Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headlight restoration and sealant

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight restoration and sealant

I've did a lot of searching on this and I think I got the wet sanding part down. Gonna start with 800 grit and work my way to 2000 grit. My question is what polish and sealant to use. I was thinking about getting the Plast-x or some turtle wax plastic polish and then seal em with blue magic headlight sealant but I've read the only true way to seal em and keep them from reyelowwing is to clear coat em. So I was wondering whats the best clear or sealant to use and will the clear stick to the lenses if I polish the fine scratches out before the clear. Thanks in advice for the help
Old 04-26-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I didn't bother with a sealant. I just clean them with plastic polish once a month or so and the yellowing never gets bad and comes off easy.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Double-aught_Z/28
Personally I didn't bother with a sealant. I just clean them with plastic polish once a month or so and the yellowing never gets bad and comes off easy.
What polish do you use?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Plast-X the other day on mine to clean them up for the first time this year. Last year I used a Meguiars headlight kid, and it did a decent job at getting rid of some of the yellowing but certainly nowhere near the job a wetsand could do. So a week ago I used Plast-X on my DA polisher using an orange pad and went at them as hard as I could, and then applied some Meguiars NXT 2.0 and they look pretty good. The lenses appear have some defects both inside the headlight housing and what appears to be in the lens itself, but from 15 feet away or more they look pretty good. I'm probably one of the only ones that would even know there's anything wrong anyways lol.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

when i did mine i used the sealer from a company called BG and it came out brand new looking. unless you want to mess with your headlights often to keep them clean then seal them.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EarlSS
What polish do you use?
I've used both the Meguire's Plastix and the Mothers plastic polish. Both work about the same.

Quick Reply: Headlight restoration and sealant