Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Blinker not blinking after bulb install. (Another Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinker not blinking after bulb install. (Another Thread)

So I looked up some of the past threads on here about, "Blinker not Blinking".

I just wanted to see if I am right with thinking it the socket.

So I got some new turn signals, new bulbs. I installed them today.

During the install, I did the Driver Side first.

I removed the larger blinker bulb from the socket and I'm pretty sure a metal prong fell out from the socket. (And its GONE) I think there are 2 on each side, 4 total. And the socket was in **** poor condition, melted, burnt, deformed slightly.

So I put it back in to see if it would still work, It lit up, did the other side, all good.

Go to try my blinkers, Passenger side everything is gravy, blinking away.

Driver Side, I go to hit the blinkers. Arrow Signal on dash just stays lit, front doesn't do anything (lit, not blinking), rear tail light blinker stays lit, (not blinking)

Put on hazards, with lights off, arrow dash blinks both sides (good), rear tail light brake light indicator blinks (good), front doesn't blink it is off completely.

Does this sound like it is the socket? I don't think its the flasher module because I'm pretty sure it worked 1 week ago. And I know something fell out of my busted *** socket when I removed the bulb from the Driver Side (Side with the issue)

I haven't driven the car for 1 week but I'm prrrettty sure the blinker was working before I installed the bulbs.

What yall think?
Old 11-10-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just get a new socket from the parts store n splice it to the existing wiring n your good to go.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chaos07
Just get a new socket from the parts store n splice it to the existing wiring n your good to go.
For real? So these stated symptoms I'm experiencing are pointing to the socket huh.

I'm going to check the fuse too but could that be it when it does blink with the hazards?

How hard is it changing the socket, Do I just cut the existing wires?
Old 11-10-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine would get condensation from not sealing right n would look all burnt up n blow lights every week so I put a new socket in n it's been doing good
Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See nothing was blown, I think it must be the socket because of that piece that went flying. How hard is it to install the socket?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone know how to install the turn signal socket? pita?
Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Launching!

I did it on my 02 ws6 and it was a fairly simple install. Just strip you wires and solder them on and i do believe its color to color...so that will be easy. The only hard part is working with the access panel where you reach in to change your bulb. But its not that hard at all. I would even go one step further and take your sockets apart and clean the socket and the metal tabs (you can even use a little sandpaper to make the surface clean) in the socket itself in the socket you didnt replace and put some of that electrical connection jelly in it. Use the same jelly to pack the socket itself when your installing your bulbs also. Be VERY generous with it because that almost prevents moisture from entering the socket and shorting out your bulb. Make sure you place it back in the housing correctly also, yes its mindless to say that, but sometimes you can put it back in the housing not right and moisture will get into the housing. Hope this helps! Once you do it, it will look awesome, especially with some new turn signal housings.

Also when you cut the old socket off, just cut it just after the socket, that give you plenty of wire to work with, also the new socket will come with a good length wire to play with also, i kind of left mine kind of long, so most of my work can be done out of the bumper and its MUCH easier to work with when you do that.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StealthWeaponLS1
I did it on my 02 ws6 and it was a fairly simple install. Just strip you wires and solder them on and i do believe its color to color...so that will be easy. The only hard part is working with the access panel where you reach in to change your bulb. But its not that hard at all. I would even go one step further and take your sockets apart and clean the socket and the metal tabs (you can even use a little sandpaper to make the surface clean) in the socket itself in the socket you didnt replace and put some of that electrical connection jelly in it. Use the same jelly to pack the socket itself when your installing your bulbs also. Be VERY generous with it because that almost prevents moisture from entering the socket and shorting out your bulb. Make sure you place it back in the housing correctly also, yes its mindless to say that, but sometimes you can put it back in the housing not right and moisture will get into the housing. Hope this helps! Once you do it, it will look awesome, especially with some new turn signal housings.

Also when you cut the old socket off, just cut it just after the socket, that give you plenty of wire to work with, also the new socket will come with a good length wire to play with also, i kind of left mine kind of long, so most of my work can be done out of the bumper and its MUCH easier to work with when you do that.
Oh nice so the new socket comes all ready wired in the wire ports.

I do have a small question, when you say clean/sandpaper the sockets metal tabs. If I'm getting a new socket won't they be in good condition? I'm sorry just a little confused.

Thanks a bunch, you've been a great help. btw, After explaining my problem, does it sound like it is the socket and not the flasher module?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

oi oiiii

Quick Reply: Blinker not blinking after bulb install. (Another Thread)