Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Bmw Ambient light mod (input requested)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 01:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bmw Ambient light mod (input requested)

So I absolutely love how a BMW has this really suddle and dim red glow at night that allows you to see buttons in the car but is not really bright enough for you to distract you or even pay attention to unless your looking for it. I spend half of my time in a car between 0500-0600 driving to work and think this would be an awesome mod to make my life easier in the mornings with my long drive.

Anybody have any input on the best way to go about this? I'm sure red LEDs are a must, but not sure how to get them really dim or which would be the best selection for that. Also not exactly sure what would be the best wire to tap to run only when the headlights are on.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't quite remember the door lighting in the Camaro's but in my TA I wanted the same. I converted all my lights to blue LED's and I also swapped out the door switch LED to a much brighter Blue 5mm LED (I think it was 5mm anyway..its been a while). I also tapped in to the same wiring and soldered another blue LED into the bottom of that section of the door handle. I had to drill a small hole for this LED but it points straight down into the door section and lights up the pocket of the door. That solved the lack of light on the switches and door pockets. If you would like some pictures let me know and I will try to post some. Either way I would find one of your door lights or maybe even something like a traction control button that lights up at night to tap into.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With any LED you can resistor it to get the right brightness you desire, so it's possible. I assume in the BMW it comes in an overhead console to shine downward? Not sure if you have that but could mod something into the base of your mirror maybe.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha...get a third gen rear view mirror because they had one built in

Quick Reply: Bmw Ambient light mod (input requested)