Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Door Hinge fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door Hinge fix?

I did some researching on here and didn't find a solid fix for the crazy door hinges on the f bodys. Mine is creaking then popping as it closes. Is there a fix out there now that will work? Does someone have a great write up? I found this door hinge fix kit and also found this kit through Classic Industries but it is pretty expensive (might be worth it if it actually fixes the problem). Any help would be awesome!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never had a problem with my door hinge, just keep it lubed, I use this teflon oil stuff.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My old 98 did that and even after spraying it the groan and pop would come back. Out of frustration I dribbled the last few drops of motor oil from the bottle after I did an oil change and that mobil 1 kept that hinge and the springy roller nice and quiet for the rest of the life of that car
Old 01-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Make sure to check the door itself I thought my hinges were bad but it turned out the fiberglass had caved in
Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

On my trams am I had a similar issue. Turned out the fiberglass was cracked right at the hinge, causing it to hang a little low (had to lift as you closed it). I took it to a shop and they did a temporary fix of riveting a metal plate to the door to close up the crack. Which was fine for years, but never 100% perfect. It always hung about 1/8" low toward the back. Only real fix was getting another door
Old 01-18-2014, 12:44 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

When mine starts making noise I coat the hinges and springs with white lithium grease spray. That typically lasts a year+. That's the white grease coating you see on the hinges of many cars straight from the factory.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jlm_photo
I did some researching on here and didn't find a solid fix for the crazy door hinges on the f bodys. Mine is creaking then popping as it closes. Is there a fix out there now that will work? Does someone have a great write up? I found this door hinge fix kit and also found this kit through Classic Industries but it is pretty expensive (might be worth it if it actually fixes the problem). Any help would be awesome!
your door bushings are probably fine which is what that kit is that you linked. the squeaking is more then likely coming from the pin with the little wheel on it on the hinge body. as others have already said just lube that wheel real good and open and close the door a couple times to free up that wheel. hopefully the wheel didn't get seized up and bend on you. that wheel and pin is replaceable though if need be.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I head that over time the hinges will warp and/or crack because of the crazy *** weight of the doors. Mine are groaning and popping on my 01 convertible. It does feel as if my door is a bit low, as well.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I know whats wrong here, I just took a few pics and a video of the problem. Its the little roller that allows the spring stop to roll. Mine has worn grooves in the metal roller for some reason. Now the door rolls along over the top of the groove and then it will fall into the groove making the popping sound. I will upload the pics and vids in a minute to show what my problem is and maybe explain it to some other people. ALso if anyone knows where I can buy a new lower mount for the drivers side door for relatively cheap let me kno.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is the picture of the groove. I had a video of it but just realized its not in HD and I can do better.
Attached Thumbnails Door Hinge fix?-roller.jpg  
Old 03-15-2014, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok heres that video

If it doesnt load it may be possible its still processing

Old 03-15-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

The door on my T/A does the same thing.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

glad I saw this and looked at mine, they are bone dry. I'm greasing them in the morning. Regarding the spare, I'd search a parts yard for a red one! Or call Hawks and see if you can get one off their hangar queens.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:11 AM
Launching!

Very weird sense of deja vu going on. had the exact same thing happen to me, except to the point where it wouldn't even allow the door to close. after I got told you can't replace just the lower mount due to how it's installed, I just removed the door spring. now it just swings free. It's a little annoying when parking in very steep areas, but lets be honest, if there's a car next to you, chances are you had to hold the long *** door anyways to keep it from dinging theirs.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How about grinding those grooves down? Use a dremel with a small course sand bit and run it through the groove in the pivot wheel, run it around the entire wheel. It will create some slack in the door but will still function and leave intact.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

How about grabbing that collar that is rotating & twist it 180degrees with a pliers or vise-grip? So that 'groove' you mention is on the opposite side.
(No way of telling how long it may stay out of the 'clicking' area tho.)
Old 03-17-2014, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I tried grabbing it and pulling it around, didnt work. I just bought a replacement wheel and pin. I didnt even think to just remove the spring and wheel all together, I might give that a try and just hang on to the new pin and wheel for the passenger side if it ever needs a replacement. My passengers are clumsy enough with the door as it is and I would never just that that one swing freely lol

BTW the replacement was only 15 shipped from ebay, if someone wants a link PM me

Last edited by jaxcam02; 03-17-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so I got the new roller today. Anyone have any tips on how to do this without unbolting anything, if possible. My main thing would be compressing the spring to allow the arm to swing freely.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
Ok so I got the new roller today. Anyone have any tips on how to do this without unbolting anything, if possible. My main thing would be compressing the spring to allow the arm to swing freely.
Yeah I'd love to see how to do this. Where did you get your roller?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlm_photo
Yeah I'd love to see how to do this. Where did you get your roller?
Check PM

Quick Reply: Door Hinge fix?