Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Front Windshield tint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Front Windshield tint?

Anyone have any pictures of theirs? Opinions on how you like it would be great too. I'm going to do mines tomorrow and I'm on the fence between 35% to match my two side windows and hatch, or go lighter like 45%. Anybody have any thoughts on how dark this will look/how it will affect nighttime driving visibility?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if it's legal by your area to tint your front windshield. It does look nicer but not sure if it's safe if it's daily driven. But if you were to do it, match the other windows with the 35%.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is ILLEGAL almost everywhere, if you're doing it for looks then don't do it, to me it doesn't look right, if you want it for the heat reduction benefits of tint there are new types of tint that are almost clear but give you all the heat blocking properties.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the link in my sig. I originally did 35% on the windshield and sides, 5 on the hatch. But decided the sides weren't dark enough and had another later or 35 put on (~12.25%). That's what I have in the pics. Still not dark enough for me, going to pull the tint off the sides and switch to 5% when I get around to it.

As far as driving visibility, I have no complaints at all. Personally, the only issues I have with tint come at night when I need to see behind me to back up, and that has nothing to do with the front windows. Other than that, no concerns, and I drive a lot at night.

It is pretty much illegal everywhere. During the day, I drive with the windows down 90% of the time... with them rolled up, you can't see into the car through the windshield or the sides really, unless the car is facing the sun directly. Its very obviously tinted and just asking for a ticket. But with the windows down it's not nearly as noticeable.

One of the main benefits, outside of privacy and looks of course, is that it has helped cut down on the suns glare, which is great.

this is a good pic to get an idea of the windshield tint. Both cars are in the same light, both have the side windows rolled down, look how the visibility compares

http://www.flickr.com/photos/la-rue/8168795210/

Last edited by crimson_bird; 04-15-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
I don't know if it's legal by your area to tint your front windshield. It does look nicer but not sure if it's safe if it's daily driven. But if you were to do it, match the other windows with the 35%.
Yeah, I'm leaning more towards 35%. It is my DD and the tint is not really legal anywhere, but I'm not too worried about it. I can always take it off if it becomes a problem. Getting it done for a really good price

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
It is ILLEGAL almost everywhere, if you're doing it for looks then don't do it, to me it doesn't look right, if you want it for the heat reduction benefits of tint there are new types of tint that are almost clear but give you all the heat blocking properties.
Yeah, but I like the look and I'm also doing it for heat blocking, so I think I can get the best of both worlds here by going with some actual dark, noticeable tint.

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
Check the link in my sig. I originally did 35% on the windshield and sides, 5 on the hatch. But decided the sides weren't dark enough and had another later or 35 put on (~12.25%). That's what I have in the pics. Still not dark enough for me, going to pull the tint off the sides and switch to 5% when I get around to it.

As far as driving visibility, I have no complaints at all. Personally, the only issues I have with tint come at night when I need to see behind me to back up, and that has nothing to do with the front windows. Other than that, no concerns, and I drive a lot at night.

It is pretty much illegal everywhere. During the day, I drive with the windows down 90% of the time... with them rolled up, you can't see into the car through the windshield or the sides really, unless the car is facing the sun directly. Its very obviously tinted and just asking for a ticket. But with the windows down it's not nearly as noticeable.

One of the main benefits, outside of privacy and looks of course, is that it has helped cut down on the suns glare, which is great.

this is a good pic to get an idea of the windshield tint. Both cars are in the same light, both have the side windows rolled down, look how the visibility compares
I appreciate this post man, very helpful, your car looks amazing! Back when you had the 35% on the sides and shield, was it at least dark enough to the point where you had a hard time seeing through the car? Right now you can see straight through mines with the sides and hatch at 35%, but I'm wondering if this windshield tint will darken it up any.

Also, do you think 45% would be worth it?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm doing 50% on the windshield if I ever do it.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
Also, do you think 45% would be worth it?
personally, I do not think 45% would be worth it, at least, not combined with 35% everywhere else. But really it's a matter of preference. so it's something you just have to play with, try out a shade and see how you like it. if you want lighter or darker, swap it out! between the camaro and t/a I've tried plenty of different combos

