Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

7.5W LED Lights (pics, comparison)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 10:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
Of course, plenty of room in there depth wise. When I measured I think there was 20mm left with these LEDs. I took a vid with one led brake light vs. halogen bulb if anyone is interested how it looks in a camaro taillight I'm upload it. They are pretty damn bright...
Post it!

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
They all seem to work great for the first few weeks then they start to die, at least mine always do. The quality just seems to be poor on all of these and their not cheap.
You've used these exact ones before?
Old 09-23-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that great of quality, was going to get a night video but I was getting eatin alive by mosquitos...

They really are brighter.

http://youtu.be/gt4sgqBey7w
Old 09-23-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Would you say there's a significant difference between the running lights and brake lights with these bulbs?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They were commenting earlier in the thread that they have a significant difference in brightness.

Has anybody else had problems with these things dying?
Old 09-24-2012, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Latch
^ Would you say there's a significant difference between the running lights and brake lights with these bulbs?
U can definitely tell they get brighter. But I think the difference between brake and running is slightly less significant than halogen, cause the halogens are sooooo dim with just the taillights.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Latch
In the video he posted, it really looks like it. Same for the last clip in my video...
Old 09-26-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Okay, so where are we at in this thread??? I was thinking about doing something "cute" for my car and I had no idea changing over to LEDs was this complicated (and expensive). I was just thinking about doing the various rear lights including side markers, which currently look too pink through my clear corners, rear tails and brakes. It sounds like the turn signals should be left alone unless I want to deal with resistors.

So based on this thread, what are the final results of what to buy and from which seller?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
Okay, so where are we at in this thread??? I was thinking about doing something "cute" for my car and I had no idea changing over to LEDs was this complicated (and expensive). I was just thinking about doing the various rear lights including side markers, which currently look too pink through my clear corners, rear tails and brakes. It sounds like the turn signals should be left alone unless I want to deal with resistors.

So based on this thread, what are the final results of what to buy and from which seller?
Same as in the first post.... Too lazy to read the thread? There's videos and everything, lol..
Old 08-06-2013, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always contemplated swapping the tails to LEDs but was always turned off by needing to wire resistors in-line. What did you make out in regard to getting a fully digital/electronic flasher module?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Y2KFirehawk
I've always contemplated swapping the tails to LEDs but was always turned off by needing to wire resistors in-line. What did you make out in regard to getting a fully digital/electronic flasher module?
Never cut or spliced a wire on my car to make LEDs work.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

I've had three different encounters with resistors, and each time I did, I quickly disconnected them and walked away with the same conclusion: These little dudes can be dangerous! First the resistors got very, very hot. As in, if you touch it with your bare hands, you may leave some of your skin melted on the resistor housing. And even when I mounted the resistors to metal surfaces, unless there was a significant area of space around them for the air to circulate freely, I found that they can melt elements of their surroundings and, if left in use for too long, can potentially cause a fire.

I attached a resistor to the wiring of the third brake light in my wife's 2011 Ford Escape because I swapped in LED bulbs to replace the incandescent bulbs. The roof "pocket" that the plastic housing fits into is metal, top bottom, and has some free space inside. Despite securing the resistor to the metal several inches away from the brake light, after I put the light housing back in its seat in the roof, smoke and horrible fumes began rolling out around the edges of the light because the resistor was baking the inside of the Escape's roof, directly above it, and the brake light plastic, and the front of the brake light was very warm. Even the underside of the resistor's gold body had partially melted.

I've experienced similar heat buildup near and around two other resistors: One I installed on the inner fender in our SUV's spacious engine compartment, the other I attached to the metal bodywork inside the rear fender where there is direct airflow upward from the ground. Even then, the resistors generated so much heat so quickly, I removed them permanently.

One set of resistors came from my local AutoZone, the other two pairs came from eBay; all produced the same results for me. Perhaps I just had bad luck or damaged resistors and other members can present solutions that I didn't think of to make them safe and viable, but I can't recommend the resistors, based on my experience.

For my Camaro, I bought a nice, heavy-duty digital/electronic signal flasher at Autozone for about $17.00 with tax and have enjoyed it ever since.

