Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

98 Camaro SS drivers side window switch? maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Camaro SS drivers side window switch? maybe?

When I bought my 98 Camaro SS the previous owner told me the window didn't work because it needed a new motor which he included in the purchase. It worked well for about a month and a half now and now it's starting to give me issues. I had the car tinted about 3 weeks ago and the switch and window setup still worked right. Just recently the window is struggling really bad to go up and down. It still goes up and down, but I have to push down on it to get it to go down while holding the switch and pull up on it extremely hard while holding the switch to get it to come up. I put a little bit of grease in the triangle corner that guides the window up so it comes up easier, but that didn't seem to help. Just wondering if anyone had this before. Window switch, motor, relay? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Teching In

This might have to be moved to the general troubleshooting forum. Sorry if I'm out of the sub-category.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

So you did put a new motor in already or its still the old one?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JHartlovePDX
When I bought my 98 Camaro SS the previous owner told me the window didn't work because it needed a new motor which he included in the purchase. It worked well for about a month and a half now and now it's starting to give me issues. I had the car tinted about 3 weeks ago and the switch and window setup still worked right. Just recently the window is struggling really bad to go up and down. It still goes up and down, but I have to push down on it to get it to go down while holding the switch and pull up on it extremely hard while holding the switch to get it to come up. I put a little bit of grease in the triangle corner that guides the window up so it comes up easier, but that didn't seem to help. Just wondering if anyone had this before. Window switch, motor, relay? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!
This is what happens when the window motor gets worn out, it works very slow or not at all. You need to replace the motor.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Teching In

The motor is less then a month old. I guess it still could be that if it was faulty, but it worked flawlessly for that time. The switch seemed kind of loose on the back side. I might just take it to the dealership this time. I gotta have it working
Old 08-12-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Order the dorman window motors from amazon or rock auto. If he gave you a refurbished unit from eBay they usually fail pretty quickly
Old 08-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Teching In

I ordered a new wiring harness for the switch because when I pulled the door off it looks like he pried the back of the terminals off of the switch and there was nothing holding it in. I'll try that first and if that doesn't work I'll get a new dorman brand window motor. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: 98 Camaro SS drivers side window switch? maybe?