Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

In the middle of removing side molding, need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the middle of removing side molding, need help

I just pulled off the first piece of side molding on the passenger side. It pulled off pretty easily leaving minimal glue behind. I can't seem to get the last bit off. I've tried goo gone and that hasn't worked. Is this in fact glue that I need to just work more, or is it clear coat and I need to wetsand it? It is raised slightly when i run my finger across it

The paint under the molding seems to match the body fairly well.

Help appreciated
Attached Thumbnails In the middle of removing side molding, need help-imag0455.jpg  
Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had the same thing and ended having to do a light wet sand to get it off, it was actually embedded in the paint. Even now its still kind of there.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Zerokube
i had the same thing and ended having to do a light wet sand to get it off, it was actually embedded in the paint. Even now its still kind of there.
Pulled off the rest of the molding, its only that one spot.

What grit is recommended?
Old 02-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Myabe you can try to use a clay bar and or a cleaner wax to get it off? Mine came off easily and I was able to get off all the tape just using my thumb to roll across it.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigken
Myabe you can try to use a clay bar and or a cleaner wax to get it off? Mine came off easily and I was able to get off all the tape just using my thumb to roll across it.
The rest came off with a damp rag... I think its clear coat, nothing is taking it off. Can I wet sand it?
Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

id try some a hair dryer and your finger nail. then a claybar . if that doesnt do it , then some scratch x on a mf towel and buff it clean .
Old 02-12-2013, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
id try some a hair dryer and your finger nail. then a claybar . if that doesnt do it , then some scratch x on a mf towel and buff it clean .
Ive been using a heat gun, finger nail and then wd-40. All did nothing. When I use a clay bar, I need lubricant correct?

Also is the scratch x a polisher/buffer? Or a scratch remover, how aggressive is it, how careful should I be?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

odds are it's clearcoat, I ran into a similiar situation on mine http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...elete-Write-up one side was perfect after using Goof-Off but the other side had what looks like yours, I never bothered to fix it as the clay bar did NOTHING, you will most likely need to wetsand and buff it to get rid of it.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
odds are it's clearcoat, I ran into a similiar situation on mine http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...elete-Write-up one side was perfect after using Goof-Off but the other side had what looks like yours, I never bothered to fix it as the clay bar did NOTHING, you will most likely need to wetsand and buff it to get rid of it.
I figured there isn't much else I could do as far as goof off, clay bar etc, I'm pretty sure I'm limited to wet sanding. What grit would sand down the clear coat lip w/o eating into the paint? I tried 1500 for a minute but am hesitant due to not wanting to screw up my paint job. If it's going to be a PITA, I'll leave it as is, it's hard to see if I don't point it out.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

definitely nothing heavier then 1500, would probably go more like 2000 or 3000, just go lightly and plenty of water. all you wanna do is knock down the "ridge" so I would use a block to hold the sand paper. then you'll need to buff it out good.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Clay bar and spray detailed for lube and scratch x just do it by hand
Old 02-12-2013, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
definitely nothing heavier then 1500, would probably go more like 2000 or 3000, just go lightly and plenty of water. all you wanna do is knock down the "ridge" so I would use a block to hold the sand paper. then you'll need to buff it out good.
Can i buff it by hand or do I need a PC? Im going to wash the whole car and wax it sometime within the next week or so, anything specific recommended for waxing/buffing?

ramairetransam, do you think the scratch x has a shot to fix the lip?

Quick Reply: In the middle of removing side molding, need help