Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

my doors have the same issue
Old 03-22-2014, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Just an update, It appears the only way to remove the old pin and wheel is with a cut off wheel and possibly a welder so, this will have to wait.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

As suggested earlier in this thread, smoothing out the step with a dremel with a grinding stone may be the easiest/best option in this scenario.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya thats gonna have to be the short term fix for now
Old 03-25-2014, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take the fender off with the door closed and replace the hinge with a junk yard assembly thats already good. time to fix is less than an hour. lol its a lot easier than i had thought
Old 03-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFate
take the fender off with the door closed and replace the hinge with a junk yard assembly thats already good. time to fix is less than an hour. lol its a lot easier than i had thought
Is there any kind of write up on it?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ I havent found any, so far my research has concluded these results:
1. Take fender off and remove the damaged hinge and replace that way to make sure alignment is the same.
2. Remove the door completely (using a marker to mark where the hinges are bolted to maintain correct alignment.

Both of the above are easiest when replacing the door hinge completely.

For the pin and wheel replacement, it becomes much more in depth. The wheel needs to be cut off with a dremel to expose the pin. Since the pin is pregnant inside the pins retaining cylinder, it requires that the retaining cylinder be cut long ways (which would require welds to repair). Or perhaps turning the hinge upside down on a table vice and try to punch it out with a spike and hammer to fit down the pin cylinder (limited success from what I have seen). It seems the easiest thing to do would be to remove the fender to expose the spring. Since the door is closed the spring wont have much tension on it and will then remove easily. Once the spring is removed the door will swing freely and no longer make noises associated with the pin and roller. If noise is still made then you have other hinge/door issues.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would just buy a good used hinge... its really easy to fix and you dont have to dismantle the whole car, just take the fender off swap and your done. if you dont make any sudden movemets (like i tried not to) you wont have to realign **** .
Originally Posted by jaxcam02
^^^ I havent found any, so far my research has concluded these results:
1. Take fender off and remove the damaged hinge and replace that way to make sure alignment is the same.
2. Remove the door completely (using a marker to mark where the hinges are bolted to maintain correct alignment.

Both of the above are easiest when replacing the door hinge completely.

For the pin and wheel replacement, it becomes much more in depth. The wheel needs to be cut off with a dremel to expose the pin. Since the pin is pregnant inside the pins retaining cylinder, it requires that the retaining cylinder be cut long ways (which would require welds to repair). Or perhaps turning the hinge upside down on a table vice and try to punch it out with a spike and hammer to fit down the pin cylinder (limited success from what I have seen). It seems the easiest thing to do would be to remove the fender to expose the spring. Since the door is closed the spring wont have much tension on it and will then remove easily. Once the spring is removed the door will swing freely and no longer make noises associated with the pin and roller. If noise is still made then you have other hinge/door issues.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can you give some details on easy ? Door stays shut in place ? Remove what bolts ? Door side or body side or both ? Any info will be helpful.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sub'd, mine is starting to have a slight issue closing the door too
Old 04-01-2016, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Does anyone know where I can buy a set of NEW hinges?
Old 04-01-2016, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No one makes them yet.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh okay... I figured that someone like Hawks would have old new stock, or something.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish.

I found a decent guy on ebay that buys and sells used fbodies from the south so it is rust free parts. I bought hinges off of him, but at 20 yrs. old these cars are getting up there. I was hoping classic industries might do something too.

Quick Reply: Door Hinge fix?