Good luck with your project!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my experienced with LED bulbs... My switchbacks still work with EL12s. (> 3 years) I have LED bulb on side parking lights.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bene
Here is my experienced with LED bulbs... My switchbacks still work with EL12s. (> 3 years) I have LED bulb on side parking lights.
X2 - not 3 years, but no problems at all and have op 7.5w leds in turns and brake lights, even the small side ones. No issues at all. Just drls are not bright as stock.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:22 AM
Teching In

I have switchback Leds in DRLs and LEDS in my side markers and an EBay LED 3rd brake light and full LED tail lights in my TransAm. Switched to the EL12s and everything works great and as it should except my cruise control doesnt work any longer. Is there a viable fix for this other than using a resistor in my brake lights?
Old 09-12-2013, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z28RS
I've had three different encounters with resistors, and each time I did, I quickly disconnected them and walked away with the same conclusion: These little dudes can be dangerous! First the resistors got very, very hot. As in, if you touch it with your bare hands, you may leave some of your skin melted on the resistor housing. And even when I mounted the resistors to metal surfaces, unless there was a significant area of space around them for the air to circulate freely, I found that they can melt elements of their surroundings and, if left in use for too long, can potentially cause a fire.
Do you have pictures of how your resistors were installed? Sounds to me like you wired them up incorrectly and there was a short of power to ground.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Subscribing! Thank GOD for this thread. I'm in the process of converting to LED's inside and out. Mine is an 02 Trans Am. What a nightmare!
I've got the web electric sequential tail light kit, clear side markers with LED's, and a clear LED 3rd brake light already. I'd like to convert to LED Taillights especially when Klears gets the clear honeycomb taillight lenses done. I'd also like to do LED switchbacks for my front DRL's...but from what I can tell by searching, nobody has figured out a way to do that with the sequential tails.
Here is what I've narrowed it down for reverse lights. Do any of you guys have any feedback on any of these?
http://retro-solutions.net/product-i...bs-pid704.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400347798287...84.m1438.l2649
For the switchback DRL's I've been considering these:http://www.ebay.com/itm/230945857696...84.m1438.l2649
I'm still not sure about my fog lights. I'm checking with blackbirdlightingsolutions and LED Concepts to see about retrofitting my OEM housings to HID projectors and halo rings...but if that's not an option I was thinking about trying these LED bulbs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/380616440826...84.m1438.l2649
If anyone has any experience with better options/choices...please let me know.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

ok.......my front superbrite leds died after a yr......got some amber leds off ebay with the brighter samsung leds.....MUCH better !!!! my front side markers died too .....grrrrr.......replaced with the same type of samsung leds from same seller.......MUCH brighter

i use FULLY ELECTRONIC flashers from superbrite.............EL12s are not FE

to solve the cruise going out after led install in rear lights........i switched to regular bulbs in the 3rd light...........worked like a charm

guess the regular bulbs provide enough resistance to make the cruise work
Old 09-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
ok.......my front superbrite leds died after a yr......got some amber leds off ebay with the brighter samsung leds.....MUCH better !!!! my front side markers died too .....grrrrr.......replaced with the same type of samsung leds from same seller.......MUCH brighter

i use FULLY ELECTRONIC flashers from superbrite.............EL12s are not FE

to solve the cruise going out after led install in rear lights........i switched to regular bulbs in the 3rd light...........worked like a charm

guess the regular bulbs provide enough resistance to make the cruise work
Which third light did you swap for regular bulbs? The smallest bulb on the farthest end nearest the 1/4 panels (914 or whatever?)
Old 09-16-2013, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The absence of light
Which third light did you swap for regular bulbs? The smallest bulb on the farthest end nearest the 1/4 panels (914 or whatever?)
The third brake light is the light in the center of the spoiler that only lights up when you push on the brakes...
Old 09-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZexGX
The third brake light is the light in the center of the spoiler that only lights up when you push on the brakes...
Gotcha.. I thought you meant a third bulb in the actual tail lights. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 7.5W LED Lights (pics, comparison)