Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How long did it take you to paint your engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Top 25? I don't know man, that's a pretty big call. I'd bet there are more than 25 people who have their entire engine bay, firewall and all painted and cleared at minimum.

it IS the entire bay as well as every other part you can see. firewall.....all of it. Yeah there are some nice ones. I will have my photographer take some pics here in a few months once I get it cleaned up and in some good lighting. Yeah maybe not top 25 overall, but as good as most 4th Gen Ws6's id say. The black bays always look sexier anyways

I found a ZR1 style silver and black ws6 emblem that will be making its way in there somewhere from emblem pros. Its a badass piece.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
it IS the entire bay as well as every other part you can see. firewall.....all of it. Yeah there are some nice ones. I will have my photographer take some pics here in a few months once I get it cleaned up and in some good lighting. Yeah maybe not top 25 overall, but as good as most 4th Gen Ws6's id say. The black bays always look sexier anyways

I found a ZR1 style silver and black ws6 emblem that will be making its way in there somewhere from emblem pros. Its a badass piece.
Oooh I thought I had read you said you weren't bothering with the firewall for some reason.

Black bays are predisposed to look better, it's bullshit
Old 03-17-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

No the firewall is done as well. The car was actually towed to a local Toyota dealer ship and taped up and put into an actual paint booth. He is there body guy and like I said he gave me a real great deal, and did it right. I lost my good camera, so all I had was my laptop webcam. This pic does it no justice, but i am having some Emailed to me that I will post when I can. I saw it, and my jaw dropped. Best thing I have done to the car since I blew it up. haha

Old 03-18-2013, 12:33 AM
Captain Double Post

Good move man,looks great
Old 03-18-2013, 01:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id love to do this but I'm no welder or body man.The HVAC keeps me from attempting it with no motor in with no plans to ever pull the motor. Som looks bad without clear.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks pretty good
Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

It turned out great. I need to pull the little nose piece off above the intercooler and sand it by hand, and go over it and spray the underside.

It has some bolting points behind the headlamps that make it a supreme bitch to get too. I also did the HVAC plate I just do not have it installed yet.

Id say its 99% better than it was. Really wish I had some good before pics for comparison.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

It will be badass . Great idea Joey , Really can't wait for the pics when it's done !
Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

looks great! but I hope you're not planning to leave those front 2-3 support pieces the faded black that they are? I'd also suggest/recommend painting the windshield wiper black. and pull of the black plastic windshield wiper cowl pieces to respray them black.

nitpicking i know, but the more things you do to make it look better, the more the little things start to stand out
Old 03-21-2013, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

no im getting those last few pieces. wouldnt make sense not too. the windshield wipers and motor ect is all being left off anyways, but i never thought about painting the plastic cowl piece. hmmm. guess i now have a reason to use that leftover adhesion promoter haha.

I hate that I need to pull this intercooler back off, but I was planning on sanding and painting the methanol tank so it would not poke out like a sore thumb.

I will be looking to stand up the radiator a few months from now as well to free up some more room once I find out exactly where I want certain things mounted.

thank for the tips and compliments.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:09 AM
FormerVendor

not an f-body, but it took me & a friend a day to do my firewall in my truck.

another day to spray the fenders, but many hours modifying them.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

love the blue. bet it really shines in person. f body or not it took effort, and it looks great. thanks for sharing.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
looks great! but I hope you're not planning to leave those front 2-3 support pieces the faded black that they are? I'd also suggest/recommend painting the windshield wiper black. and pull of the black plastic windshield wiper cowl pieces to respray them black.

nitpicking i know, but the more things you do to make it look better, the more the little things start to stand out

Pulled the FMIC off and pulled the hood stops and support piece out. Found some excellent paint from Krylon that is super bond for plastics. You can spray on heavy and it wont run and it dries super fast. great for the application. Used that on the Methanol Tank from Alkycontrol. Some have said you wont be able to see your fluid level and if the meth runs out the car could blah blah blah..... my comeback is if your not refilling your meth or checking it at least once a week or more then you shouldnt even have it. I have gallons of it on tap sitting in my room. lol

But While all that was off I got the front support pieces you pointed out.

I also ordered a Full Stainless Engine Acessory Bolt Kit from ARP--12 PT and its going to be a real nice addition to the engine Id say.

I should have some more pics in the next month or so. I cant wait to start working on the wiring but for now I have just been pulling weight

did 20+ lbs yesterday about to go do 20-30 more. Thats on top of the HVAC and all the EGR/Air and A/C condensor system already removed.

still need to at least get the front sway out of the way

swap the seats for lightweight cobras

Skinnies

Install my K member and bumper supports.

so much to do, so little time.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

among other things I got the light covers cleaned and painted and got the lenses looking clear again. painted everything I could get my hands on. it looks great.

Quick Reply: How long did it take you to paint your engine bay?