Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Camaro R8 Style Head light issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro R8 Style Head light issue

Hello, let me just first apologize if this isn't the correct forum section to be posting this in. Figured it was suited.

Anyway, recently I purchased a pair of R8 Style Projector Head Lights from Pro Tuning Lab. The thing is, I read on another thread someone had issue with the cut-off the light's gave. Saw the pictures, and quite honestly, had me worried. Although he bought a e-Bay set, I figured since they are pretty much the same, I'd have issues as well. He stated that his set had a halogen instead of a projector. my fear is I might have the same issue. I just recently got them to turn on, long story on why it took so long, had to reverse the polarity. But that is a different discussion.

On their site they are labeled as "Projector Head light's". They mention usage of projector's and HID's. So I'm assuming they aren't halogen's? I'm just curious if they use a proper projector for the HID rather than a halogen.

So basically, I was wondering if someone from the forum has purchased r8 style head lights from either pro tuning lab or whoever and had issues they could share?

Item's number is: HID-LHP-CMR98-8-APC

-Also having trouble with my halo's, they won't even turn on. (The running day light's are NOT hooked up yet), so if that's why then nevermind.

Would appreciate any advice or help. If I'm wrong about something please do correct me. A little bit of a aftermarket lighting newbie.

Thanks.

Last edited by Blazekillerace; 01-17-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

These R8 style projectors are all made by one manufacturer but sold through multiple vendors. That being said, they are halogen projectors. But you could use HID's in them.

Hopefully someone chimes in on the halo's.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Guz
These R8 style projectors are all made by one manufacturer but sold through multiple vendors. That being said, they are halogen projectors. But you could use HID's in them.

Hopefully someone chimes in on the halo's.
Ah, I see. Well that being the case I might invest in a HID kit. Thanks for letting me know.

Now the question becomes is it a simple switch up? Or do I have to disassemble the whole unit (lens and all) to install the HID kit? Reason why I'm asking is because people say that the light output of a halogen lens isn't too good. And the fact I ran into the terrible cut-off these lights have. I'm afraid I'm going to blind someone with these headlights. Someone on this forum did a lens swap, and did a little bit of modification. Used a bulb from "Valeo" I believe. Needless to say, he disassembled the whole unit. Great write up.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont understand what you're asking clearly..
the part number stated "HID" so obviously they are made for HIDs. to be honest their quality isnt that good. a proper HID projector alone would cost you atleast a 100+ or so which are the morimoto minis that i bought. the issue with the cutoff has to do with the cutoff frame or whatever you call it, the quality of the HID and the quality of the projector. your halos should be having their own wiring. if you still havent got the hid for the love of god dont get xentec.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
i dont understand what you're asking clearly..
the part number stated "HID" so obviously they are made for HIDs. to be honest their quality isnt that good. a proper HID projector alone would cost you atleast a 100+ or so which are the morimoto minis that i bought. the issue with the cutoff has to do with the cutoff frame or whatever you call it, the quality of the HID and the quality of the projector. your halos should be having their own wiring. if you still havent got the hid for the love of god dont get xentec.
Yes they can have HID's. I had a long discussion with the company I bought them from. Sadly, they use halogens. I know what bulb the cut-off issue is coming from. I just wondered whether it was a easy fix or not. I kept mentioning the cut-off issue to them. Was pretty much ignored even though it's a satefy issue. Oh well.

The thing is about the projector, there is only one manufacture for these headlights, just many vendors. As stated from above. I do believe in "you get what you paid for", but I paid at least 120 a piece, probably paid to much but you live and learn.. Let alone customer service was AWFUL. But you happen to have any suggestions or available choices I have to fix the cut-off and help produce better lighting? Protuning sells their own HID kits, you have a good quality brand you could recommend?

