Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

02 WS6 bubbles on roof panel

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy 02 WS6 bubbles on roof panel

I have seen in the past that there is a recall on the Camaros for bubbles on the roof panel. Does that same recall hold true for the Firebirds? I have noticed 2 lines of bublles starting on my car on the passenger side. If it is a warranty thing I will take it in soon. TIA

Jason
Old 04-05-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a Technical Service Bulliten on this issue . . .
Old 04-05-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Use that search function up there on yer right, "TSB Bubbles", lot's of info here, ...

Good Luck!

(Been There, Done That, ..., Had mine replaced, ...)
Old 04-06-2004, 01:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Use that search function up there on yer right, "TSB Bubbles", lot's of info here, ...

Good Luck!

(Been There, Done That, ..., Had mine replaced, ...)
So you had yours replaced on your firebird? That is really what I was asking. Does the TSB include the firebirds?
Old 04-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Teching In

WOAAAAAAAAA!!!!!, I just read all about the bubbles in the roof panels (T Tops and Full roof panels). I went out and checked mine and sure enough I have about 3 or 4 small blisters (used to be bubbles) in the forward area of my T Top band on my 2001 Camaro.

1. That Pssss me off (wheres the GM quality, NOT).

2. Guess what, my car went out of warranty yesterday (so now I am really Pssd Off)

3. Are the bubbles on my car that bad right now? No (not right now) because they are very small (about 3/32 round) blisters and the rest of the T roof is perfect (but will it get worse, that is the question).

4. Will I get it fixed? Good question (if it was a recall I definetly would). The defects in my roof are hardly noticable right now and the risk of damage to other parts of the car (caused by or resulting from replacing the panel) by fixing it scares me (the car is in mint condition and I know where every little nick is). I have had other vehicle that I have had to the dealer for repair work only to have something else damaged and of course they do not tell you about it.

5. I have read where the bubbles can possibly cause the roof to seperate from the car. Now that really scares me because if that is a possibility and it causes an accident (like if my roof panel comes off and smacks another car following me and causes them to go out of control)!!!!!!!!. I wonder who would be be liable??? Hey, since GM has a TSP out on it now, they cannot say they don't know about.

6. What to do what to do??? (if it ain't broke don't fix it but...).

7. Is this something I need to worry about??? Am I to late for warranty work (it's GMs defect I did not cause it)?

8. Even if the panel was replaced what are the guaranttees the new panel will not have the same problem (adhesive gas causing bubbles)?
Old 04-06-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

rampcoSS,

The new panel adhesives will not cause the bubbles again. When they replace the panel, they are to clean all the old stuff off, & use a new/different product. The original adhesive is what wa really causing all the problems. BTW, the panel that comes off is garbage now, no way to to really save it.

And they can't sand/paint it to cure it. It must be removed & replaced.

If the bubbles are there, trust me, they'll get worse. I watched mine get worse over a years time. If I were you, I'd get to a deal immedately & make them work something out. It was present before the warranty ran out most likely. You just didn't notice it.

And Crash 02, Yes the TSB includes all F-body, Camaro & Firebird. But without reviewing it again, I'm not sure what years it covers.

Quick Reply: 02 WS6 bubbles on roof panel