Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Is Dawn Dish Soap The Only Thing That Will Remove Wax???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 882 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by egott_91
It's not really necessary to remove the polish oils between polishes with IPA. Only time you really need to use IPA is to 1) strip wax before polishing and 2) remove polishing oils before laying a sealant or wax
It is necessary to ensure there isn't any compound or polishes acting as a filler covering up defects or marring.

M205 is good about filling and hiding. I would rather know after I do a panel if it needs more work not when I'm prepping it for a LSP.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LetsRide
Why are you trying to strip the wax off your car? If your going to polish the car out anyways I would just wash the car with whatever you normally wash it. Then from there I'm sure a clay bar or even compound/polish will take care of any wax that was previously on the surface. That's just me I don't personally see any reason to strip old wax off.
Normal car shampoo doesn't strip wax off. Claying isn't going to remove it either. That's not it does nor what it is designed for.

You want your paint "naked" before you start polishing. You don't want anything besides compound or polish rolling around under the pad while you are correcting. That's why a good decon process is essential when doing paint correction.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I use dawn to strip the wax and use my Porter 7424 to polish the car. In between stages I have a 50/50 mix of water/isopropyl alcohol to remove the compounds completely before I use the next compound.
Mike Philliphs did a good article on IPA mixes. Most feel around 15% is safe and higher concentrates can possible damage clear coats.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...n-results.html
Old 06-23-2013, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys. Ended up finding some blue Dawn dish soap and used that to wash the car with. After that, I clayed the entire car and the following day, I used the two stage Adam's paint correcting/polishing kit with my Harbor Freight DA. It turned out better than I ever could have imagined. It was my first time using a DA, so I was a little nervous, but after watching a bunch of videos on Youtube from Adams and Junkman, I felt pretty confident. It was a very intensive process, but the results were well worth all the effort. I applied Adam's Glaze and then Adam's Americana Paste Wax and that made my car shine better than it ever has. Once I get all the pics uploaded, I'll make a detailed thread showing off the results.

Also, this was the first time I have ever used Dawn to wash the car, so theoretically, it was the first time I had ever stripped off any existing wax.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's great man! The first few times can be nerve racking but like anything else it becomes easier and not as stressful. Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
That's great man! The first few times can be nerve racking but like anything else it becomes easier and not as stressful. Can't wait to see the pics.
Yeah, I was very nervous when I made my first pass with it. I did half the spoiler first and made a few passes. I wiped it off and I could tell a huge difference. I made a few more passes to get it where I wanted it and then proceeded to do the rest of the car. Let's just say after I was done, I was pretty worn out.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I understand about being wore out. I did a 55 hour correction on a Denali earlier this year. It was a train wreck. I was sore in places I didn't even know I had.

Using a d/a polisher like the HF D/A and a foam pad there's nothing really to be nervous about. It's about damn near impossible if not impossible to damage the paint. It's amazing how little clear you are actually removing.

Do you like the Americana Wax? I've read a lot of great things about it. A friend of mine who uses only Adam's products absolutely loves it.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I understand about being wore out. I did a 55 hour correction on a Denali earlier this year. It was a train wreck. I was sore in places I didn't even know I had.

Using a d/a polisher like the HF D/A and a foam pad there's nothing really to be nervous about. It's about damn near impossible if not impossible to damage the paint. It's amazing how little clear you are actually removing.

Do you like the Americana Wax? I've read a lot of great things about it. A friend of mine who uses only Adam's products absolutely loves it.
Yes, I really do like the Americana Wax. It was so easy to apply and remove and it left the paint with an amazing shine and clarity. I used the Adam's Glaze first, then applied the Americana.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where the pics mayne!? I wanna see this thing! Lol
Old 07-05-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by muttstang
Where the pics mayne!? I wanna see this thing! Lol
Got the pics; just need to get them uploaded.

By the way, how's your build coming along?

Quick Reply: Is Dawn Dish Soap The Only Thing That Will Remove Wax???