Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

7.5W LED Lights (pics, comparison)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
Sorry, missed that post in my reply. They are between 6000k and 7000k, IMO. They are for sure a bluish white and not 5000k or less. It is rather hard to find high powered 5000k LEDs, as any affordable ones that are close to 5000k tend to have an unappealing greenish hue (out of the ones I've purchased).
Old 09-10-2012, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Same here. I will make a video tonight.
Yes, please include a video if you can. It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks too bright but that could be from the camera settings.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, missed that post in my reply. They are between 6000k and 7000k, IMO. They are for sure a bluish white and not 5000k or less. It is rather hard to find high powered 5000k LEDs, as any affordable ones that are close to 5000k tend to have an unappealing greenish hue (out of the ones I've purchased).
Thanks. Ya the ones I have from superbright LEDs somewhat have a greenish color to them I thought it was the clear lense doing that.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

They are bright, but they have the potential to be brighter. The bulb doesn't sit right at the base of the socket like stock bulbs. V-leds offers a better design that works perfectly for our refractors, although they are much more expensive.

Nice upgrade!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:32 AM
12 Second Club

So, the front DRL's suck for use in the reverse lights compared to the CREE focused units. There is more overall coverage but the light isn't as focused or intense as the CREE units (which I guess is good because I can see what is directly behind my car... but bad because it sometimes limits vision to the sides. The CREE LEDs I have already in there outperform any other LED I've tested so far.

Originally Posted by VIP1
How is the differential between dim and bright? I've tried some drop-in LED replacements in the past and the difference between dim and bright was not nearly as much as the stock incandescent bulbs so I just stuck with the stock incandescent bulbs.
Turn signal video. I do see what you are saying about the Hi/Lo differential, but it is VERY noticeable in real life. I added an additional video at the end that shows the light output on the ground, to try and give a better view of the difference between Hi/Lo that my camera couldn't capture otherwise due to wash-out. I need to upgrade the side 194 bulbs to some bright LEDs to match the rest of the lights now and/or do sequential turn signals (then it should be a lot more noticeable).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnTF_...ature=youtu.be

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
They are bright, but they have the potential to be brighter. The bulb doesn't sit right at the base of the socket like stock bulbs. V-leds offers a better design that works perfectly for our refractors, although they are much more expensive.

Nice upgrade!
Judging from the actual product and not the eBay picture which doesn't match the exact product, the SMD height (positioning) looks to be extremely close between the eBay and the V-LED designs. If you can get me measurements from the V-LEDs lights in millimeters, I would be happy to get some of mine for comparison purposes. Below is another picture of my LEDs in the packaging for your reference (what I actually got, not the exact product the eBay seller posted). However what makes the V-LEDs design brighter is that it is a 5-SMD design (3-chip per SMD) whereas the ones I got for literally 1/2 the price are a 4-SMD design (3-chip per SMD). So, just know that the V-LEDs has one more SMD per "bulb", yet would be paying literally 2x the price. Any brighter than this would be totally ridiculous for untinted lenses or great for heavily tinted lenses, IMO. I know thanks to these tests that 5 SMD would be overkill for untinted lenses, assuming each SMD on the V-LEDs design is as bright as each SMD on the eBay design. To those people with tinted lenses, it would probably be worth the extra cost to avoid getting tickets.

Last edited by ZexGX; 09-11-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Those actually look like a good option.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Veteran

I was referring to the 7W V-led bulbs with 20 SMDs on each bulb...

http://www.v-leds.com/PLATINUM-RED-7...48913-1-2.html
Old 09-11-2012, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

I was referring to the 7W V-led bulbs with 20 SMDs on each bulb...
V-LEDs also sells LEDs like the ones in the first post. Considering that is the closest match to this product that V-LEDs sells I was assuming you were talking about them, since 7.5W LEDs are the subject of discussion here.
http://www.v-leds.com/RED-75W-HIGH-P...93176-1-2.html

There's a pretty huge issue with the positioning of those LEDs when it comes to use in stock reflector housings. Do you see the issue? Hint: it's the massive heatsink divider between the radial-firing LEDs and the forward-firing LEDs. That also noticeably changes the brightness and compromises the stock reflector design.

