Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Less expensive HID projector setup for early 4th Gen birds?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 06:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Less expensive HID projector setup for early 4th Gen birds?

Not sure if I'll get ragged on for posting direct links, but combine this with this and some wiring adapters/etc?
I was thinking of getting this for the fog lights, as well.
Or just take the HID kits that come with the 4x6 housings and use them for the fog lights and get 880 bulbs, assuming that those kits aren't bixenon. Anybody know how the bixenon kits from supervtec switch between low and high? In the description of the listing it says "WITH THE BIXENON, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO MAINTAIN BOTH BEAM PATTERN BECAUSE THE BIXENON BULB CAN MOVE WITHIN ITS HOUSING GIVING YOU BOTH HI AND LOW BEAM PATTERNS," I assume it has a moving cover similar to the BLS solution, just inside the bulb itself?
Sorry if this has been covered before, there are just so many lighting threads to wade through...

edit: Nevermind, it looks like the housings are the same as (or very similar to) these, I thought the first housings I listed were somehow better.
Does anyone have any experience with the cheapy "projector in a reflector" housings?

Last edited by dejo87; 09-08-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The housings you posted are not projector setups but just a piece of round glass put in front of the bulb stuffed into a basic 4x6 housing. There are different Bixenon HID kits out there. Some have a HID bulb as the low and a halogen on the side for the high, others use a movable shield to allow light to hit the bottom of the housing to simulate the high beam mode. The BLS kit uses a true Bixenon projector and is nothing close to what you posted.

I've owned all of these solutions and nothing performs close to a proper projector setup. You get what you pay for. If you are looking to spend minimal $ to upgrade the lighting, look into the Hella 165mm free form conversion housings. They take a standard H4 lamp and the housings are very well made.

Quick Reply: Less expensive HID projector setup for early 4th Gen birds?