Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HID's in fog lamps

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID's in fog lamps

I had HID's installed in my 02 Trans Am fog lamps, I have read and some people have had luck and some they melted the lens.

I don't use the fogs much and the plastic lens is starting to melt, the bulbs almost touch the lens,...did they use the wrong bulb? I don't know much about HID's but there are different size bulbs...is there a size that works and will not continue to melt the factory plastic lens and will work with the ballasts that are on my car?

And I messed with trying to get one of the housings out to see if I could read the bulb, man it's tight, I removed the two screws and tried to push the bumper out to slide it out but it didn't want to come out...is this the way to remove them?
Old 09-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock housing isn't made to handle HIDs, so no bulb is right unless it's the halogen replacer. I suppose it could work with low profile hid bulbs, but they would still reflect terribly and blind oncoming traffic since it is not a hid projector.

I would either get new stock housings and go back to halogens (looks crappy I know) or get some better fogs that handle the hid setup.

I have HIDs in my fogs, but i use low profile bulbs, and glass/metal housings. I aim them very low to avoid any poor reflections.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

first, typically most of the HID "bulbs" out there are the same "tube" simply installed on whatever base is the type of light your installing, which in this case should be an 880, if you want to avoid this problem your first option is to switch back to stock halogens, next is to track down someone parting out an LT1 4th gen (they have glass lenses and metal housings so they won't melt) or a cheaper option is to switch to a different light entirely like in this thread http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...in-98-Firebird (it's on here to I just didn't wanna search for it) this is what I'm fixing to do, HID in non projectors just puts out to much glare.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have LED bulbs in my foglights to match the color of the HID's in the headlights. They won't melt the lens and they don't create glare to the oncoming drivers. Plus LED's last longer and use very little power to light them.

Last edited by RedHotG8; 09-14-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 666ws6
The stock housing isn't made to handle HIDs, so no bulb is right unless it's the halogen replacer. I suppose it could work with low profile hid bulbs, but they would still reflect terribly and blind oncoming traffic since it is not a hid projector.

I would either get new stock housings and go back to halogens (looks crappy I know) or get some better fogs that handle the hid setup.

I have HIDs in my fogs, but i use low profile bulbs, and glass/metal housings. I aim them very low to avoid any poor reflections.
What housing did you buy/use and does it look good?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
I have LED bulbs in my foglights to match the color of the HID's in the headlights. They won't melt the lens and they don't create glare to the oncoming drivers. Plus LED's last longer and use very little power to light them.

Where did you get your LED's at, I got some and they where even dimmer then factory halogens and they had a real bad tendency to flicker (not flash like there supposed to) when I unarmed the alarm?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedHotG8

RedHot
Those LED's look pretty bright in the pic. The shop that sold me the HID's said that LED's are not any brighter than the stock Halo's, what would you say.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got the LED bulbs on Ebay and they have never flickered on me. They have 68 LEDs on each one so they are pretty bright, but they don't cast as much light as HID bulbs. I wanted them to match my HID headlights and not melt the lens so I'm ok with that. I wasn't looking for light output since the HID headlights light up the road very well.

This is the style that I got, you will have to search for a bulb size that fits your socket:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H16-White-LED-Bulbs-68-SMD-Super-Bright-DRL-Fog-Light-lamp-/280763994528?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415ed691a0&vxp=mtr
Old 09-15-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's pic showing the light output of just the LED foglights cast on the pavement:

Old 09-17-2013, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have HID's in my fog housing on my TA. Let me see if I can dig up some pictures. Since they are low they aren't blinding but are bright as hell so I rarely use my headlights. I'll get a night pic too to kinda show the "cutoff". The light goes right to the top of the license plate of cars in front of me and no higher but out quite a bit. I've had no problems with deformation or melting.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Streetlegal?
I have HID's in my fog housing on my TA. Let me see if I can dig up some pictures. Since they are low they aren't blinding but are bright as hell so I rarely use my headlights. I'll get a night pic too to kinda show the "cutoff". The light goes right to the top of the license plate of cars in front of me and no higher but out quite a bit. I've had no problems with deformation or melting.
I don't doubt you but I wonder how some people have no melting issue and some like me do? Mine are definitely melting.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 02WS6FREEBIRD
I don't doubt you but I wonder how some people have no melting issue and some like me do? Mine are definitely melting.
HIDs run cooler than halogen when they are the same wattage. Did you put a 55w HID kit in the fogs? 55w HIDs will be hotter than 35w halogen.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Launching!

I cut the plastic lens off the housing and made a 1/4" glass piece to replace it. No issues at all.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by _JB_
HIDs run cooler than halogen when they are the same wattage. Did you put a 55w HID kit in the fogs? 55w HIDs will be hotter than 35w halogen.

i am not sure what watt HID they used, seems like it's probably 55w doing the damage it's doing.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=BlackBirdDaddy;17693280]I cut the plastic lens off the housing and made a 1/4" glass piece to replace it. No issues at all.

Maybe I need to find a glass shop and do the same.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The LT1 fog lights are glass. I've had HID's in mine for about 2 years and use them often. No problems here.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xBrandonx
The LT1 fog lights are glass. I've had HID's in mine for about 2 years and use them often. No problems here.
Is yours the glass LT1?

Do you an extra set you want to sell
Old 09-20-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 02WS6FREEBIRD
Is yours the glass LT1?

Do you an extra set you want to sell
No, sorry, got mine from someone on here.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by xBrandonx
No, sorry, got mine from someone on here.
Do the LT1 housings bolt right up to 1998-2002 Trans Am.....?

Quick Reply: HID's in fog lamps