The latest review of those even has this to say: "Very bright head on, but not as bright as the stockers when viewed from the side, since the light output is different, therefore the housings aren't designed for LEDs." So... I'm pretty sure these are just fine (I posted a side view picture that shows they are incredibly bright).

Last edited by ZexGX; 09-11-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

I have the old design from V-leds, which has 20 SMDs on each bulb and the heatsink is on the base just like the bulbs posted by OP. I have seen both designs side by side, and the new design is brighter from a rear view since the side SMDs are more properly aimed at the reflector, which IMO is more important since most will be viewing brake lights from the rear rather than the side.

For Camaros this new design is better. You do have a Firebird, so maybe those ones you posted simply work better in Firebird tail lamps...

Check out the newer Cadillacs, Audis, etc. It's almost impossible to see those brake lights from a side view.

Either way, the bulbs you bought are awesome as are the v-leds. Gotta love LEDs compared to stock!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the old design from V-leds, which has 20 SMDs on each bulb and the heatsink is on the base just like the bulbs posted by OP. I have seen both designs side by side, and the new design is brighter from a rear view since the side SMDs are more properly aimed at the reflector, which IMO is more important since most will be viewing brake lights from the rear rather than the side.

For Camaros this new design is better. You do have a Firebird, so maybe those ones you posted simply work better in Firebird tail lamps...

Check out the newer Cadillacs, Audis, etc. It's almost impossible to see those brake lights from a side view.

Either way, the bulbs you bought are awesome as are the v-leds. Gotta love LEDs compared to stock!
On those V-leds bulbs, was there a good difference between the running lights and the brake lights? I had the 92 LED bulbs from V-leds and it was hard to tell when you were on the brakes when the headlights were on. There's no way I'm risking getting rear-ended just so I can have some cool looking brake lights.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Did my GTO interior with superbright LEDs - looks good
Old 09-15-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Latch: Yes, there is a good difference between running lights and brake lights. It is a 1:6 ration between the two, which is pretty significant. The 92-SMD models do not have high watt SMDs, so they're basically on full brightness all the time, whether or not you're pressing the brakes. Those are only good for turn signals or running lamps..
Old 09-21-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any word on if these will fit in Camaro reverse housings?
Old 09-21-2012, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Latch
I had these problems as well, in addition, the LED brake lights would cause the cruise control to stop working. Resistors would most likely fix these problems, but the fact that it was difficult to tell when you were on the brakes when the headlights were on was troubling. When you hit the brakes it was only marginally brighter than the running lights.

Even with an EL12 flasher, the LED turn signals only worked maybe 75% of the time. Again, resistors or a fully electronic flasher would fix this problem, but I was under the impression the EL12 could handle LEDs as long as they were only in the front or in the back.

So far only LED reverse lights have worked with no issues for me.
I had the same problem with mine so I went to the reg bulbs. I have the EL12 flasher and it only works with Front OR Back not both. Any links to a blinker that would work with both?
Any other way to fix the tail light LEDs so it keeps the Cruise control on? Without using resistors?
Old 09-22-2012, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry, the car has been at the local transmission shop for a warranty repair. I should be able to find out next Friday or maybe earlier.

Originally Posted by insidethreat07
I had the same problem with mine so I went to the reg bulbs. I have the EL12 flasher and it only works with Front OR Back not both. Any links to a blinker that would work with both?
Any other way to fix the tail light LEDs so it keeps the Cruise control on? Without using resistors?
Can't comment on this since the ones I have work and I don't have a Camaro or a Cruise Control module currently installed (LS1 swap, never got around to adding Cruise Control...). When I get my car back from the shop I'll throw in my eBay flasher modules and see if any of them also work so I can get you a link.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ordered these brake lights. Just got them today I'll stick them in there to see if they fit. It didn't look like they would fit when I checked the depth in the brake light.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

They fit in the reverse housing with not very much room to spare.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
They fit in the reverse housing with not very much room to spare.
What about the brake housing?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about the brake housing?
Of course, plenty of room in there depth wise. When I measured I think there was 20mm left with these LEDs. I took a vid with one led brake light vs. halogen bulb if anyone is interested how it looks in a camaro taillight I'm upload it. They are pretty damn bright...
Old 09-22-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

They all seem to work great for the first few weeks then they start to die, at least mine always do. The quality just seems to be poor on all of these and their not cheap.

Quick Reply: 7.5W LED Lights (pics, comparison)