Back when you had the 35% on the sides and shield, was it at least dark enough to the point where you had a hard time seeing through the car? Right now you can see straight through mines with the sides and hatch at 35%, but I'm wondering if this windshield tint will darken it up any.
yes, you'll have a harder time seeing through the car with 35% added to the front, but it is still on the lighter side as far as tint goes (just wasn't dark enough for ME). as a whole, all of the windows work together, so tinting the windshield will also make the sides seem darker as it helps cut down on the overall amount of light entering the car, making it harder to see inside. The windshield is a HUGE opening, so it lets a lot of light in. you'll see a considerable difference after getting that tinted.

another thing to consider is the roof. Got t-tops? are they tinted, do you use the shade covers for them? the t-tops let quite a bit of light in the car, and it makes a huge difference in how much you can see into the car when you do something to block all of that light. I never really cared to look out of the t-top glass, but I do like to pull them off all the time. Used the shades for a while but got tired of the hassle of dealing with them. My tops have now been painted black for several years now, so NO light gets through. I've been happy with this since I did it. I did the same thing with my old camaro too. I'd HIGHLY recommend plasti-dip for this particular job, as it is so easily removable. Before i sold the camaro I removed the paint from the tops...while doable, it wasn't quick and easy like it would've been had I used plasti-dip, but that stuff wasn't really known of at the time I did mine (in the automotive world)

of course, you could always tint the t-tops as well, which many do. I think I'll eventually do that, and go with like a double 5%. that way i'll get back the option to look out of them should I choose to. Only reason I didn't in the first place was because it was a really spur of the moment thing I felt like trying out, and ended up liking.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do 35. My bro has 35 on his car but he is in an import and get hassled alot but none recently. At night, not bad seeing out the front at all and it looks so much nicer from the outside.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 35 on my dd truck (15 on the sides and rear). It hasn't hurt visibility at all, even at night. I really can't tell it's even there unless I roll down the side windows. It's illegal but around here cops usually won't mess with you about it.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Guitar
I'm doing 50% on the windshield if I ever do it.
Thought about going with something lighter like this, but I have a feeling I won't be happy with it.

personally, I do not think 45% would be worth it, at least, not combined with 35% everywhere else. But really it's a matter of preference. so it's something you just have to play with, try out a shade and see how you like it. if you want lighter or darker, swap it out! between the camaro and t/a I've tried plenty of different combos

yes, you'll have a harder time seeing through the car with 35% added to the front, but it is still on the lighter side as far as tint goes (just wasn't dark enough for ME). as a whole, all of the windows work together, so tinting the windshield will also make the sides seem darker as it helps cut down on the overall amount of light entering the car, making it harder to see inside. The windshield is a HUGE opening, so it lets a lot of light in. you'll see a considerable difference after getting that tinted.

another thing to consider is the roof. Got t-tops? are they tinted, do you use the shade covers for them? the t-tops let quite a bit of light in the car, and it makes a huge difference in how much you can see into the car when you do something to block all of that light. I never really cared to look out of the t-top glass, but I do like to pull them off all the time. Used the shades for a while but got tired of the hassle of dealing with them. My tops have now been painted black for several years now, so NO light gets through. I've been happy with this since I did it. I did the same thing with my old camaro too. I'd HIGHLY recommend plasti-dip for this particular job, as it is so easily removable. Before i sold the camaro I removed the paint from the tops...while doable, it wasn't quick and easy like it would've been had I used plasti-dip, but that stuff wasn't really known of at the time I did mine (in the automotive world)

of course, you could always tint the t-tops as well, which many do. I think I'll eventually do that, and go with like a double 5%. that way i'll get back the option to look out of them should I choose to. Only reason I didn't in the first place was because it was a really spur of the moment thing I felt like trying out, and ended up liking.
Good points here, and yeah I have T-Top shades that I keep in place 99% of the time, they help with keeping the car cool/darker. But yeah, I think you've convinced me to give 35% a shot, if it's too dark or I get hassled by cops I'll just remove it and go lighter, no big deal.

Originally Posted by 73CamaroLT
Do 35. My bro has 35 on his car but he is in an import and get hassled alot but none recently. At night, not bad seeing out the front at all and it looks so much nicer from the outside.
I know, I love the look you get with the sheild tint, it's a big part of why I'm doing it. Only thing I'm really worried about is the police, I'm a young guy with a performance car, I really don't need any police attention.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

For what it's worth here are some pictures I took last week of my car, In this setup ALL I have is 35% GILA HEAT SHIELD on the doors and the stock "tint" of the T-tops (I had the static cling 5% tint on the t-tops last summer and plan to get proper tint on the T-tops in the next few weeks.

