Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paint vs Vinyl on dot matrix with tint? Pics?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Paint vs Vinyl on dot matrix with tint? Pics?

I recent had my TA tinted at a what was supposed to be the best tint place in town. I asked for vinyl when I called for a quote and they said they had a better solution. They ended up using gluing on the dots and a few spots look like crap. When I had them look at it again two weeks later they said they could cut the tint back and vinyl it but that that it would look worse and if it were them they would just leave it. Needless to say I'm ticked as I expressed to them in the beginning that this was aesthetic and all I cared about was that it looked perfect from the outside.

I've read about both using vinyl and painting the dot matrix with black paint on here but I haven't seen any pictures. Can anyone weight in on this and maybe post some pictures of their painted or vinyled rear window?

Here are my pics for reference

Last edited by RebelExtrm02; 07-15-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What they failed to do was prep the window correctly. They should have used a scotch-pad to scuff the painted OEM dots on the inside. Without doing this the glue in the tint doesn't stick well. Its a very common issue.

At this point you either have them strip it and re-install or you (yourself) take a razor blade and remove the tint where the dots are (the whole top row) then mask and rattle can paint it (semi-gloss black).
Old 07-15-2013, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't like the idea of painting it, simply because it's so much harder to remove should you ever want to. Mine is done in vinyl and it looks GREAT, especially when compared to the way tint always look on that area

so yeah, get it vinyl'd and you'll be set
Old 07-15-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

a good place will do that no problem . They dont know what they are doing , make them take it off and find another shop .
Old 07-15-2013, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

If I get it vinyl'd and I decide I'm still unhappy, will I be able to remove the vinyl without tearing up the tint it will overlap so I can paint it?

I have no problems painting it if it's going to look better than even the vinyl. I just want to be done with it and have the best i'm going to get. I paid extra to have the "best" shop in the city do it and they're dicking me around. It seems like every time I let someone else touch my car it always ends up being a crappy experience.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

Well it looks like i'm going to end having to remove it and paint it myself. I tried calling the owner of the shop and he wouldn't talk to me then and didn't call me back. At this point I don't want them near my car anymore.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
I don't like the idea of painting it, simply because it's so much harder to remove should you ever want to. Mine is done in vinyl and it looks GREAT, especially when compared to the way tint always look on that area

so yeah, get it vinyl'd and you'll be set
Do you have pics? Wouldn't the vinyl also create bubbles since it can't adhere to the glass fully because of the raised portions of the circles?

Quick Reply: Paint vs Vinyl on dot matrix with tint? Pics?