Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Any tips on bringing this 20 year old paint back to life?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 06:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Any tips on bringing this 20 year old paint back to life?

I took off the passenger side molding and stripes and couldn't get the glue all the way off so it looks like **** and the tops of my front fenders are faded. Any tips?
Attached Thumbnails Any tips on bringing this 20 year old paint back to life?-image.jpg  
Old 11-07-2013, 06:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

porter cable 7424 xp with lake county orange 5.5 inch pad and meguirs 105 , followed by meguirs 205 on a white lake county 5.5inch pad. , then your favorite wax or polish.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants

I took off the passenger side molding and stripes and couldn't get the glue all the way off so it looks like **** and the tops of my front fenders are faded. Any tips?
You can get it to look alot nicer by lightly wetsanding and buffing. But by the look of the pic and your fenders being faded a paint job is in order if you plan on keeping it and modding it.Good luck!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You can use goo gone to remove the left over residue. It sounds like the fenders have clear coat failure. If they do the only fix is a repaint. Do you have better photos?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Thats with the original hood, now I have another hood that was silver and I spray painted black (needed a hood in a jam, gave mine to a guy to make a custom fiberglass one and he flaked out) You can kinda see the fender.

Heres the passenger side where I tried to take off the emblems, stripes, and molding. You can really see how faded and dull the plastic is.

I dont really have any more better pictures. Anywhere that there is metal, like the rear fenders and stuff looks fine and can be cleaned up with a good wash and wax and scuff I think, but the plastic is where Im lost. I tried goo gone on the molding when I took it off and it didnt work well. Im absolutely keeping the car, I just want to clean it up a bit. I might just try to find new polo green fenders and front bumper cover. I am pretty careless when working on the car so I would never paint it until I was pretty much done modding, I always forget to cover hte fenders and leave belt buckle marks, or dirty greasy finger prints, or accidentally slide out of the engine bay and catch the little hooks on my boots on the front bumper cover and leave scratches. Hell yesterday I had a rear end fall of of jackstands and the phb mount scuffed the rear bumper cover. Theres also a dent in the driver side rear fender where I tried carrying a full keg on gravel between 2 cars in sandals drunk and slipped and banged the keg off the fender
Old 11-08-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO pay the 150 bucks that the local detail shop charges.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
IMO pay the 150 bucks that the local detail shop charges.
150 dollars isn't going to do much at all on paint that severely neglected....... Fbody paint from those years was not very durable, you may have to repaint. But pick up a porter cable and some Lake Country orange pads (5.5") and some Meguiars 205. That will tell you if the paint is salvageable or not. I would not try 105 until you know for sure. Never start out with an aggressive step.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ws6man29
You can get it to look alot nicer by lightly wetsanding and buffing. But by the look of the pic and your fenders being faded a paint job is in order if you plan on keeping it and modding it.Good luck!
No. No. No. One more time NO.

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
150 dollars isn't going to do much at all on paint that severely neglected....... Fbody paint from those years was not very durable, you may have to repaint. But pick up a porter cable and some Lake Country orange pads (5.5") and some Meguiars 205. That will tell you if the paint is salvageable or not. I would not try 105 until you know for sure. Never start out with an aggressive step.
Yeah that clear looks cloudy which would make me nervous.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yeah that paint job is on its last leg. I would just leave it alone until you have money to paint the car. any attempt to wet sand or even buff that paint could lead to a bare panel pretty quickly.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
I see what your saying but as an amateur thats almost the worst kind of paint to learn on. One wrong move and he's gonna be getting quotes for paint....or maybe its the best to learn on?
Old 11-10-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
I see what your saying but as an amateur thats almost the worst kind of paint to learn on. One wrong move and he's gonna be getting quotes for paint....or maybe its the best to learn on?
It's hard to tell from the low res pic. But 205 is pretty gentle.

Put it this way, if its already past the failure point (likely) it won't make any difference as it needs paint anyway. But on the chance it's still saveable, 205 may bring some life back into it.

If it was my car, I would resign myself to accept the fact it will need repainting very soon. And then give that gentle combo a try. Honestly is it risky? Yes and no.....why?....because if its already too far gone it will still continue to degrade and look way worse in the coming months, or maybe a year.

Quick Reply: Any tips on bringing this 20 year old paint back to life?