Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

tail light idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there would still need to be a spot for the reverse lights. Looks sick though. I can already hear the mopar boys hating
Old 12-18-2013, 09:25 PM
jig
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ipaq3115
My thought is to mold a diffuser for the perimeter light and have it filled with LEDs. Then do three LED grids, one for each taillight side and one for the center section. That way the sides could be programmed for some really cool turning/braking animations... and text . Would mean the same thing for the center, could do a ford logo exploding instead of the bird, whatever you want. How good that would look would depend on how many LEDs you could squish in there.
do you feel like being the first to attempt it?? i wanna see it done first and know costs and everything before i attempt it

[/QUOTE] I'm going to Photoshop another idea tonight, for the hell of it.[/QUOTE]

put it up when you make it!!
Old 12-19-2013, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
This gets my vote. Although as far as manufacturing goes I could easily see the consumer paying over $1000 for a piece like that. Problem is the manufacturers feel that no consumers would pay that kind of money for it. I'm going to Photoshop another idea tonight, for the hell of it.
Given the ridiculous amount of money people spend on other stuff (like wheels) I wouldn't be surprised if you could sell quite a few for that price. The question will be, can it be produced in small quantities for less than $1000?

I'm eager to see what you can mock up, my design skills are seriously lacking... haha

Originally Posted by jig
do you feel like being the first to attempt it?? i wanna see it done first and know costs and everything before i attempt it
One of these days I'm going to try it. It's not going to be for awhile though since it's probably going to be expensive and time consuming to get right.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

If some one is down to make the LED boards I can make the flush taillight piece. Or I like the idea of keeping the honey comb and them only coming on when you brake or sequential turn signals.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98blackbirdta
If some one is down to make the LED boards I can make the flush taillight piece. Or I like the idea of keeping the honey comb and them only coming on when you brake or sequential turn signals.
Unfortunately I don't have the time (much less funds) to build LED boards at the moment. I did look around a little bit though and I found these boards. They aren't exactly cheap but they are just about the right size to fit in a taillight assembly. I don't know what kind of brightness is required for backup lights but these will go white, and just about any other color for that matter. By my rough guesstimation, two of these side by side should be able to do a fairly good representation of a firebird logo and of course any kind of turn animation you can imagine.

If you wanted to keep the honeycomb pattern you could cut up a strip like this one and put a single LED in each honeycomb shaped hole. That would let you still do things like sequential turn signals and different colors.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ipaq3115
Unfortunately I don't have the time (much less funds) to build LED boards at the moment. I did look around a little bit though and I found these boards. They aren't exactly cheap but they are just about the right size to fit in a taillight assembly. I don't know what kind of brightness is required for backup lights but these will go white, and just about any other color for that matter. By my rough guesstimation, two of these side by side should be able to do a fairly good representation of a firebird logo and of course any kind of turn animation you can imagine.

If you wanted to keep the honeycomb pattern you could cut up a strip like this one and put a single LED in each honeycomb shaped hole. That would let you still do things like sequential turn signals and different colors.
eBay/AliExpress is a much cheaper site for sourcing LED boards and LED stuff in general. I haven't had any time to work on a concept design but I'll try to get to it when I can.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:27 AM
TECH Regular

I'll get a extra pair box lt1 twilights after the holidays and work on it. I have some ideas. If anyone has any taillights for cheap let me know
Old 02-24-2015, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default maybe

new school with a flair of oldschool?like, just the surrounding ring and the lines show up when the brake is hit? my shop skills are so bad i use paint, but i did pick up some 94 v6 tails id like to mod, might use EL wire, great idea btw guys....cough cough, sorry all the dust i wiped off this got in my lungs
Attached Thumbnails tail light idea-chargertails-idea.jpg  
Old 02-24-2015, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rimfire27
new school with a flair of oldschool?like, just the surrounding ring and the lines show up when the brake is hit? my shop skills are so bad i use paint, but i did pick up some 94 v6 tails id like to mod, might use EL wire, great idea btw guys....cough cough, sorry all the dust i wiped off this got in my lungs
That's pretty sweet
Old 02-25-2015, 10:47 AM
Teching In

These are all super incredible.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

That looks awesome! I hadn't thought of using EL wire, I've never actually played with it, do you think it would get bright enough for tail lights? It would definitely be easier to setup and you wouldn't have to do anything to diffuse it.

Personally I think I'd want to stick with some sort of diffused LED setup. That way you can animate things like turn signals, and timely messages to the drivers behind you
Old 03-03-2015, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I was just thinking about a similar idea last month but haven't gotten around to Photoshopping it. I was about to a couple weeks ago, since it seems like an easy way to do it. It'd be close to this idea, but change the circles to lines. Thread/post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l#post18653521
Old 03-03-2015, 04:27 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I was just thinking about a similar idea last month but haven't gotten around to Photoshopping it. I was about to a couple weeks ago, since it seems like an easy way to do it. It'd be close to this idea, but change the circles to lines. Thread/post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l#post18653521
Reminds me of an fd rx7
Old 03-11-2015, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default no EL wire

been doing some research, EL wire doesnt seem bright enough, probably do a hard core LED strip and diffuse them (thanks for the idea btw) , a little bit of sand paper goes along way,i think this can be done, soon as im done with the projector/demon eye project imma jump on these v6 tails i have
Old 03-14-2015, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Ipag/Xed good idea..It looks neat.. Sub'd.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

This would be great to see it go through

Quick Reply: tail light idea