Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Black 95 Z, full correction, dail up don't bother(finished pics page 2)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Prob the type of material. Having larger pores and firmness helps cutting where as its a microfiber material that has in essence "little fingers"
I received a special test cutting pad from Meguiars that had almost a cardboard like material but plastic behind it. Let's just say that thing was a cutting monster.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Fantastic results. Very nicely done.

One product I've found that has worked exceptionally well on these hard clear coats is Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover. It cuts these hard clears extremely quickly and simply doesn't dust nearly as easily as M105 does.

I've used M105 with foam and unless you properly prime the pad, it can be really tough to work with especially during a hot Chicago day! I normally use the KB pad priming method and achieve great results but very much dislike the short working time of the compound. I've been using a D300/M105 mix on the Megs 5" MF pad with alot of success in the past as well. It's another great combo on these cars.

Anyways, fantastic results man! And guys that are thinking about learning this stuff, it isn't that difficult. Go over to Jeff's professional detailer thread and read everything, like four times. Then keep reading and researching. These results are achievable with the right knowledge, products, and patience.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
I received a special test cutting pad from Meguiars that had almost a cardboard like material but plastic behind it. Let's just say that thing was a cutting monster.
Thats killer, hope it works out and they move to production!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Teching In

HOLY CRAP! Nice job! Please come do mine! haha

But on the real, what buffer/polisher do you use? What tool I mean? Porter Cable?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

^ what he said, i would like to do this to my camaro. Its not nearly as bad but it could use it in certain spots.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 887 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
I'd like to hear more about that. Could you get some pics or are you sworn to secrecy?

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Fantastic results. Very nicely done.

One product I've found that has worked exceptionally well on these hard clear coats is Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover. It cuts these hard clears extremely quickly and simply doesn't dust nearly as easily as M105 does.

I've used M105 with foam and unless you properly prime the pad, it can be really tough to work with especially during a hot Chicago day! I normally use the KB pad priming method and achieve great results but very much dislike the short working time of the compound. I've been using a D300/M105 mix on the Megs 5" MF pad with alot of success in the past as well. It's another great combo on these cars.

Anyways, fantastic results man! And guys that are thinking about learning this stuff, it isn't that difficult. Go over to Jeff's professional detailer thread and read everything, like four times. Then keep reading and researching. These results are achievable with the right knowledge, products, and patience.

You are spot on with everything you said. The M105 was about impossible to work with until I started using the KB method. Just using an "X" or three pea sized drops did nothing but dust and didn't cut that well. I've talked to Kevin Brown several times(on the internet)and he is an awesome guy. I'm sure he has forgot more about paint correction than I will probably ever know.

I need to pick up some more M105 and D300. I'm going to mix them 50/50 in a bottle. Jeff gave me that tip.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by masnart2000
HOLY CRAP! Nice job! Please come do mine! haha

But on the real, what buffer/polisher do you use? What tool I mean? Porter Cable?
Yeah I'm using the PC 7424XP. If I had to do it over again I would have probably gone with the Groits. They seem to have more power. HD has just came out with a new polisher I was reading about. Allegedly its suppose to act differently depending on what speed setting you use. They said it can act like a forced rotation polisher and also like a PC(I can't think of the word I need here) It's suppose to have more power than the PC also.

Don't get me wrong the PC will get the job done. After I get some more experience I will probably look into getting a FLEX.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great! Gotta love meguiars products
Old 06-16-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome work man that looks like an incredible turnaround. I still see some haze left over, but I bet that menzerna will clear that up nicely.

I was considering buying some microfiber pads for when I do my car but they are so expensive lol.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

What would this cost if you were doing a customers car? I don't want to get raped when I take my car in to get this done.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

wow amazing recovery.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dabest09
Awesome work man that looks like an incredible turnaround. I still see some haze left over, but I bet that menzerna will clear that up nicely.

I was considering buying some microfiber pads for when I do my car but they are so expensive lol.

You are right about the haze. The paint is soft in some areas. It probably wouldn't have been as bad with 205 and a black pad but I knew I was going to use the Menz on it.

The microfiber pads are defiantly worth it. They get a lot of defects out.

Originally Posted by bad6as
What would this cost if you were doing a customers car? I don't want to get raped when I take my car in to get this done.
That's hard to say. With cleaning the wheels(they were absolutely horrible, taking the wing off and all the correction I've done I would guess I have around 35 hours in it.

Depending on how bad your car is and how much you want it corrected will depend on the price. It also depends on if the person you take it to charges by the job or by the hour. Be very leery of someone who will "detail" your car for 150 bucks. Because that's what you will get, a 150 detail job. Be careful who you take your car too. Ask lots of questions and know what questions to ask. IMO if the person doesn't want to take time and explain the process they use either they; arrogant and don't want to tell their "trade" secrets OR don't know what they are doing. Again this is just my opinion.

The owner of the car in this thread showed me an ad on Craigslist Saturday night for a guy advertising a wash, wax, interior detail for $45 dollars.

Professional paint correction and cheap are normally not used in the same sentence unless the word "not" is between them.

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
wow amazing recovery.
Thank you!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. I will have finished pics of the car Wednesday. I appreciate everyone's interest and comments.

Here are a few pics pics to showing the Menz/black pad on it.

This is what we started with on the hoop.

This is where we are at now.

This is what the quarter panel started out as.

Here's a 50/50, Menz/black pad on the left, M205/white on right.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I will get some better pics of the hoop, I don't always remember how I took the before pic. IMO it's good to take the after pic the same way to show the true difference. I also don't want you guys to think I'm pulling some "Tom foolery" either.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is some great work!
Old 07-02-2012, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry it took so long to get finished pics up. Due to circumstances out of my control I didn't get to finish it till this afternoon. I get the car outside to take some pics and it starts to clouding up. It hasn't rained here in about a month and has been well into the 100's this week. I didn't have the car done for an hour and it started thundering. I got the car back in the garage about ten seconds before it opened up.

I will get some more pics tomorrow in the sun.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Old 07-02-2012, 01:59 AM
Teching In

Looks great!

I need to pick up 105/205 and do some work on my truck and my fiancee's 94 z28. Both of them have been repainted so they should turn out really nice. Her car is black and my truck is dark green.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 04GreenT
Looks great!

I need to pick up 105/205 and do some work on my truck and my fiancee's 94 z28. Both of them have been repainted so they should turn out really nice. Her car is black and my truck is dark green.
Thank you.

If its been repainted make sure you do a test spot first. This car has been repainted several different times(different panels) and most body shops will use a cheaper clear coat which is softer than OE. I ran into this on this car.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So this is what my car would look like haha.

Quick Reply: Black 95 Z, full correction, dail up don't bother(finished pics page 2)