Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Blacked out taillights

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blacked out taillights

I blacked out my taillights the other day, and because it's technically illegal almost everywhere, I was wondering if you guys have had any problems with it? The light still shines through pretty well, I'd imagine the only trouble I'd have is if a cop saw them and thought to himself "hmm those look cool better write him up" lol. Also, is there anything to do to make it not illegal? i.e. adding small reflectors somewhere?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

pretty sure the illegal part of it is based on the amount of light coming through, they have to be clearly visible from at least a certain, specific distance i believe (during the day is most important). So you could probably get through that with some good LED's... but i'm not too in-the-know with led stuff, so hopefully someone else will chime in there.

it's illegal for a reason, that's one of those things that can fairly easy cause an accident if the people driving behind you can't see your lights well enough to have any clue as to what you plan to do ahead, whether that be turning, breaking, or reversing. Just keep in mind tinted lights is more of a problem during the day than at night when they're easier to see. its the daytime when they really become a problem if you don't have the proper lighting needs.

The problem at night, is the less visible reflectors.. which really would only be a problem when the car is parked, with no lights on.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What did you use? VHT Nightshade? That's what I used and the brake lights still shine through just as if they weren't blacked out.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
What did you use? VHT Nightshade? That's what I used and the brake lights still shine through just as if they weren't blacked out.
Yes I used VHT Nightshade, although its pretty thick. The turn signals/reverse lights have no problem but the red lights that come on while the low beams are on are only slightly visible during the day.

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
pretty sure the illegal part of it is based on the amount of light coming through, they have to be clearly visible from at least a certain, specific distance i believe (during the day is most important). So you could probably get through that with some good LED's... but i'm not too in-the-know with led stuff, so hopefully someone else will chime in there.

it's illegal for a reason, that's one of those things that can fairly easy cause an accident if the people driving behind you can't see your lights well enough to have any clue as to what you plan to do ahead, whether that be turning, breaking, or reversing. Just keep in mind tinted lights is more of a problem during the day than at night when they're easier to see. its the daytime when they really become a problem if you don't have the proper lighting needs.

The problem at night, is the less visible reflectors.. which really would only be a problem when the car is parked, with no lights on.
There is still the untouched 3rd brake light, and the other lights shine through when hitting the brake. I'm mostly worried about if my low beams are on during the day (because of rain etc) and the reflectors. Will putting LED bulb's in help this problem? and should I add a couple aftermarket reflectors in a place that doesn't look too horrid? Thanks for the help guys
Old 04-17-2013, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's going to depend on your local laws and how the police enforces them. I've had blackouts on my car's tails for 14 years, and have been pulled over and ticketed more times than I'll admit to......but never one word about my tail lights.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Same here I have blacked out tails but never had a cop say anything about them, actually was walking out of Walmart and there was a cop parked a few spaces from me getting out of his car, I asked him to take a look at them just to see what his opinion on them was, the light is visible through them day and night, well this was about 3 in the afternoon and he said he didn't see any problem with the ligght output on them, but I'm sure all it would take is getting pulled over by that one douchebag cop with something to prove and I'd get a ticket
Old 04-17-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll add this. When I had my car inspected this past year, they would not pass it due to the VHT Nightshade being on my tail lights. I went home, rubbed the **** off with some gassoline, took it back in, they passed it and re-applied the VHT that same night. The guy was cool and suggested I head down to the Highway Patrol headquarters (right down the road) and see if they were ok with it and if they were, to have them write something on my ticket, but I didn't bother with it.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And I'll add a big hell yea for living in a non inspection state lol, but at least the guy was cool about it, I've lived in sc most of my life but I used to work at a dealership in nc as an inspector and not gonna lie a lot of those guys are ********
Old 04-17-2013, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

I actually just had to pay a ticket for an equipment violation(taillights tinted). That was the first ticket I recieved and iv been pulled over a few times and they never said anything about them. My tag is even tinted and they haven't said a word. I think it all depends on the cop
Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason I've never tinted my tails is I know as soon as I do some moron is going to rear end me and end up claiming it's my fault because he couldn't see my lights. looks cool, but not worth the hassle IMO.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

crappy pics but parking lights

brake lights

And off

Ive never been stopped for the lights. But i have had people tell me they can't see my brake lights before. But i can clearly see them reflect off things behind me??? Mine is also VHT
Old 04-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Teching In

I guess my only question is what are the brightest LED bulbs I can get to put in? I'd much rather just take this precaution, even if it shouldn't be a problem. So anyone know what are the best LED bulbs I can get to replace the whole back set up?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is why I don't black mine out. I just tinted them a bit to make them darker. It also makes no perceptible difference in brightness.

LILWS6 post a pic of yours in daylight with the brakes on. That's the deciding factor. At night you can almost always see the lights. As it is in the middle shot with the brakes on that 3rd light looks as bright as the main brakes, which means to me that the brakes are definitely not near as bright as they were.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
just thinking about this logically, that's pretty much impossible.. there's no way you add a tint to lights and get the same amount of light making it through.

Originally Posted by LILWS6
crappy pics but parking lights

Ive never been stopped for the lights. But i have had people tell me they can't see my brake lights before. But i can clearly see them reflect off things behind me???
I assume these times you've seen your lights reflect off things behind you, this was at night/ in the dark? like I said before, visibility is more of a problem during the day. the pics you posted showing the lights, were taken at night. do the same during the day and see how those pics turn out... now walk 50 feet away your car and take the pics from there, and see how well you can see your brake lights and turn signals..
Old 04-17-2013, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My brother has been pulled over a couple times because of his blacked out taillights. It's not really a matter of how much light shines through, it's if the cop wants to be a dick about it.

I had covers on mine for a while until I almost got rear ended. I wasn't sure if he was just an idiot or because of the covers, but I took them off that day.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did light coats and haven't had any issues. I also usually drive with my parking lights on so that way its less likely to be spotted by cops
Old 04-18-2013, 05:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have actually been wanting to do led bulbs for all lights in my taillights,(turn signals, brakes, and reverse lights) how hard is that to accomplish? Anyone know of a good write up on replacing all those bulbs with leds? Night light output is fine but like everyone said its the daytime that could cause the problem so I'd like to fix the problem before it actually becomes a problem lol
Old 04-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
I have actually been wanting to do led bulbs for all lights in my taillights,(turn signals, brakes, and reverse lights) how hard is that to accomplish? Anyone know of a good write up on replacing all those bulbs with leds? Night light output is fine but like everyone said its the daytime that could cause the problem so I'd like to fix the problem before it actually becomes a problem lol
my thoughts exactly, let me know if you find anything out
Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Vleds.com has the brightest bulbs available. You'll want to get a 7+ Watt 3157 bulb. PM for more information. I did a complete LED swap on my old Camaro and I know that one MUST get the proper LEDs for the brake lights. If they are not high wattage then you are wasting your time and endangering others.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Once i get the car out of storage i'll have to get some pics. But both times ive had people tell me my brake lights were out were at night. Not once was it day light. I'm sure they are probably harder to see and ive since tinted the third brake light as well. But yes you can clearly see the third brake lights much brighter than the tinted ones. I like the look alot on my car so until i get talked to about it i'll leave it on.

Quick Reply: Blacked out taillights