Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Put some TA Sideskirts on my Formy

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put some TA Sideskirts on my Formy

Well it took a while but I picked them up on Ebay about a month ago and they were Blue. I did the prep, paint and install myself. Really gives it a cooler stance. Now I just gotta find a Tailgate and rear bumper locally so I dont get killed on shipping.

Anyway I also had my headrests done by Grant a few months ago and they came out great.

What do you think??

Old 08-20-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh not a fan.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Looks great! Well done
Old 08-20-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. Thinking of finishing it off with a TA rear bumper?
Old 08-20-2012, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks ok to me. Needs a TA rear bumper or a rear bumper valance to finish it off, at the very least, my DIY rear bumper flares. I have a TA rear bumper and sideskirts in storage for when my car gets repainted.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I like it the way it is.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Looks ok to me. Needs a TA rear bumper or a rear bumper valance to finish it off, at the very least, my DIY rear bumper flares. I have a TA rear bumper and sideskirts in storage for when my car gets repainted.
I agree. Im just waiting to find one close enough to where I live that I dont get killed on shipping. Id really like to find a black one so I dont even have to paint it
Old 08-20-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a fan. But I'm biased.
Originally Posted by ZexGX
His flares really help out if you cant find a TA rear bumper.

Here's a comparison shot:
Top is "stock"/bottom is "flared"-

Rear:

Profile:
Old 08-20-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by betterbait
Well it took a while but I picked them up on Ebay about a month ago and they were Blue. I did the prep, paint and install myself. Really gives it a cooler stance. Now I just gotta find a Tailgate and rear bumper locally so I dont get killed on shipping.

Anyway I also had my headrests done by Grant a few months ago and they came out great.

What do you think??

http://www.biggerbids.com/members/im...282_form10.jpg
http://www.biggerbids.com/members/im...283_form11.jpg
http://www.biggerbids.com/members/im...2280_form8.jpg
http://www.biggerbids.com/members/im...2281_form9.jpg

What wheels are those, they look good on an LT1
Old 08-20-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good! how did you install? I just pulled a pair from a friends car and there are more clips and things than I realized.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can also get a W68 rear bumper, here's a side pic of my car and a rear shot

Put some TA Sideskirts on my Formy-pepux.jpg
Old 08-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
looks good! how did you install? I just pulled a pair from a friends car and there are more clips and things than I realized.
I have to admit it was intimidating at first but I removed ALL of the original clips. I used rivets along the bottom and 3M Emblem 2face tape for the top. I fully installed them before doing the body work and paint so when they were done I was able to just pop them on. Rivets are easy to install and easy to remove so buy a box of 20 or so for the first install and the final install.

My fenders are plastic so for them I didnt use the metal rivets. Instead I used Plastic rivets that you can buy at any auto parts store.
These here: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2309&ppt=C1983

It also helps to have another person when doing the first install. You dont want to drill holes only to find out its not straight lol

Oh and after I drilled the holes and mounted them the first time, to remove you just drill out the rivet and they pop right off. After removing everything, I made sure I painted the holes so no bare metal was exposed to the elements.

Hope it helped

They are AZA Forged Wheels.
www.NOT-A-SPONSOR.com.org.gov.net
Old 08-21-2012, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
I made a printable Word doc using a how-to thread someone posted on FullThrottleV6, that shows how to mount TA sideskirts using factory hardware on a V6/Formula body. Has pictures, etc. LMK if you want me to email it to you.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Double sided body molding tape along the sides/rockers, and self-tapping screws along the bottom/underside of car. Works/holds fine, without having to drill large gaping holes into your cars body that will need filling/repair should you ever take the skirts off again.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not really a fan. I hate when people bastardize a Formula. If you wanted a TA, go get one.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i like it
Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

You did a pretty nice job on your install, man! And your car...all I can say is that you have one incredible example of an LT1 Formula! Great execution and talent!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93M6Formula
Not really a fan. I hate when people bastardize a Formula. If you wanted a TA, go get one.
I hear what your saying and in some ways agree. I was in the market for a TA for over 6 months and looked at at least 10-12 for sale. Although I wanted that look, price and condition was the issue. Every TA I looked at was beat to death and when I came across this formy it was kind of a no brainer.

The Formula was originally marketed to the less fortunate who couldnt afford all the flash of the TA but wanted the performance. Now the standard V6 Firebird is a whole different animal and wouldnt even consider trying to make it something that it isnt. So it all boils down to opinion and you have yours, which is cool.

If I got but hurt every time someone disagreed it wouldnt be any fun here!!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by betterbait
I hear what your saying and in some ways agree. I was in the market for a TA for over 6 months and looked at at least 10-12 for sale. Although I wanted that look, price and condition was the issue. Every TA I looked at was beat to death and when I came across this formy it was kind of a no brainer.

The Formula was originally marketed to the less fortunate who couldnt afford all the flash of the TA but wanted the performance. Now the standard V6 Firebird is a whole different animal and wouldnt even consider trying to make it something that it isnt. So it all boils down to opinion and you have yours, which is cool.

If I got but hurt every time someone disagreed it wouldnt be any fun here!!
I understand what you mean and I didn't mean to come off as an *******, I just like the Formula look. At least some people still like to customize these cars and make them their own.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

I understand what you mean and I didn't mean to come off as an *******, I just like the Formula look. At least some people still like to customize these cars and make them their own.
Says the guy who has a 98-02 style Ram Air hood and 02 WS6 Speedline Wheels (90%+ of which were on Trans Ams) on his 93-97 Formula. Pot, meet kettle.

And yes, I have a Trans Am hatch on my Formula Firehawk. Except my car isn't a Formula. Or a Firehawk. It was a V6. It has a TA hatch and a Raptor hood and Firehawk wheels. Rule of thumb... If a grouping of mods looks good, then go for it.

Quick Reply: Put some TA Sideskirts on my Formy