As for the halo's. I said the same thing, there should've been wires for them. The pictures showed a "halo" like ring. And people who had bought these headlights seem to have a ring. Unless of course the "ring" is made by reflection or whatever. Idk really. So I asked if they were part of the RDL circuit or something. I had a feeling there wasn't. But they said there isn't halo's or halo rings. Just confused me when people have the headlights and there is clearly a ring around it. But again, I'm ignorant to this subject.

Either way I'll stay away from xentec if they are that bad. Mind giving a reason why? How do you know what to look for?

Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It isn't too hard to mod a far better projector into them. Someone did a how-to thread on here someplace and it came out well. Look around the forum with "R8 projector" and check the lighting FAQ as it may be in there as well.

The halos are separately powered via the extra wiring on the back that you haven't yet hooked up.

Xentec are cheap. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. My old xentec kit works OK, but it isn't as bright as my excellent Morimoto kit is I got from The Retrofit Source even though both are 35W. Although, the Morimotos do cost around 2x the Xentecs do, but for good reason IMO.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
It isn't too hard to mod a far better projector into them. Someone did a how-to thread on here someplace and it came out well. Look around the forum with "R8 projector" and check the lighting FAQ as it may be in there as well.

The halos are separately powered via the extra wiring on the back that you haven't yet hooked up.

Xentec are cheap. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. My old xentec kit works OK, but it isn't as bright as my excellent Morimoto kit is I got from The Retrofit Source even though both are 35W. Although, the Morimotos do cost around 2x the Xentecs do, but for good reason IMO.
Yeah I did a look up on the r8 lights here, it was a good write up. But I'm afraid I might break something if I tried that. Not a good modifier. Lol

And when it comes to price I don't mind. If the morimoto's are a better product then I will have no problem paying for them. Even though these are "cheap" headlights, they seem to be decent quality. Better than what I currently have for sure. But I'll stay away from the cheap ones. So long as those HID kits don't cost more than the head lights themselves. I'll browse that site you gave me. Thank you for the tips. Much appreciated.

But as for the "halo's", they said there isn't any on the unit. And there is only 2 bare wires (a red and black) which seem to be the RDL's wires. So sadly there isn't any. Unless they are wrong, which honestly wouldn't surprise me. But either way, if they don't have them then maybe they I'll get use to a new look. Worth a shot.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:58 PM
Launching!

I just looked at the site, there is a set for like $300, but idk if I really need something that advanced. Newbie question, how do I know what to get? I mean I know what bulb size I have (35W) but other than that I have no idea. I was thinking of contacting customer service, but I always get people who don't know anything more than I do sadly. Any information would be appreciated. Still learning.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Hi , just got the same trouble, here´s the threads

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ctor-swap.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...eadlights.html

i hope you can fix it, i did the mod it but have not the best of results.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1rules¡¡¡
Hi , just got the same trouble, here´s the threads

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ctor-swap.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...eadlights.html

i hope you can fix it, i did the mod it but have not the best of results.
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated! I'll take a look right now.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:33 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Those R8-style Camaro headlights have Halogen Projectors in them. The crooked cut-off problem they have is inherent to the faulty design of that headlight and not the result of a bulb.

Also, Halogen Projectors are different than HID Projectors. Some Halogen Projectors can handle HID OK, some can't. Either way, they won't output as well as HID in a real HID projector.

If you want to try HID in those Halogen projectors, you just need a a HID Kit for the correct bulb that those Halogen Projectors use. From what I've seen, the output will be poor. You are better off swapping out the projectors in those headlights for something else. There is a related thread on this in the Lighting FAQ. In that thread, a Valeo projector was used, but other similar sized HID projectors could probably be put in there as well. I think the thread linked above is the one in the Lighting FAQ.

For more info on lighting upgrades, check out the Lighting FAQ:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html
and the forums at HID Planet:
http://www.hidplanet.com

Last edited by VIP1; 01-18-2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VIP1
Those R8-style Camaro headlights have Halogen Projectors in them. The crooked cut-off problem they have is inherent to the faulty design of that headlight and not the result of a bulb.

