Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Time for new car wash supplies. Suggestions please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry about the bad quality of pictures. I will try to take more.

The stains are in the rim and I am pretty sure I can't even feel them when I run my finger or nail along the rim.

I'm thinking I will spray them down with Sonax and see what happens. If the stains aren't out, i'll 0000 steel wool them, spray again, see what happens. If that doesn't get it all out, i'll use a high quality polish and buffing ball and go to town on the rims. These actually look great from 5-10 feet away already but I really want them as close to perfect as possible. Rims are expensive and I love these rims on my car! My old calipers had some sticky pins and I think that they were causing a lot of brake dust to bake into my rims Now I have all new pads rotors and calipers and I am barely seeing any dust. For what it's worth.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I can't tell by the pics, they are too dark. The way to tell if they are polished or not is take metal polish on a rag and do a test spot. If your rag turns black they are polished. If not they are cleared/chrome.

From what I can see in the pic looks pretty bad, but I can't tell if its just brake dust or actual corrosion.
What brownish/rustish colored stuff in the pics is actual corrosion or tarnishing, not brake dust. While there may be some brake dust, that stuff around the valvestem is staining/discoloring rather than brake dust.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 901 Likes on 642 Posts

Before you jump right into the steel wool try claying them first. Also try a microfiber towel instead of steel wool first. If it is chrome, and if its cheap chrome there's a good chance steel wool will marr the hell out of them. Always start with the least aggressive approach first.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Before you jump right into the steel wool try claying them first. Also try a microfiber towel instead of steel wool first. If it is chrome, and if its cheap chrome there's a good chance steel wool will marr the hell out of them. Always start with the least aggressive approach first.
Very good point
Old 03-17-2013, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 901 Likes on 642 Posts

I have corrected/restored about a dozen polished aluminum wheels using 0000 steel wool and several sets of stainless steel exhaust tips. I have no experience w/ chrome other than a MF towel and chrome polish/Adam's #2 metal polish.

Unfortunately when chrome goes south there's not much you can do about it. For example the factory wheels on my Firehawk are going to **** and there's not much I can do about it. I have looked into having the chrome removed and polishing them but I think I'm going to find a few painted wheels and strip them and then polish them.

Keep us updated on things.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Launching!

I will keep you guys updated on the rims! They will have to hold off a month or so til I get the money for the wheel cleaner and polish.

I just ordered Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss, Collinite 845 Wax, and a pair of Grit Guards.

Is there anything I should/could do in between the wash with CG Citrus and Collinite 845 to make it shine even better?

I read all the reviews on the Collinite and i'm itching to use it!!!

Quick Reply: Time for new car wash supplies. Suggestions please?