When I had the 5% in the t-tops it was pretty dark at night, I also need to find the time to get the back glass done before summer rolls around, with the back glass and a collapsible sun shield in the windshield when it's parked it will be dark enough for me and not give the cops another reason to harass me, hell I've been pulled over like 3 times in the last year I've owned this car and not done a damn thing wrong any of those times, It's worse then when I had my Hondas.
Attached Thumbnails Front Windshield tint?-img_20130408_185316_589.jpg   Front Windshield tint?-img_20130408_185345_107.jpg   Front Windshield tint?-img_20130408_185416_839.jpg   Front Windshield tint?-img_20130408_185734_008.jpg  
Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Personally I've had good luck, in a sense, when it comes to the visually illegal things (tint and no front plate). both have gotten me out of speeding and carpool tickets on several occasions, with the officers letting me off with the minor, correctable offense. That's a $25 fix-it ticket compared to a $300+ ticket that can go on your record..
Old 04-15-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
For what it's worth here are some pictures I took last week of my car, In this setup ALL I have is 35% GILA HEAT SHIELD on the doors and the stock "tint" of the T-tops (I had the static cling 5% tint on the t-tops last summer and plan to get proper tint on the T-tops in the next few weeks.

When I had the 5% in the t-tops it was pretty dark at night, I also need to find the time to get the back glass done before summer rolls around, with the back glass and a collapsible sun shield in the windshield when it's parked it will be dark enough for me and not give the cops another reason to harass me, hell I've been pulled over like 3 times in the last year I've owned this car and not done a damn thing wrong any of those times, It's worse then when I had my Hondas.
I find that strange, cops must be kind of aggressive in your area. Your tint doesn't look incredibly dark in the pics.

Personally I've had good luck, in a sense, when it comes to the visually illegal things (tint and no front plate). both have gotten me out of speeding and carpool tickets on several occasions, with the officers letting me off with the minor, correctable offense. That's a $25 fix-it ticket compared to a $300+ ticket that can go on your record..
Yeah, my front plate is long gone as well, never been stopped for anything in this car. Sure hope this continues with the shield tint.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

This may sound crazy but I want to do 50% all the way around, by chance does anyone have pictures??? Low percent tint looks super clean imo.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

I find that strange, cops must be kind of aggressive in your area. Your tint doesn't look incredibly dark in the pics.

Yeah, my front plate is long gone as well, never been stopped for anything in this car. Sure hope this continues with the shield tint.
most of these where before I did the tint and none of them on this car have been about the tint (although I was given trouble years back over the tint I had on my Honda because it metered like 3% under legal, the cop asked me where I had it done and I told him I had it done at the local custom shop and he just automatically assumed I told them to do it illegally dark, because apparently they are known to do that, but they where the ONLY place in town to get tint done), guess thats what I get for DD my car when i get off work around 10-12 PM.

It's all BS they make up that I can't prove I didn't just so they can run my license, like this one time I drove past 2 city cops sitting in a parking lot talking, by the next red light I had one of them behind me, he proceeded to follow me for like 3-4 miles and just before I get out of the city limits pulls me over claiming I swerved over the center line in this slight curve in the road (in a 40 MPH zone) a quarter mile back from when he flipped on the blue lights, I said I didn't he claims I did but lets be go after failing to convince me I did, It's there go to line around here.

I know a handful of cops around here and they don't harass me but we get a fairly high turn over on the other half the force and all the new guys are "trigger happy" and make **** up, only good thing is KARMA, within 6 months of said cop pulling me over he is no longer on the force, so I guess they must get harassment complaints against them.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 5% all the way around on my Firebird 3.8L.

I can't see **** out of my windows at night in the woods. In the city though, I can see fine.

During the day, you can only see in if the sun is shining through the windshield. I usually throw a sun visor up when I park it and the windows are pitch black.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Tint on the windshield is definitely asking for a ticket...hopefully everything else on your car is legal lol.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought about going with something lighter like this, but I have a feeling I won't be happy with it.
We have tint laws and it is illegal to tint the windshield. 50% will block some stuff but be unnoticeable to the normal eye (from what I'm told).
Old 04-16-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have 50 on the windshield 15 on the rest

Old 04-16-2013, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

35% is great on the w/s. Dont really need sunglasses!

That is with 35% on the rest. Going to 20% soon.
Attached Thumbnails Front Windshield tint?-daveta1.jpg  

Quick Reply: Front Windshield tint?