Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
View Poll Results: Would you buy the clear honeycomb taillights?
Yes
81.60%
No
18.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Clear Honeycomb Taillights for Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

highly doubt this will ever happen at this point. As stated above the cost to make these would be phenomenal and not to many companies are going to do that for a low return item. You figure they might sell 1 set for ever 5000 firebirds out there if there lucky. Doesn't make good business sense. The best bet id have to say would be depo but i dont even see them taking the risk.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:53 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

About the only real way of this happening is if one of the companies that makes all of the riced out camaro tail-lights decided to do a set for the firebirds and sold them on eBay.

I hate to say it, but short of that happening, I don't see a small company like 6LE being able to have the capital to undertake a project like this.

I'm just surprised it hasn't happened yet. Look at how quickly the smoked 3rd lights sold out on eBay. There's obviously a strong market out there for firebird mods since all of the 4th gen rears are interchangable.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I knew how I would attempt it in a heart beat!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just surprised it hasn't happened yet. Look at how quickly the smoked 3rd lights sold out on eBay. There's obviously a strong market out there for firebird mods since all of the 4th gen rears are interchangable.
If those pop back up, I'm buying two more.

When I bought the one I have now, I should have bought two extras. I now have two Trans Ams and I want an extra just in case. Pretty upset with myself.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:27 AM
TECH Resident

yea anyway, what the hell ever happend to those, i went to buy one the other day and all i can find is the low rise spoiler ones... weak
Old 03-11-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I'm not sure why some sponsor hasn't stepped up and at least mentioned something about it. Disappointing IMO.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would definately buy a pair.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good but I dont think theres enough of a demand to produce. Would be nice to see these made tho. It crazy all the crapppy taillights that are out there.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by newman2ng
looks good but I dont think theres enough of a demand to produce. Would be nice to see these made tho. It crazy all the crapppy taillights that are out there.
Yeah, nobody wants them at all.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd buy a set in a hearbeat! Throw some SuperBrightLEDs in them and be happy as hell!

Last edited by KissMyTushZ28; 04-08-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:41 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Obviously there's a demand out there, look how quickly the smoked 3rd brake light sold out. Fact is, the 93-02 all have the same general tail lights, so that's a huge market, especially considering the extent of them that need to be replaced due to condensation or fading over time.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:19 AM
TECH Resident

id be happy with cheaper stock replacements lol
Old 04-08-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I plan to keep reviving this until it happens. Haha!

Does anyone have even an idea how to attempt this? Would you have to have the clear cover made and then replace it with the factory lens? If so then you could just put tape where needed and the plasti-dip the honeycomb design! Come on guys!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

not gonna happen lol... good try though
Old 04-08-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Why not dude? How do you know that this definitely and for sure will not happen?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've seen way less cool things than this made for these cars!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Resident

yea but the people who would make them have already said they wont step up to the plate because of the heavy R&D and build cost that it would require. Even if they did theyed have to sell them at an outrageous cost to make a profit, and its unlikely they'll sell that many. Im not saying it could never happen... but its pretty unlikely. Hypothetically: If you were in a buisness position where you had the resources but found out its going to cost you well over 2000 dollars to create the nessecary tooling and equiptment to make these taillights (im low balling, its probably more) and you knew that if you made them available you were likely only to sell maybe 1 for every 1500 firebirds in existance (again a low ball estimate because likely many people wont want these)... you figure you may be lucky to sell 10-15 sets in a year... lets go with 10 for arguments sake. You would have to price them at 200 dollars a set just to break even assuming these hypothetical costs to build are true... so now youve spent time and money to just break even? most buisnesses wont do that. So tack on another 300-400 bucks depending on how big or small the company is... even less people are going to want to drop that kind of coin on a taillight.

Its easy to say you would pay that money for that kind of part but at the end of the day not many people will and thats why places like 6le and others have to be very selective and careful about what they produce. Youll bankrupt your self real quick if you rely on peoples good word to buy a product.

Just some food for thought, again, im not saying eventually someone wont step up the plate, but its highly unlikely. Technically if you look i'd be willing to bet GM is no longer producing factory replacement tails either. Not to say you cant buy new stock but they probably arent in production.

That being said that could be your saving grace... if the market bleeds up on factory replacements a company like DEPO may see a need to reproduce the part... then its likely they'll make a variation of it. But id say thats another couple years off.

Hard to say for sure but if I had to make my guess chances are slim.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DefinitEly guys from Russia will get 5 or more sets of those tail lights i'm gonna be the first one of them as soon as possible!
Old 04-08-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

The issue being is that there are NO OTHER TAILS FOR THE TRANS AM. There IS a market for it - whether they are reproduction stock appearing tails or those same tails with a clear plastic. Wish someone who has the manufacturing capabilities, it wouldn't be that hard one would think. There is more to it, but in my mind you make the molds, put your stuff in, etc...I don't see how that would involve a lot of work than making a Camaro headlight from a manufacturer.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maxplusten
yea but the people who would make them have already said they wont step up to the plate because of the heavy R&D and build cost that it would require. Even if they did theyed have to sell them at an outrageous cost to make a profit, and its unlikely they'll sell that many. Im not saying it could never happen... but its pretty unlikely. Hypothetically: If you were in a buisness position where you had the resources but found out its going to cost you well over 2000 dollars to create the nessecary tooling and equiptment to make these taillights (im low balling, its probably more) and you knew that if you made them available you were likely only to sell maybe 1 for every 1500 firebirds in existance (again a low ball estimate because likely many people wont want these)... you figure you may be lucky to sell 10-15 sets in a year... lets go with 10 for arguments sake. You would have to price them at 200 dollars a set just to break even assuming these hypothetical costs to build are true... so now youve spent time and money to just break even? most buisnesses wont do that. So tack on another 300-400 bucks depending on how big or small the company is... even less people are going to want to drop that kind of coin on a taillight.

Its easy to say you would pay that money for that kind of part but at the end of the day not many people will and thats why places like 6le and others have to be very selective and careful about what they produce. Youll bankrupt your self real quick if you rely on peoples good word to buy a product.

Just some food for thought, again, im not saying eventually someone wont step up the plate, but its highly unlikely. Technically if you look i'd be willing to bet GM is no longer producing factory replacement tails either. Not to say you cant buy new stock but they probably arent in production.

That being said that could be your saving grace... if the market bleeds up on factory replacements a company like DEPO may see a need to reproduce the part... then its likely they'll make a variation of it. But id say thats another couple years off.

Hard to say for sure but if I had to make my guess chances are slim.
$2000? For equipment to make a lens for a set of Tail lights? And even if it is that expensive shouldn't there be businesses that make F-Body parts that already have that equipment? For things like Aftermarket Camaro Tail lights and head lights. It's just the lens that needs to be replaced!

Quick Reply: Clear Honeycomb Taillights for Trans Am