Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

The Proper Cleaning of the LSx engine bay..

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why yes it is. I was stationed at offutt for little under 8 years and just pcs'd into NAS souda bay 1 year remote tour supporting the RC's. You down near majors field? Theres another guy around here that works on them down at depot.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This degreaser stuff is worrying me...

I bought some of that orange Greased Lightning they sell at AutoZone, my engine bay is terribly trashed, just needs a simple clean.....can I used a diluted mixture of the degreaser and water instead of spraying straight degreaser on there befoer I rinse it.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

i know this is a late post, but i just used the wheel cleaner at one of those do it yourself car washes, worked great.

also personaly i wouldnt "dress up" your motor bay unless your car dosent get driven much, for two reasons, one some of that tire dressing is flamable... also dirt just sticks to the dressed part of the motor and it always looks dirty and is slimey. just hose it off and keep it clean..
Old 09-04-2005, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

you raise a valid point, but the benefit of the cd2 engine detailer is that it creates a layer for when you wash it the next time dirt and grime just comes right off... I highly recommend it!
Old 09-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Throwing my .02 fwitw,
1. Let the engine get good and cool, covered up the PCM, the lip under the air box on my 00 T/A and any other area of exterior paint that might get over spray, cause I'm a clutz!
2. Used GUNK Orange Cirtus Engine Brite, sprayed it everywhere under the hood and then scrubbed the really dirty areas with a tooth brush, easier to get in the small places with that... and then re-sprayed those areas...
3. waited a good 10-15 min
4. Used my water hose with the sprayer head set to stream/cone and rinsed thoroughly from top down
5. Use a clean but well used towel to dry up the standing water you can reach, and then use a vaccum cleaner to get to the areas you can't... (I just didn't like the leaf blower idea much) especially the back top of the TB and any other recessed area that pools water and then ran the car for a while... min of 10-15... This stuff is both a cleaner and detailer... nuff said
6. any aluminum parts grab a little terry cloth and some mothers aluminum polish and BLING! for the hoses and other rubber/plastic I used Vinylex by Lexol...
So far it looks good but mines a daily driver on the highways and city so this doesn't last for too long!
-CW
Old 09-26-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just wash mine with water and a cloth. It cleans up really well, though I don't try to make anything shiny just really clean.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just wash mine with water and a cloth. It cleans up really well, though I don't try to make anything shiny just really clean.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:02 AM
>X<
On The Tree

when i finish paint/body work on customers cars i always give it a good detail. car soap and water on a rough rag usually gets everything perfectly clean and i wipe all of the black plastic/rubber with Meguires shiny tire/rubber dressing. my 01 yukon engine bay looks better than any 06 on the car lot
Old 10-23-2005, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Clean my engines off with engine degreaser, rinse well then completely dry. After that I take a can of clearcoat and spray down anything that needs a good shine. Believe me it works. I worked for a chevy dealarship detailing cars and a can of clearcoat just about sold those used cars.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

I use Formula 409 for a degreaser (not corrosive like simple green), a toothbrush to get to tough areas, wipe down with a towel.

I then spray the whole engine compartment with CD2 and wipe it down.

Looks amazing !

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 12-29-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

i always used GUNK! on my engines works great for grease then powerwash it i have a cheap electric powerwasher not a superduty gas one that will kill a small dog also and just lightly wipe down electricals u cant powerwash and ive had some spotless motors useing that method
Old 01-17-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I hate about degreaser is teh smell afterwards....does teh CD stuff smell afterwards
Old 01-17-2006, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Ever since i used the cd2 engine detailer my engiine would have a slight smell of burning plastic every once in a while.. am i the only one that has this problem?
Old 01-19-2006, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
FAQ from Simple Green's website.

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?
Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All-Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.
This may have been answered in the rest of the pages but I don't have time at this moment to read through them all BUT, I looked over the Simple Green products available and they all warned about using on aluminum I believe except for the automitve Simple Green. I have also been washing my engine with it since I have had my car and it has 98K on it right now with no problems. I believe the auotmotive Simple Green is safer to use on aluminum than their oginal products but I could be wrong??
Old 03-04-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm gonna take mine to the carwash down the street and use the pressure washer and air dryer for a few minutes, should come out good hopefully.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried the simple green , it did wonders for most stuff but it turned parts of my intake manifold greenish. I dont think its actually the plastic though, I think its all the junk caked on it cuz I can scrape it off with my finger.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a great guide... I've never once cleaned an engine bay of any car, I've always been afriad to. Is this something that you guys would do at home or at a local wash/spray car-wash? I would assume at home that way the engine is cold. I will have to try and follow what is written above and see how I can do! Just thinking in my mind I and what I read, do most of you guys only spray the head with a cleaning agent? That being the top most obvious part to get dirty. Thoughts? I wish I wasn't such a wuss!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd never cleaned mine till today, it turned out REALLY well I was surprised. Just let the engine cool down till its cool enough to touch. cover up the PCM with something and go crazy (not too crazy lol) Just make sure you get it really dry, it sounds crazy but I am guilty- Use a leaf blower! it works great
Old 06-23-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
Only way I know of doing this is by getting some aluminum polish and doing it by hand...

or use BrassO and some elbow grease
Old 06-23-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

is it safe to use the degreaser from the car wash....and follow through with the spot free rinse to clean it off??

Quick Reply: The Proper Cleaning of the LSx engine bay..