Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dash pad installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dash pad installation

Hey guys looking for tips on how to safely install a new dash pad on my 98 Z. I tried today but i was a little afraid to break it and I didnt have a spare set of hands which made it a little difficult. An tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 12:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have installed them a few times, when my stock one cracked and when I did the ebony dash conversion. In general I find the easiest way to do it is to remove the pillar trim on both sides, After that its just being patient and maneuvering it in to place. The pillar trim simply snap in to place with metal clips. The key to those is having each clip aligned to the slot if it's a hard top. If the slot and clips aren't perfectly aligned it won't fit right at all.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told to remove those metal clips at the front, as they really do not hold it in that much, and just cause it to break when it gets removed? I haven't tried it on mine yet.

Also, if you let it sit in the sun it helps. If it is cold it will break easier
Old 05-30-2013, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

i took off the pillar trim and just installed mine myself without any problems... i think removing them has more of a chance of breaking them
Old 05-30-2013, 08:12 AM
Launching!

I did remove the pillars yet no success lol. I will give it another try today thanks again.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The A Pillars are the only thing that needs to be removed. You just have to get out the metal tabs that are in the front of the pad
Old 05-30-2013, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

when i did mine........i installed it in the parking lot of the dealer.....took all of 2 seconds......just make SURE there are no old broken metal tabs in the slots....all of my old ones were in the slots and i was wondering why it did not go in....pulled out the old ones and presto bango.....good as new
Old 05-31-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have all of the old cap removed it should just pop in place with no issue. Some times you need to gently tap it in to fit flush. Other than pull the pillars out and remove the old cap I haven't had to remove anything else. Most annoying part is finding the angle to get the cap in. The metal clips I was talking about are those on the pillar trim, like your weather strips on the tops of the door, they have exact slots they fit in to. With interior stuff, if it isn't fitting right it's either some things blocking where it's suppose to go or it's not in the right position.

Quick Reply: Dash pad installation