Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mecham Wing Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Mecham Wing Install

I'm getting ready to put this Mecham Wing on in the next couple of days Are you supposed to put something between the spoiler and the hatch/ body? like a foam guard?
Old 07-21-2013, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there's suppose to be foam that lays in between the spoiler and the body/hatch of the car.

When I got the SS spoiler for my car, it came with foam and I put it in between the spoiler and the body/hatch and had no issues with it rubbing paint off or scuffing it.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to have one of those installed on my ta. Didnt like it at all. Watch when you open that hatch bc sometimes it can come down and hit you in the head as the other wing is a fair bit more heavier then the stock one. I had nothing in the middle of the hatch and wing. It scratched the paint and dented it bc of the weight. I ended up ripping it off asap and selling it and going back to the stock one and tbh it doesnt flow well with the car.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
I use to have one of those installed on my ta. Didnt like it at all. Watch when you open that hatch bc sometimes it can come down and hit you in the head as the other wing is a fair bit more heavier then the stock one. I had nothing in the middle of the hatch and wing. It scratched the paint and dented it bc of the weight. I ended up ripping it off asap and selling it and going back to the stock one and tbh it doesnt flow well with the car.
I have had mine on my car for about 8 years now, and it has never come back down and hit me. Sounds like you might need some new shocks for the hatch. I will not argue that its heavier especially when it holds water, and it will when it rains. My other concern is how your hatch was dented? The hatches are made of fiberglass. Fiberglass will not dent, but instead under stress it will crack. I have had no problems with mine.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shocks where replaced the first time thinking it was that. Still happened.

I was thinking the same about the dents. But they where under each corner on both sides in the same spot. I had to get the whole hatch repainted bc of it. It was not crack or anything. They looked just like dents. I think it was from over the years.
Attached Thumbnails Mecham Wing Install-wing2.jpg   Mecham Wing Install-wing.jpg  
Old 07-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Shocks where replaced the first time thinking it was that. Still happened.

I was thinking the same about the dents. But they where under each corner on both sides in the same spot. I had to get the whole hatch repainted bc of it. It was not crack or anything. They looked just like dents. I think it was from over the years.
Are you talking about the indention's at the mounting points of the spoiler? If so that is how it was made, and on the hatch it has raised areas at each mounting point that fit inside of the indented spots of the spoiler. My guess to prevent water from getting inside the car. The newer T/A's may be different, but that's how mine is. BTW whoever prepped and painted yours did a great job!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you look at the 2nd pic. the outer sides that sits on the hatch with the 3 studs sticking out. now at the rear you see it sort of comes to a point. those points made the dents some say. the dents where under each side in the same spot. the wing wasnt lose or anything. we even took it off couple times to figure why it was doing so. i think over the years of it there and the wind pushing agaist that upper lip might have put alot of pressure on those outer points. maybe thats anther reason why some say they came with something that went in the middle of the hatch and wing. either way thats what mind did.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

if you look at the 2nd pic. the outer sides that sits on the hatch with the 3 studs sticking out. now at the rear you see it sort of comes to a point. those points made the dents some say. the dents where under each side in the same spot. the wing wasnt lose or anything. we even took it off couple times to figure why it was doing so. i think over the years of it there and the wind pushing agaist that upper lip might have put alot of pressure on those outer points. maybe thats anther reason why some say they came with something that went in the middle of the hatch and wing. either way thats what mind did.
Hmm that is odd, I'm sure the added precaution of adding a foam/rubber filler surely cant hurt anything. It can be done easily without it being noticeable. Besides after market parts will always have some kind of flaw somewhere. They just aren't OEM parts. You just have to love the part more than the flaw sometimes. To a reasonable degree of course!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the help guys! I actual bought the wing you sold Blackbird-WS6 so I hope I don't have the same problem. I'm going out today to try to find some type of filler I can put between the 2. I do agree that the job wont look like it came from the dealer so I'm prepared to put up with some degree of flaw. The same body shop said $150 to install it and it would look factory so I might go that route if the gaps / flaws are noticeable...
Old 07-22-2013, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh wow. Its been some time lol I hope all goes well. It sat perfect on my car. No gaps or anything. Im just not sure why it did that to my car. Just keep and eye on it. I didnt even know they came with something in the middle until this thread.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Oh wow. Its been some time lol I hope all goes well. It sat perfect on my car. No gaps or anything. Im just not sure why it did that to my car. Just keep and eye on it. I didnt even know they came with something in the middle until this thread.
Sure has ... Had to save for a car for the wife ... then she needed surgery on her knee, then saved for a house! lol .. I just got around this past weekend to take it to a buddy. Now I have to find this foam stuff!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Good luck with the install, and we will be looking forward to some pics!
Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99WS6MAN
Sure has ... Had to save for a car for the wife ... then she needed surgery on her knee, then saved for a house! lol .. I just got around this past weekend to take it to a buddy. Now I have to find this foam stuff!
Im remember boxing/shipping that beast. Now that was fun LOL. Sorry to hear about the other things. Good luck with the install but its not that hard todo yourself. Just have a friend help you lift it into place.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Yeah I remember you helped out a lot with the packing/ shipping and thanks you sir! I actual forgot to give the body guy this gas tank lip do paint so I need to get out there anyway ... I'm hoping I can find something at a craft store of maybe make something out of a rubber hose for a grommet.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea its a very odd shape to package. Im sure when you got it you where like "wtf" lmao
Old 07-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Believe or not I took it in the original packing! It held up awesome over the years and moving twice! lol ... I'm hoping I get it back in the original packing too

Quick Reply: Mecham Wing Install