Also, Halogen Projectors are different than HID Projectors. Some Halogen Projectors can handle HID OK, some can't. Either way, they won't output as well as HID in a real HID projector.

If you want to try HID in those Halogen projectors, you just need a a HID Kit for the correct bulb that those Halogen Projectors use. From what I've seen, the output will be poor. You are better off swapping out the projectors in those headlights for something else. There is a related thread on this in the Lighting FAQ.

For more info on lighting upgrades, check out the Lighting FAQ:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html
and the forums at HID Planet:
http://www.hidplanet.com
Thanks for your input. I do agree about the halogens. But the thing is if I take the whole thing apart to just change the len's, I'll probably break it haha. Not too good at modifing. My current head light's suck. They are old and the lens is so scratched up I'm surprised I get light out of them. Either way, you do have a great idea, but I would have to pay a professional to do that considering I never done anything to headlights. But I'll give it a look.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:24 AM
Launching!

Hey, just to update you guys. I just emailed them saying I want to return these and recieve a refund.

Anyone know of a good site to buy some R8 Style Chrome HALO Headlights from? I'm looking to get 10k deep blue color. I'm looking at some right now. Just figured you guys could give me some input and advice as to who and what to stay away from. I know I'll probably run into the cut off problem but looks like I'll just have to deal with it.. Either way please let me know anything useful I should keep in mind and links are appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Blake
Old 01-18-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blazekillerace
Yeah I did a look up on the r8 lights here, it was a good write up. But I'm afraid I might break something if I tried that. Not a good modifier. Lol

And when it comes to price I don't mind. If the morimoto's are a better product then I will have no problem paying for them. Even though these are "cheap" headlights, they seem to be decent quality. Better than what I currently have for sure. But I'll stay away from the cheap ones. So long as those HID kits don't cost more than the head lights themselves. I'll browse that site you gave me. Thank you for the tips. Much appreciated.

But as for the "halo's", they said there isn't any on the unit. And there is only 2 bare wires (a red and black) which seem to be the RDL's wires. So sadly there isn't any. Unless they are wrong, which honestly wouldn't surprise me. But either way, if they don't have them then maybe they I'll get use to a new look. Worth a shot.
you can fix the cut off shield and custom your own. its not easy but not hard. here is a photo so you get the idea..

i retrofitted H1 mini projectors and used xentec (many guys advised me not to and i still did. i regret it not because i wasted the 20 or so $ but the idea of keeping this company alive lol) here is an idea of what xentec is like and OH they stopped working 15 days after i bought them and seller wont even respond lol...ill leave you with the pics...

mini H1 projectors with xentec 5k.

mini H1 with quality hids my friend gave me..i believe they are hella or some OEM audi or bmw hids am not sure. but the difference is HUGE!!

xentec VS my dad's 2010 caprice SS..those xentec wont even ignite the bulbs..

OEM lights with hid projects. cant beat it.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by omarrakeen
you can fix the cut off shield and custom your own. its not easy but not hard. here is a photo so you get the idea..

OEM lights with hid projects. cant beat it.

Wow, very great setup. Those hid's made those xentec's look like little fog lights. Quite honestly, I'm sorry you had to deal with such bad quality. And the fact they never responded, sickens me. And recently I had similar "customer service" if I have to call it that, and wish I had the time to tell you my story. Never had to deal with this with any type of car product company. But I understand your pain.

Either way, it is a great idea. Only issue is the modding part. Not good with electronics . But I suppose I could do a side project, or try too. Not exactly sure of how to go about customizing a OEM headlight setup. I'll do some research. How hard is it to get halo's in there as well? Would like halo's. Any tips you could give would be great.

But it's quite obvious the difference in quality and performance in your write up. This was very helpful, many thanks for this write up!

-By the way, does there even happen to be companies out there who actually properly build these headlights? Like, with good quality HID's right from the getgo? Any pointers again, are welcome.

Thanks again,

Blake
Old 01-18-2014, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Hi Blazekillerace, blackbirdlighting.com sells custom headlights. They are stock headlights with morimoto mini projectors. All their lighting products are from theretrofitsourse.com.

