Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!

Traded my Grand Am GT for this yesterday!
96 TA
Lt1/6 speed
TTops
Charcoal cloth interior

I need a rear bumper, ls1 tail lights or a drivers lt1, passenger lower ground effect, ls1 front clip, and a dash pad along with a few other odds and ends. I will use this as my build thread so if you have a spare part you think I need, let me know!
Attached Thumbnails I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!-image.jpg  
Old 06-18-2013, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should be a fun project
Old 06-18-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

I hope so! It's an all stock engine minus the K&N "CAI" and a Flowmaster exhaust so other than a spray bomb paint job and some interior trim that was sanded and painted, it's not that bad. Solid floors and trunk. Only major work on the body will be the pass quarter. Car was hit and the previous owner tried fixing it by hanging a used quarter over the old one!! So hopefully I can save the good quarter and do it right.

Reason I want the LS1 body conversion is I had a 99 t/a convertable and sold it and had huge regrets. I do prefer ttops over a drop top and this car came along so I have to replace the front bumper anyways so good opportunity to upgrade.

Started sanding the car tonight, get some of this spray bomb primer off and want to get the back end primed and sealed within a week or so then hunt for the ls1 front end and taillights.

Once it's painted the rest I can fixed up as I drive her. Wouldn't mind headers and a couple bolt ons but nothing crazy this time around!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Looks nice man
Old 06-19-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

For parts try Ecklers, Hawks, Or Classic Industries or the classifieds here. Sounds like a good project.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like Christmas came early this year. My interior needed some work since the previous owner painted a few parts and the seats and dash had seen better days.

My buddy Derrik brought me a truck load of parts including:
Charcoal cloth seats
Dash, dash bezel, and radio bezel
Center m6 console, factory shifter **** and boot
Few small trim pieces I needed

All I have left for my interior that I need is a top dash board. I may upgrade the shifter though...

Decided before installing the new seats and dash, I should pull out the carpet and give her a nice cleaning. She is a little dirty

Carpet is all cleaned. A few small wear marks but floor mats will cover that! Good enough for now!

Here is the next project before reinstalling the seats and console. The dash pad is cracked in several spots along with some cheesy painted parts. Should look a lot better once the new dash is in!
Attached Thumbnails I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!-image.jpg   I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!-image.jpg   I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!-image.jpg   I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!-image.jpg  
Old 06-20-2013, 04:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You did a good trade
Old 06-20-2013, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a set of ls1 tails I don't need anymore. Pm me if you still need them.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like a good project. Did you have a build thread on GAGT for your green Grand Am? Looks really familiar.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahh, GAGT, havnt been on there in forever.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tipnitty
Looks like a good project. Did you have a build thread on GAGT for your green Grand Am? Looks really familiar.
Yep that was me, finished the car and wanted something new to play with. She's a really solid car and plus now that other than the dashboard, the interior is pretty much done

Old dash out...the pad had several cracks in her. The new one is pretty nice. Does have one small hairline crack under the pass vent but its not too noticeable otherwise a mint dash. She will do for now until I can do the LS1 dash upgrade.

New dash in...also gained a new dash bezel to replace the silver painted one. (why people paint these idk??) also gained a center vent as the old one was missing one. Also combined two "ok" center consoles to make one good one. The aftermarket billet shifter **** was also replaced with a stock one as well.

Still need to find one of these or try to piece this together and wrap it in vinyl but a nice original one would be preferred.

New dash bezel next to the old one...Only thing however is the original has a cut out for the fog light switch

Still need a few things like the piece below...

Also looking for...
Passenger side ground effect
Taillights (sale pending)
Side marker lenses
Front and rear bumpers
Antenna and base
And ultimately the LS1 front end swap which I will do it I can find all the pieces before the rest of the bodywork is done. If not, I will drive with the LT1 nose for awhile and then just respray the front nose when I do get it.
Attached Thumbnails I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!-image.jpg   I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!-image.jpg   I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!-image.jpg   I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!-image.jpg   I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!-image.jpg  

Old 06-22-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

you gonna have it at the shootout this year?
Old 06-22-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shootout is the plan since its just cosmetics at this point. Wouldn't mind a few bolt ons however this is going to be a street car this time...however I could make a pass or two...

Finished my interior "restoration" for the moment. Still need the dash filler piece and I'm waiting on door panels but for the most part all done.

Also some of my plastic panels have deep scratches like on the kick panels, anyone have a good way to restore this to look new? I know u can sand and paint but don't want to loose the factory look
Attached Thumbnails I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!-image.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Goat wheels don't look too bad on our cars. Nice pick up! Looks like fun
Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThoR294
Goat wheels don't look too bad on our cars. Nice pick up! Looks like fun
True...however I have them on the local Craigslist up for trade for some WS6 wheels. I want this car to look (outside appearing of course) identical to my old 99 WS6 I had.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:42 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

It looks as if the dash pad you have is a 93-94 only. Idk what year the dash you put in was from, but 93-94 cars had one angle at the top of the dash that was a tad different, so a 93-94 dash won't fit with a 95-02 dash pad and the same in reverse.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got some more work accomplished on the T/A today. Previous owner spray bombed the car without feeling the need to mask anything up. So there was thick overspray on the trim and weatherstrips. Fortunately they must have used cheap spray cans at that because I took 000 steel whool and winded and it all came off although the windshield panel I will probably dye black.

Here is half primer removal done and half still need primer removed...

Here's a shot all cleaned up...just a simple task like this makes this car look so much better!! I don't mind as primered car as long as its cleanly done which this car wasn't.

Since all the primer has to come off, I figured why not use it as a guide coat and block sand the primer off with 320 grit and any low spots will come out as unremoved primer and will need some glaze putty. I started with the spoiler and knocked it out this evening. Just needs some hairline cracks sanded down and a few rock chips feathered out and she will be set.

Did a little more block sanding today until a evening storm rolled in...sail panel is all prepped and ready for the next step. No major issues just some feathering of rocks chips. Next step will be the doors...
Attached Thumbnails I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!-image.jpg   I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!-image.jpg   I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!-image.jpg   I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!-image.jpg  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Started today's progress...popped the back plastic cover off and undid several 10 mm bolts and pulled the wing off. Now to prep under the spoiler...
Old 06-25-2013, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Scary project to embark on. Fixing hacked work is never fun. Good luck

Quick Reply: I'm back to the 4th gen game! This time with a Trans Am!