black pad and 205 if you go that route. I don't use 205 though. I have Menzerna's Power Finish for harder paints, Final Finish, and their Micro polish for really soft paint.

I have the CG stripper scent. I LOVE it! I has a coconut purfume smell. It is not over powering and fades quickly.

While your at the Zaino store, get some Z5. It's a sealant made for dark colors. I don't care for waxes. That 1 bottle will give you a good 15+ full car applications. Use your PC on speed 3 with a red pad and 4 dots of product per panel approximately. I'd do at least 2 layers on personal vehicles. Z2 and Z5 are my sweeties as far as sealants go. My all out best LSP is Carpro's CQuartz ceramic coating and their Reload sealant over the top.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
Exactly what GoFast said! I love Menzerna products. I never have a problem with SIP, sounds like you're using too much product. 2 bean sized dots is all you need on a 5" pad to work a 2' x 2' area. Meguire's stuff tends to dust, but the D300 is okay about that. Menzerna's stuff will stay oily.

105 and a orange or white is a good start. I might also recommend you the Meguire's 5" cutting microfiber pads and their D300 MF compound. That works amazing on just about everything. That compound also works well on foam pads. 105 is stronger than D300 BTW. Depending on how hard your paint is, you'll have to use of either the white or black pad and 205 if you go that route. I don't use 205 though. I have Menzerna's Power Finish for harder paints, Final Finish, and their Micro polish for really soft paint.

I have the CG stripper scent. I LOVE it! I has a coconut purfume smell. It is not over powering and fades quickly.

While your at the Zaino store, get some Z5. It's a sealant made for dark colors. I don't care for waxes. That 1 bottle will give you a good 15+ full car applications. Use your PC on speed 3 with a red pad and 4 dots of product per panel approximately. I'd do at least 2 layers on personal vehicles. Z2 and Z5 are my sweeties as far as sealants go. My all out best LSP is Carpro's CQuartz ceramic coating and their Reload sealant over the top.

Almost like you know what you're talking about...

Very well said. Solid advice. I'd throw Menzerna 85RD in there on the black pad. Micro Polish and Final Finish are excellent on that as well.

Zaino has great durability and isn't as hard to use as many think it is. Blackfire Wet Diamond is a great sealant that looks amazing, 3+ months durability and goes on/off easier than anything else I've used.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Almost like you know what you're talking about...

Very well said. Solid advice. I'd throw Menzerna 85RD in there on the black pad. Micro Polish and Final Finish are excellent on that as well.

Zaino has great durability and isn't as hard to use as many think it is. Blackfire Wet Diamond is a great sealant that looks amazing, 3+ months durability and goes on/off easier than anything else I've used.
Thanks! What's this "almost" though? I've been around the block a few times. I know plenty enough. I'm sure you know more and I know you've done more cars, but I handle my own. I think I've always agreed with what you have said. About that 105, here's my take on it. It definitely has it's place, but I don't have to use very often. I don't care for it dusting, but will put up with it if it gets the job done. Most amateurs that use it will probably have great results because it works quick and they won't really know any better about the dusting. It's tried and true stuff. As far a products in general go, I prefer to stick with products I've found and liked. It's cheaper that way! I keep what I think is best and stick with them because they are easy to use and proven. I have heard great things about BFWD, but I won't get it because I already have my perfect sealants. Not saying you're wrong by any means, just merely my opinions on stuff.

I'm tempted to try the “Wet Fire over Ice” combo though. The two products are Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant and Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnuba wax. It will look especially stunning on dark colors and you get the longevity of the sealant and get the benefits of wax.

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 05-09-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Oh I wasn't taking a shot at you man! It was solid advice and you were on point. I was just trying to be funny.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

Ah, I see. I usually read your posts as serious. Great news!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Gofast, what do you think of collinite 845 as a wax? I've heard nothing but good things about it, and at $15 bucks a bottle it seems like a steal. After I pc my car I was going to seal it with bfwd, then top it with 845.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Okay, before I order.

In the past I have used the Showroom FX / Tropicare "Crystal Black"

I just want to be protected and have the car look great and last. It's my understanding that a glaze will not last at all and that the sealant will last the longest and can be put on first and you can apply a wax on top of the sealant?

Whats the scoop.. Would it be easier to just use the Z5 and keep things simple?

I just want one solid product that will go on and last while looking great and giving me protection!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Glazes don't last. They are just temporary protection, but they also help in hiding scratches. Coating like CQuartz will last the longest by far, but keep it simple. If I were you, go with sealant for sure.

As Zaino says about their Z5, you can also buy Z2 and layer that afterwards to add even more gloss and protection. That's the EXACT setup I had on my TA. 2 layers of each. Can you say gloss boss? Don't worry about that ZFX activator stuff. It's plenty warm enough outside. Once you can cleanly buff off the product without it smearing, its ready to come off. Normally I can machine apply it to the car like I said and start taking it off in the first spot started at. I personally waited 24hrs after the Z5 to apply Z2. That Z8 spray is a very nice booster of protection every so often too. Like say after every wash. 1 spray will do an entire door, 2-3 for the hood. That bottle goes a long ways too FYI.

Now if you want a sealant and a wax. I recommend you do the wet fire over ice combo. Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant and Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnuba wax. Sealant first, then wax.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Screamin_99
My PC7424 is a bit old, but it works well.. I do however need new pads. Adams seems to have a nice pad and backing system that I think I wanna dry.

Do they cut well? Anyone used them?

I have the old lake country pads.. Yellow,Orange and Blue, I also have two of the newer black pads for finishing. I want to buy some new pads and some good cutting compound. I've heard great things about the Megs 105 and 205 polishes? I have some Merenza SIP, but its a pita to get off. My 07 TL was buffed wrong at some point in time and has a lot of micro-marring and buffer trails all over it. Plus it's black, so I really need to work on it to get it up to snuff.

So I'm looking for recommendations; I don't have a ton of money to spend, but I don't care to buy some pieces at a time until I get my stock pile worked back up with new product.

I'm not too worried about car soap, unless someone can tell me a good reason as to why I should go with something high dollar? I have a ton of basic meguiars wash soap that I can use. I have a bunch microfiber wash mits as well.

Looking at new waxes and such as well; Whats the difference between this product.

http://www.autogeek.net/dark-soft-carnauba-wax.html

and this one?

http://www.autogeek.net/dodo-purple-haze-pro-wax.html

Is that a solid wax or am I in the wrong place?

For interior I think I'll go with Adams interior products.. Do you guys prefer to use a Leather Cleaner and Conditioner or do you prefer each to be separate products and not a two in one? After cleaning the interior I know it will smell nice with the leather and interior cleaners and trim protected, but has anyone
used the chemical guys stripper scent stuff? I hear it smells really good and a lot of people recommend it. Anyone familiar with it? Or what do you use if anything?

http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guy...freshener.html

Anything else? Anyone have any recommendations?

I use stoners for windows and I'm content with how they turn out each time.

Lake Green with a new bottle of SIP finish it with an orange and 106fa

Use black fire wet diamond to seal it and poor boys red to wax .. Ur car will POP ! Leather buy http://www.autogeek.net/lereoil.html
With the cleaner by the same co. The best combo

Quick Reply: Detail Freaks Step Inside Please