Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HID t/a lights question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID t/a lights question

I replaced my driver's headlight tonight and realized how pathetic they are.. I've been wanting to do brighter lights and im ready to pull the trigger. However.. I know there's a plethora of threads on HID's and whatnot, which would take hours on end to look through. I saw these, and was wondering how good these are
http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...%252d2002.html

anyone have any experience on these?
Old 11-17-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Regular

There's stickies on this stuff. But, since I'm here...everyone will tell you DDM Tuning for HID kits. They're cheap chinese ****. I will never purchase anything from them again and they take forever to get **** in 'cause they're shipped from china... If you want a good quality HID kit order from the retrofit source, google it. They're more expensive but far superior in quality, light clarity and life span. Also, please don't be a douche bag and put HID's in non-projector housings. It looks like **** and blinds everyone around you. Anyone who thinks differently is fulling themselves.

Here's a link to what I did:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...nto-my-ta.html
Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check out the Lighting FAQ.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/710357-lighting-faq.html

If you want to stick with Halogen, you can get the LMC Truck housings which take standard 9005/9006 bulbs.

If you want to get HID, get projectors. Preferably HID projectors, but some Halogen projectors handle HID well. There is a sponsor that sells kits. You could also do your own custom setup.

Information about both options is in the Lighting FAQ.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did the LMC truck housings and DDM HID's. Looks awesome!

Have been using DDM for over 5 years and not a single issue.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LOHRTBT
I did the LMC truck housings and DDM HID's. Looks awesome!

Have been using DDM for over 5 years and not a single issue.
+1 have the lmc housing and the ddm kit and have not had any problems. I also have not had anyone flash me either but as stated above the ddm kit does take a long time to come in.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys for the responses.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

what is the lmc housing?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

lmctruck.com
Old 11-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The part numbers should be in the housings thread in the Lighting FAQ.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought an hid kit off amazon. Idk what my problem is, but the output sucks. I have like 4-6 feet of visibility.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
I bought an hid kit off amazon. Idk what my problem is, but the output sucks. I have like 4-6 feet of visibility.
Your problem is you bought it off Amazon...
Old 11-21-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 for the LMC and DDM combo, had it for 2 years without any problems at all , also havent blinded anyone unlike the popular belief..
Old 11-21-2012, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cemlsx
+1 for the LMC and DDM combo, had it for 2 years without any problems at all , also havent blinded anyone unlike the popular belief..
That is what I have and haven't had any problems either .. I just bought a BLS kit though so my LMC/DDM kit is coming off
Old 11-21-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought the xentec kit with LMC housings. I've had two ballasts go out, and I'm thinking it was for moisture. I applied the lithium grease and it didn't help at all. They are tucked up out of the way but this is my second ballast. Any ideas?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never had any problems with my DDM Tuning ballasts , and they arent really tucked in either..

I also want the BLS kit and I`m waiting for their new version Bi-Xenon kit to come out but the LMC housings are a nice budget option , my sealed beams were out and I didnt have the money to spare on the BLS kit as I was doing my suspension and these things are still great after 2 years , I still have no rush to swap them out , I am pretty pleased with them..
Old 11-21-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

You THINK you haven't blinded anyone but you have. They just didn't flash you. I get blinded all the time by people who do the same thing and just don't even bother to flash them. It's really popular in this shitty town to put HID's in everything. Looks like ****. I even saw a minivan with them last night. Makes no since to me.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
I bought the xentec kit with LMC housings. I've had two ballasts go out, and I'm thinking it was for moisture. I applied the lithium grease and it didn't help at all. They are tucked up out of the way but this is my second ballast. Any ideas?
My guess would be it's the brand and not moisture. I hate my DDM's with a passion. Just haven't had a chance to replace them yet. When I do projectors in my fogs I'll replace the DDM balasts at the same time. It's good for everyone that keeps praising them that they haven't had any issues with them. Wish I was that lucky but I've had ballast and bulb issues with them.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CayenneRedV6
You THINK you haven't blinded anyone but you have. They just didn't flash you. I get blinded all the time by people who do the same thing and just don't even bother to flash them. It's really popular in this shitty town to put HID's in everything. Looks like ****. I even saw a minivan with them last night. Makes no since to me.
as long as they`re aimed right theres no reason they`ll blind people , the light distribution may not be as well as projectors but it is pretty good nonetheless.
Trust me I`ve been flashed in other cars after 5 minutes of driving but not a single person has flashed me or told me my lights blinded them , thats why they are aimed perfect imo.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I also had another question. If i get the HID fog light kit, would I have to worry about my fog light black outs melting?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From being on both sides of the fence now with both a sealed beam conversion and the BLS kit... i can deffinatly say it makes a huge diffrence. The sealed beams had horrible light output compared to the BLS. I couldnt get them aimed to a point where they werent distracting to oncoming drivers and all around it was a waste. Couldnt be happier with the current kit but i have considered upgrading to a diffrent style projector later on when money permits

Quick Reply: HID t/a lights question