Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What would you want from a new center console?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What would you want from a new center console?

If you could custom order a new center console for your 4th gen what would you want?

No ridiculous cup holders?
Gauge pod?
Line lock area instead of ash tray?
switch panel instead of cubby hole?
Slide style lid?
Air vents for the rear in place of more ridiculous cup holders?

Let me know... I'm brainstorming
Old 08-30-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default my thoughts

Make it wider similar to GTO by making the space under ebrake even with rest of console.

Use a shorter ebrake handle, not the one we have from a school bus.

On a m6 car delete the cupholder and combine it with ashtray.
Can be used as storage/phonedock/switch panel.

Delete cubby area and use it for switch panel
Delete lighter and extend cubby area for more storage.

2 USB device charging ports hidden in the storage area.

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 08-31-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Leather wrapped and no cup holder.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:04 PM
Launching!

bad 408 vert - do you mean the cubby hole in front of the shifter? Wouldn't the cable get in the way? What about in place of the second cig lighter outlet?

I was also thinking about a 3.5mm plug for MP3 players in that area...
Old 08-30-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blend rear of console into custom speaker box in place of rear seat, Make easier to get out around parking brake (those that have removed it know what I'm talking about), keep the main cupholder as I use it daily but ditch the other 3, increase size of rear compartment so as to utilize part of compartment to hold the head unit but still space to hold other **** rework front of console to facilitate dropping the HVAC control down to it, this now frees the entire existing radio/hvac cubby to be used for 7" tablet and of course wrap it.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:31 AM
12 Second Club

replace cubby with switch panel pre wired. usb port instead of lighter. more switches under ashtray lid. better looking gear indicator panel with leds.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Blend rear of console into custom speaker box in place of rear seat, Make easier to get out around parking brake (those that have removed it know what I'm talking about), keep the main cupholder as I use it daily but ditch the other 3, increase size of rear compartment so as to utilize part of compartment to hold the head unit but still space to hold other **** rework front of console to facilitate dropping the HVAC control down to it, this now frees the entire existing radio/hvac cubby to be used for 7" tablet and of course wrap it.
Its doable to mount 7# tablet with just trimming the bezel for a double din radio.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by juSStin4171
bad 408 vert - do you mean the cubby hole in front of the shifter? Wouldn't the cable get in the way? What about in place of the second cig lighter outlet?

I was also thinking about a 3.5mm plug for MP3 players in that area...
I updated my post and yep 3.5mm plug is a great idea.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Good stuff in here! I'm going to try to build one that is universally beneficial to all 4th gen owners - not just show cars, audiophiles, race cars etc... Something we can all appreciate.
I just can't stand the cup holders, I don't think anyone should smoke in a car so out with the ashtray, and what could anyone ever really put in that cubbyhole anyway?!

I'm working on a design that will be "interchangeable" with different options, plates etc. Some might want a gauge where others want a switch panel I think I can make that happen.

Sounds like leather is popular - what about suede or alcantera (my preference)
Old 09-02-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

No personal experience but I think alcantera would be more delicate and need proper cleaning more than leather/vinyl would.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Launching!

I started modifying one. I removed the cup holder, and *** tray and was going to cover over the cubby hole and all the external cig lighters.

I was going to put a converter in the underside and have the 110v plugs exposed on the inside of the center console.

I was planning on sanding everything smooth, treating it with SEM texture paint(matches real dang close) and get the correct ebony color ontop.

I also considered making a mold when done and making fiberglass copies as the console has been extremely smoothed out and simplified. I also figured it'd be easiest to simply reform the lid to house a sliding access panel verse the flip top lid.

Oh but im married and in the navy and I have no time to mess with finishing anything ever lol
Old 09-02-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not just a new center console but the whole 2010 SS/RS interior.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bottom console is fine the way it is IMO. The upper console I would delete the center cup holder and the ash tray, along with the cig lighter. I like the cubby hole to stay though.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
Its doable to mount 7# tablet with just trimming the bezel for a double din radio.
not the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7", which is what I have. they have alot of bezel around the screen.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Alcantera x2! I personally would have to keep the rear cupholders and the flip out one because in a Camaro there is not other place to put a drink. An interchangeable panel underneath a sliding door would be nice in place of the center cupholder and ashtray, and it would keep the design more universal. Kudos to you for stepping up to the plate! I will definitely buy one of your front end cover when I get some cash.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd be really happy with a nice leather covered console lid that I can lean on with out it buckling and breaking. The factory console lid sucks, and it's not inexpensive!

For changes to the console I'd delete the ashtray and rear cup holders, but extend the compartment and lid back further so the overall length is still the same.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 09-03-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by J LT1 TA
The bottom console is fine the way it is IMO. The upper console I would delete the center cup holder and the ash tray, along with the cig lighter. I like the cubby hole to stay though.
Agreed. The lower portion is alright. I like having at least one cup holder so the two in the back aren't a big deal to me, or even keeping the one flip out. What I hate is the upper portion. There's far too much going on and too many places to collect dirt. I think simplicity would be nice. If there was, for instance, just a shifter slot and indicator with nothing where the cup holder and ash tray goes that would be fine with me. A blank if you will.

Then, as you mentioned, you could have different features depending on taste and intended use. Maybe even eliminate it all and make the auto consoles look similar to the manual ones with nothing but a boot and whatever other features folks want. I took my selector out a long time ago since I never actually used it to begin with. You can tell everything by feel.

Overall, I think simplicity would be an upgrade. Just revamp the top section and maybe offer a nice lid for the ever breaking doors instead of doing the entire console.

Even something like this would be fantastic up top. A large panel area with blanks would be perfect to add switches and accessories, but keep it simple and modular for manufacturing and upgrade ease.

Pic way too big
http://image.camaroperformers.com/f/...er_console.jpg

Last edited by RaggedRides; 09-04-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I like an option of bringing it all the way back and have it cascade up between the rear seats.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BLOODTA
I like an option of bringing it all the way back and have it cascade up between the rear seats.
This has been close to what my "ideal" design would have. Not cascading up the back seat, but at least to the back rest itself. This way rear passengers (like that happens a lot) would have an arm rest. I think it would look sick and similar to the last pic posted above (black custom console).
Old 09-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Launching!

By the way, if anyone has a beat up, old, nasty console that they would like to donate (or sell for cheap) let me know!

Quick Reply: What would you want from a new center console?