Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Cleaning up an old engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cleaning up an old engine

I have the engine bellow which runs great, I'm going to pull it of the k member and onto a stand. I'm going to redo the suspension and have parts that need it powder coated.

That leaves this grimy motor. I'm probably going to replace the oil pan gasket, not sure where else it is leaking of if it is just 14 years of grime build up. What to clean it with while its on the stand. I was thinking of just laying down plastic and taking a bucket of soapy water to it. I can't really hose it down with the injectors, TB etc open..

Then there are the brackets and alternator which look pretty oxidized, anything I can do about them without going full polish (not going to happen)

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just cover up the alternator with a plastic sack and cap/cover the TB opening with something.

Then you can use some engine de-greaser. Follow the directions for whichever kind you get. I like the gel spray.

When it is time to rinse it off, just use water straight out of the house (no nozzle or pressure at all) and the grease/grime will just slide right off.

As far as the oxidation on a couple of the pieces, you can use a product called semi-chrome to polish and even the finish back out without going full polish. If some of your black abs/plastic pieces are discolored, you can use some liquid leather shoe dye in black (not black shoe polish).

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Cleaning up an old engine