I have a pair of projectors, the eagle eye or dual CCFL projector ones. Forgot what they call them now. Anyways, mine came with a 10k HID kit. here is some pics of the color of the light out put and the cut off my headlights have...

Old 01-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chris Baker
Hi Blazekillerace, blackbirdlighting.com sells custom headlights. They are stock headlights with morimoto mini projectors. All their lighting products are from theretrofitsourse.com.

I have a pair of projectors, the eagle eye or dual CCFL projector ones. Forgot what they call them now. Anyways, mine came with a 10k HID kit. here is some pics of the color of the light out put and the cut off my headlights have...

This is exactly what I need! Thank you for posting this. I'm looking for 10k deep blue as well. Those look very good! Do they custom headlights of your choice or all are OEM?

I'll have to take a look. Thanks again.

Last edited by Blazekillerace; 01-18-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:53 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check out Blackbird Lighting Solutions (BLS) - they are a sponsor.

Basic headlight housing with HID projectors is $350 without bulbs and ballasts or $400 - $500 with bulbs and ballasts depending on which bulbs and ballasts you get.

They can also customize the headlights for an additional fee.

Also, 10,000K deep blue is crap output. It won't be much brighter than the stock lights and that color is bad for our night vision. So in essence you'll be paying for worse lighting. Stick with 4300k - 5000k for the best output and to not attract attention from police.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VIP1
Check out Blackbird Lighting Solutions (BLS) - they are a sponsor.

Basic headlight housing with HID projectors is $350 without bulbs and ballasts or $400 - $500 with bulbs and ballasts depending on which bulbs and ballasts you get.

They can also customize the headlights for an additional fee.

Also, 10,000K deep blue is crap output. It won't be much brighter than the stock lights and that color is bad for our night vision. So in essence you'll be paying for worse lighting. Stick with 4300k - 5000k for the best output and to not attract attention from police.
I just checked them out. It seems to be good quality. The problem for me is pricing. I do understand you'll get what you pay for. So I expect they do a good job. But I'm on a budget a little over $400. And with everything I want on my headlights it be around $700-800 just for the set. Just don't have that kind of money sadly.

True, 10,000k does have bad output, but I love the color, it matches my paint. I thought about getting crystal white because I'm getting a white stripe on my car as well as new good looking wheels instead of my cruddy ones, so white light would be appropriate I think. But, others think I should get gun metal wheels and a grey stripe. So now I considered a dark blue output so it would match. The white would throw it off I think. Trying to get this car looking good, other than bad and riced out like I bought it.. So any appearance tips as well would be great, even though it isn't completely related to the subject at hand. I do have acouple of threads that are more on that subject, would appreciate input!

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blazekillerace
Wow, very great setup. Those hid's made those xentec's look like little fog lights. Quite honestly, I'm sorry you had to deal with such bad quality. And the fact they never responded, sickens me. And recently I had similar "customer service" if I have to call it that, and wish I had the time to tell you my story. Never had to deal with this with any type of car product company. But I understand your pain.

Either way, it is a great idea. Only issue is the modding part. Not good with electronics . But I suppose I could do a side project, or try too. Not exactly sure of how to go about customizing a OEM headlight setup. I'll do some research. How hard is it to get halo's in there as well? Would like halo's. Any tips you could give would be great.

But it's quite obvious the difference in quality and performance in your write up. This was very helpful, many thanks for this write up!

-By the way, does there even happen to be companies out there who actually properly build these headlights? Like, with good quality HID's right from the getgo? Any pointers again, are welcome.

Thanks again,

Blake

I have gone through tons of setups lol i also had a phase of wanting halos and i did them on stock lights.

zero modifications are needed for the retrofit with morimoto minis. pretty straightforward direct swap. if it wasnt for sanding/polishing my lenses its 30 mins job lol.

Quick Reply: Camaro R8 Style Head light issue