Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

some plasti-dip

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll be spraying my cobalt SS's rims this winter just to keep the salt off them since it's my daily driver. it holds up amazingly well on wheels.. never tried during winter though.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

It'll hold up in the Winter, we had alot of snow and rain this passed winter and my wheels held up to it.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

more pics of the fog light thing?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

Should have got the side markers while you were there imo lol. I used plasti-dip to smoke my tailights and color the "Camaro" letters black. THAT was a PITA.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i actually like it
Old 09-20-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Robbie Wilson
Should have got the side markers while you were there imo lol. I used plasti-dip to smoke my tailights and color the "Camaro" letters black. THAT was a PITA.
how well would light go through the lights?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrob56
more pics of the fog light thing?
I made my attempt at it. Forgot to post pics back on here again. Lol I couldn't fill it in quite as well as the OP, but here's what I ended up with. I have whistler lights, like someone asked for earlier in this thread. I also went ahead and removed my plastic grill and plasti-dipped the panel, using tape to cover the letters so they stayed SOM. Did it back in May and it's just now starting to peel and flake off, so I'm going to redo it this winter.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Default Plasti Dip

Well, today I gave the Plasti Dip a try.... It was EASY, FAST, and gave me the "plastic" look I was looking for for the CETA mod. A real CETA is not painted black, its actually a non painted lower rear bumper, leaving it as bare plastic. I took some pics of the process. I tried to paint the Pontiac logo on the back, but it didnt work out. Did think it would, but wanted to try. Everything else worked out awesome. I used a tooth pic to get between the letters and inside the "A" in Trans Am

Last edited by zerogravity779; 09-23-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Hey ZeroGravity, how did you get such good lines when doing your CETA mod? I tried to do some Corvette fender stripes on my WS6 and when i went to tear the tape up, no matter how slowly i went, it took some of the plasti-dip with it giving me jagged edges. Whats your secret? lol
Old 09-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

I may try plasti-dipping my drag wheels .. Hmm
Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by StealthWeaponLS1
Hey ZeroGravity, how did you get such good lines when doing your CETA mod? I tried to do some Corvette fender stripes on my WS6 and when i went to tear the tape up, no matter how slowly i went, it took some of the plasti-dip with it giving me jagged edges. Whats your secret? lol
Too easy my friend... First: after the last coat....and I mean the second your done, start to pull off the tape. When I pulled off my tape I pulled it 90* (degrees) straight back, Like torwards me as I am looking at it. I did pull slowly.
Second: I had two jagged areas on mine. Both at the top corners where it curves down to the ground. I was a little ticked for a second or two... but I just put some tape back on, and shot it again, one good "heavy-ish" coat and right away pulled the tape off. Worked like a charm!!

Another thing that MIGHT help... I went with four coats, how ever many you do, is up to you. BUT what if you went with layers of tape?? And after each coat pulled off the layer to help keep it from building up? Make sense? Your prep work would be a little more intense, BUT just might be worth it. Just something I thought of while responding, I have not yet tried it. So I dont know if it would work or not. Sounds like it might. You would have to be careful not to pull off your other layers as you go along.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Ok, yeah that made sense. I think maybe ill spray it and then pull the tape off as soon as i shoot the Plasti-Dip. Thats sounds like a safer idea then the pulling the layers of tapes off. Thanks a lot bud! The Ceta Mod came out perfect! Thats one reason why i hate having a black T/A.....the CEAT Mod wouldnt look thats great on my car...would blend in too much if you ask me.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by StealthWeaponLS1
Thats one reason why i hate having a black T/A.....the CEAT Mod wouldnt look thats great on my car...would blend in too much if you ask me.
Flat black and Gun Metal look pretty bad a$$ on a black TA. Plasti Dip black is pretty flat/ plastic looking. it would look pretty sweet.
Gun Metal.....

Flat Black

Dark Gray.... BUT looks like Plasti Dip to me.... I think its worth a shot....
Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Launching!

You know after looking at that black T/A you posted....i actually might do the CETA Mod to my car. Since i think about it, your right. The Plasti-Dip has that plastic type of texture when it dries and it does have a hint of grey in it actually (maybe its just me, i am slightly color blind.). Besides, i dont think i can actually bring myself to use actual paint, thats why i like Plasti-Dip, if i grow out of the CETA Mod, ill just peel it off.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02'Andy
I made my attempt at it. Forgot to post pics back on here again. Lol I couldn't fill it in quite as well as the OP, but here's what I ended up with. I have whistler lights, like someone asked for earlier in this thread. I also went ahead and removed my plastic grill and plasti-dipped the panel, using tape to cover the letters so they stayed SOM. Did it back in May and it's just now starting to peel and flake off, so I'm going to redo it this winter.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...44170365_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...00575617_n.jpg
This looks pretty damn good, Ive got the whistlers as well as a bowtie grille, might have to give it a try.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Exactly.... I dont know if I want to put paint on the car. I was thinking of checking in to a vinyl over lay. And if I get boared with it, or sell it, I can just pull it off. Glad I checked out this stuff. Never realy heard of it until this week. Watched a few youtube videos on it. Learned a few tricks on there too, you might want to check them out. If it peals and gets jagged edges, let it dry for a few minutes, tape the area again, and spray a heavyish coat. Watch out for runs if you do. Worked great for me. This stuff blends out with each coat. Post some pics if you do yours. And dont forget to PM or email me if you do.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Restricted User

Not feeling the fogs
Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i do like this!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:24 AM
11 Second Club

I actually got my ideas from the OP and that pic ^

Since this thread popped back up, I'll add my update. I just peeled mine off and re-did it for this season. Filled out the rest of the fogs, attempted to work with leaving the letters SOM again, and decided to try around the headlights as well. Doing the letters is a pain in the butt, and I'll probably have to do them again soon.

Last edited by 02'Andy; 03-26-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

the headlights and fogs look amazing!! how hard was it taping off the area for the fogs?

Quick Reply: some plasti-dip