Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Do these HIDs even work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Do these HIDs even work?

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...%252d1997.html

Found this interesting... I wonder how obnoxious they are in our cars... Any one have it?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will they work, yes. Will they throw glare everywhere, absolutely.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

I figured. can't wait to install yours... They look sexy as hell!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, they just sell things that don't work out of the box lol! Sorry couldn't help it. They will work fine if properly installed.

In my opinion, a lot of people are overdramatic on how much glare these produce on f-bodies. Yes, they do produce glare and one should get projectors to do a proper set-up, BUT one thing people neglect to think about is how close to the ground these cars ride. My 2001 Camaro and some of my buddies' 4th gen f-bodies had HIDs in their stock halogen housings, and in a two year period I got flashed maybe once. I drove by some of my friends head-on and NONE of them were obnoxious or as blinding as many claim.

It's the lifted trucks and SUVs (and even some at stock height) with HIDs in halogen housings that really blind people and are quite annoying. Actually even lifted truck with projectors and a proper set-up are still annoying as f$#k!

If you can't afford projectors at the moment, get some LMC housings (just do an advanced search for LMC housings and there are many threads on this subject) WITH the bulb shield and you will be fine, and so will other drivers on the road!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

I noticed HID kits in other cars (not many fbodies around me) and they always blind me and are just obnoxious. They probably arn't aimed right, and are way too strong. I was always told the ebay "HID" kits were bad news bears
Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

DDMtuning.com slim ballasts are the **** and 4500K-6000K color temp is best IMO. Also, get 35 watt instead of 55 watt. 35 watt is plenty of power and you won't have to worry about anything melting. You will also want to get a relay harness for each HID light set-up.

And I also had a bad experience with ebay kits. Random ticking noises, bulbs going out, and ballast failures. And that was with a relay harness installed.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
No, they just sell things that don't work out of the box lol! Sorry couldn't help it. They will work fine if properly installed.

In my opinion, a lot of people are overdramatic on how much glare these produce on f-bodies. Yes, they do produce glare and one should get projectors to do a proper set-up, BUT one thing people neglect to think about is how close to the ground these cars ride. My 2001 Camaro and some of my buddies' 4th gen f-bodies had HIDs in their stock halogen housings, and in a two year period I got flashed maybe once. I drove by some of my friends head-on and NONE of them were obnoxious or as blinding as many claim.

It's the lifted trucks and SUVs (and even some at stock height) with HIDs in halogen housings that really blind people and are quite annoying. Actually even lifted truck with projectors and a proper set-up are still annoying as f$#k!

If you can't afford projectors at the moment, get some LMC housings (just do an advanced search for LMC housings and there are many threads on this subject) WITH the bulb shield and you will be fine, and so will other drivers on the road!
Getting flashed by oncoming drivers shouldn't be the only basis on whether the HIDs in reflector style housings are causing glare. Aiming the lights are crucial whether its a HID in a reflector or projector housing.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

^^ That is true, but like I said, I also drove by many of my friends head-on without getting blinded. I honestly don't remember if I aimed mine down, but I know at least one or two of them did just slightly. The point I am making is that they are not as bad as people make them out to be.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

I've run 4,300K, 75-watt HIDs (yes, the high-power ones with the huge, gnarly ballasts) in my Sonar projector headlights for over a year, and I've never been flashed by anyone. When I installed the kit, I carefully aimed my headlights down in such a way that they project the light onto the road in front of me, not into the eyes of on-coming drivers. To gauge the intensity of the light from the perspective of other drivers, I did an extensive front-of-vehicle walk around to help me see how low to tilt my lights. Then, I ran many real-world simulations by driving toward and past the front of my car in other vehicles.

