Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

g-body headlight upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a pair. and I don't like used harnesses....
Old 09-04-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry I was gone for the long weekend. I have not done anything with my El Camino recently. I'm doing body work and painting it so I haven't had it out much. I was wanting to buy some retrofit housings and then install some projectors in them.

If you have an El Camino with 2 headlights total older header style they are the 7"x6" type. If the car has the newer header with 4 headlights total they are 4"x6". I put a newer header panel on my car so I have 4 headlights now (hopefully that doesn't confuse people).

When I do the conversion I will do a write up like I did with my Camaro lights (its in the lighting FAQ) but it won't be for a while. I have some other maintenance to do in the mean time.

If you have any other questions I missed let me know.
Jessica
Old 09-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by trevmust
its a pair. and I don't like used harnesses....
I never mentioned a used harness. I made my own. The per-built ones I mentioned are also new, not used.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
Makes what? A completely new wire harness? That isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a relay harness that accepts input from the stock wiring as a trigger and gets power directly from the batter to supply the headlights using thicker gauge.

Here is a pic of the relay wiring harness I made for my car:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...enty-pics.html

If Painless makes something like that, please post a link, image, or part number.

Did this on my El Camino and it really helped output with my old Sylvania SilverStars.

OP I would start cheap and easy and work from there. Build the harness with relays and get good power to the lights, and then if that isn't enough just get some conversion housings with H4 halogen bulbs. The wiring is a great base and will be good for any of the things you do in the future. If you still are not satisfied with the output do the HID projectors. But maybe you won't feel you need to do all that if you find something less expensive that works for you and what you do with the car. For example; I rarely drive my Elky at night any more because it has specialty plates and is really only licensed for shows and parades. Adding the HIDs would be great but I'd rather spend the money right now on painting and getting the car to pass the smog check with a swapped 5.3L or 6.0L.

It really depends on how much you want to throw at the problem
Jessica

Quick Reply: g-body headlight upgrade