Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

The Proper Cleaning of the LSx engine bay..

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to second the CD2 cleaner/detailer - I've used it to clean the motor twice now and as long as ur careful around the belts with the detailer (sqeaks are already a problem with LS1 belts, no need to make it worse) it makes the motor shine like crazy!
Old 03-31-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurboZ28
Should I worry about getting my opti-spark wet?
This is for LSx engines, but yeah you should be worried about the opti-spark getting wet...
Old 03-31-2005, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

i want to thank you guys. if it wasn't for this thread i would have cleaned my engine bay. i thought that you still couldn't get the motor wet. anyways i just spent about a hour on it yesterday and though i would share my results. if you didn't want pics in this thread then you can delete them.
Before

After
Old 04-20-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just thought I would add that a small paint brush works really well in getting all of the dirt out of the little cracks and crevaces. Also aluminum polish will do wonders on the a/c drier and hose ends, the brake box thingy that all the lines go into beside the power steering pump and all of the other aluminum lines and finttings. Also waxing all the painted parts; underside of the hood, strut towers, fender edges, brackets, etc. you'll have a show ready enging bay.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's been mentioned several times, but I don't think there is enough emphasis on this:

Water can (and probably will) get UNDER the intake manifold. The knock sensors are located there and sit in pockets. When water gets in those pockets it has NO PLACE to go except to evaporate. If it doesn't evaporate it will destroy the knock sensors.

If you have a bad knock sensor do a search for the GM TSB on a sort of "fix" for the water problem. If you need any more info on this, PM me and I'll be glad to share (I have pictures, too).

Other than that, cleaning the engine bay is a snap.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:29 AM
On The Tree

hey, i cleaned my engine with the engine brit and the cd2 stuff. i soaked the engine while washing of the cleaners. i made sure to cover the computer and the wires coming from the computer. now my car is runnig really weird. i also used a leaf blower to dry off the engine. the car was running fine the night i did all this but, the next day it was acting very eratic. tonight the car died on me. i pulled into a parking lot and it died. i tried starting her up and two seconds after it starts up it just dies. i had to get flat beded. could the water have caused this problem and if so, what should i look for to fix these problem?
Old 05-23-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

now that's scary. Maybe I won't use that cd2 stuff
Old 06-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Launching!

okay, I think Im gunna try this, the damn car better run after I clean it!!!, PM me your suggestions on what to use to clean it.....its a 2000 and I doubt it has ever been cleaned. Thanks!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

okay, i took my car to the dealer, they said my problem was the MAF sensor, they havent changed it yet. if it really is the MAF sensor what i would think is that water got into the air box while i was cleaning and damaged the MAF sensor. does that make sense? will water kill an MAF sensor?
Old 06-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Teching In

I had a little water make mine act funny but once it dried it was fine *shrug*

I will say keep simple green AWAY... far far away!! from your fuse box covers. That stuff will eat the stickers right off the top and then you can't tell what it was. My bottle leaked a little on top of the cover and when I use a towel to DAB it up, not wipe, just blotted, it took the paint with it. And you can't buy just the sticker from GM, you have to buy a whole new lid!!
Old 06-15-2005, 07:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
Congrats to Fenix.. his post made me realize how much this question comes up (over and over and over)

So its time for a sticky.. So contribute USEFULL info to the thread.. tips, tricks and such.. posts that dont contribute to the topic will be pruned

What I do..

Remove any parts like FRC's and billet caps, etc (optional)
lightly mist greasy or dirty areas with Simple Green
Loosen heavy areas with a soft bristle brush (toothbrush?)
wash painted areas with car shampoo solution
Rinse with hose

NOTE: Just use common sense.. dont spray high pressure on the MAF, Lid, Coils, PCM and other area.. just rinse them.. DO use high pressure to rinse the block and areas where its obvious water wont do an harm.

I would also (on my engine) pour a gallon or tow of distilled water over the whole deal.. this help with spots on my chromed and polished parts.. but thats just me

Regular guy finish off: Towel dry.. run engine and they towel dry again.. detail to your heart desire...

Advanced finish off: 200mph leaf blower! .. blow that sucker dry and save a lot of time with the towel.. then use compressed air to get all the nooks and crannies dry.. towel off the last drops and detail..

Keep in mind that the engines are designed to be pretty water proof.. we do not have the problems with the Opti that the LT1's had.. just use common sense and remember that even if your not into show, a clean engine is just easier to work on..

Chevy's never need to worked unlike those others that are named after some animal..........LOL
Old 07-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Going to give it a shot, I have owned my car over a year and havent cleaned the engine / bay yet. Gonna do before / afters and hopefully it runs afterwords lol. im gonna just do small areas at a time and try not to get anything wet that doesnt need to be (ie: covers and things I can apply cleaner to a towel / rag and wipe off)
Old 07-07-2005, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys, I know this thread is mainly for LSx engines but as you can see from my username, I have a 2001 Camaro with a 3.8L V6. Does anybody have any tips or advice on cleaning this engine and engine bay? As far as I know it's never been cleaned and is pretty dirty. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:49 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroV6
Hey guys, I know this thread is mainly for LSx engines but as you can see from my username, I have a 2001 Camaro with a 3.8L V6. Does anybody have any tips or advice on cleaning this engine and engine bay? As far as I know it's never been cleaned and is pretty dirty. Thanks.
The steps explained here can pretty much be applied to any engine bay...
Old 07-09-2005, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ArcticSS
It's been mentioned several times, but I don't think there is enough emphasis on this:

Water can (and probably will) get UNDER the intake manifold. The knock sensors are located there and sit in pockets. When water gets in those pockets it has NO PLACE to go except to evaporate. If it doesn't evaporate it will destroy the knock sensors.

If you have a bad knock sensor do a search for the GM TSB on a sort of "fix" for the water problem. If you need any more info on this, PM me and I'll be glad to share (I have pictures, too).

Other than that, cleaning the engine bay is a snap.

That sucks.

Glad I have a daily driver so I don't have to drive my vette in the rain.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:50 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JackZ28
I've cleaned a couple of my friends' engine bays, because I simply could not look at it without wanting to hit them!

I had one of my new joes spit chew on the side of my car one day.... oh yes had to put some corrective training into play. Just a little cleaning
Old 07-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cleaned my engine with simple green automotive cleaner. Removed the lid and MAF, taped the TB.

Now about the knock sensors, I just ran it for two hours afterwards, I really don't think any standing water was left.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Hate to jump in so late on this thread, but a tool that will make things alot simpler for washing under the hood is a bathroom sponge (you know, the frayed sponge on the end of a plastic rod, used to clean in and around the throne). It will go into alot of tight spaces like the firewall or down the fenderwells.
I've always found one very handy.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple green is corrosive. We are not allowed to use it on our aircraft. So I wont use it on the car. just hose down car soap brush dry polish and time and the results will warrant complements.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey hawaiiboysz, is that an RC-135 in your sig?

Quick Reply: The Proper Cleaning of the LSx engine bay..