My results are considerate, non-blinding, yet help me see really well.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Glad I spent the $$ and got the BLS kit... I don't blind people AND I can see perfect at night
Old 08-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

I don't see how HID's in a reflector (Halogen) housing wouldn't be illegal. It's illegal in most places to put HID's in regular housings due to the obnoxious (and blinding) light output.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28RS
I've run 4,300K, 75-watt HIDs (yes, the high-power ones with the huge, gnarly ballasts) in my Sonar projector headlights for over a year, and I've never been flashed by anyone. When I installed the kit, I carefully aimed my headlights down in such a way that they project the light onto the road in front of me, not into the eyes of on-coming drivers. To gauge the intensity of the light from the perspective of other drivers, I did an extensive front-of-vehicle walk around to help me see how low to tilt my lights. Then, I ran many real-world simulations by driving toward and past the front of my car in other vehicles.

My results are considerate, non-blinding, yet help me see really well.
That's because they are projectors (and fairly decent at that) so they won't cause glare Try doing those HIDs in stock housings however and you'll make lots of enemies on the roads

Originally Posted by SOHCNightmare
I don't see how HID's in a reflector (Halogen) housing wouldn't be illegal. It's illegal in most places to put HID's in regular housings due to the obnoxious (and blinding) light output.
Like doing illegal stuff has stopped anyone here. You're right, it IS illegal. I've heard that it is actually technically illegal to put HID in a car that didn't come with it from the factory, but that may vary by location. I've not really looked into it much, so I'll claim ignorance on that detail there

Anyway, putting HIDs in reflector housings is what I expect out of ricers and cheapskates.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Will they work, yes. Will they throw glare everywhere, absolutely.
this ^.

do it right and get a proper halogen for your housing. you will only blind everyone else.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Overdramatic. I agree with doing things right, but these cars are so low to the ground that it will hardly be blinding EVERYONE.. Little over-generalized
Old 08-09-2013, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Overdramatic. I agree with doing things right, but these cars are so low to the ground that it will hardly be blinding EVERYONE.. Little over-generalized
Maybe not literally everyone, but people who aren't in trucks or crossovers.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

So you are saying to get them and aim them slightly down to save other drivers? Doesn't that just move you back (slightly) towards less light output and kind of defeat the purpose?

With the newer and cheaper options for projectors, I just don't see why people don't wait a little longer and do the job right. Its not like the lights in these cars are undriveable and unsafe because of output. They just aren't optimal is the big deal with them.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

They suck to say the least, as far as the LT1 cars go. Huge upgrade with the BLS kit I got
Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an eBay kit of HID's in my stock headlight housing of my 95 Z28. I've also got HID's in my custom projectors I did in the fog lights of my 98 Formula.

Simply put, HID's are bright. Factory housing do not focus the light, and it does scatter everywhere. That being said, I usually don't get flashed too often driving at night in my Z. But the focus and the clarity is MUCH better through my fog projectors in my Formula.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is NOT overdramatic. look at a proper projector and then look at a HID in a halogen housing, no matter where you aim it, it WILL hurt your eyes. now imagine this driving in front of you or even behind you. believe me nothing but stupid is all you will think about.

if its about the "blue" or "purple" for that matter, then just get a colored halogen and call it a day. atleast it can actually be useful.

Originally Posted by CALL911
I've got an eBay kit of HID's in my stock headlight housing of my 95 Z28. I've also got HID's in my custom projectors I did in the fog lights of my 98 Formula.

Simply put, HID's are bright. Factory housing do not focus the light, and it does scatter everywhere. That being said, I usually don't get flashed too often driving at night in my Z. But the focus and the clarity is MUCH better through my fog projectors in my Formula.
you said it. they are bright, it scatters everywhere AND you do get flashed sometimes. as a matter of fact I myself would never flash anyone simply because that driver will do nothing about it. turning them off isnt the reason he put them there in the beginning.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

My problem is why do they only sell 10k? and Im not too familiar with the kelvin scale but 5k and 6k are white/buish white. So why are they saying 10k is white/bluish white? Went through 2 hid kits for my dads 00' DTS, first kit flickered alot and eventually a ballast broke, the second kit doesn't flicker but i have to keep flicking the high beams because one or even both lights don't like to come on at times. Its a real PITA for some bright lights. Id like them in the t/a though without spending a fortune, more importantly id like them to work 100% of the time.

Quick Reply: Do these HIDs even work?