Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

OE Cloth Seats vs. OE Leather Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Leather looks good, cloth doesn't. All my TA's had leather, my Z28 now is leather, and my last Z28 had cloth seats. Cloth was more comfy ( I think? ) didn't get hot/cold. Regardless, 45+ minutes in any 98-02 seat destroys my lower back, and I'm a youngin'. Even when i was 17 my WS6 hurt like hell after a while.
I drove my 98 Camaro over 6 hours one way on a trip a few years ago. I found it did hurt a bit on the lower back after about 2 hours due to a distinct lack of lumbar support (It had basic cloth seats). I stuffed my jacket behind me there and that actually helped quite a bit.

I'm looking into different, nicer seats for my 99 Camaro at some point. I've heard good things about the 6LE seats.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Don't get a Corbeau VX2000 if you want comfort or support

Corbeau perhaps makes some good seats but the VX 2000 is not one of them for comfort, back, or lateral support. Sitting in them is much worse than my stock cloth Camaro seats. It's nearly like sitting on a board with a thin cushion on top.

Plus the vinyl is so thin it has already worn through on the driver side and I have less than 3500 miles on the car. My car is literally a garage queen.

It's hard to imagine that a covering with such a thin coat of vinyl would have been placed into production by a company with such a high reputation as Corbeau.

I did complain to customer support. I was told they were aware of the short life span of the vinyl used for the covering for the VX2000, but couldn't do anything since the purchase date was some time again.

I could have bought at least three cheap sets of seats on ebay or Summit and still have less invested.

As you can see in the pic below, the seam has already worn away. Think about it - at 35 miles per trip with four in and outs per trip, that's 500 entries in and out of the car since I only have 3500 miles on the seats.

Whether or not the replacement covering on this seat is any better - make sure they send you a sample so you can at least look at it.

As for comfort - one can do much better with practially any seat - even stock.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1835930...57623345499537

Quick Reply: OE Cloth Seats vs. OE Leather Seats?